Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Kacee
Meridien and JW not on the strike list either.

If Marriott doesn't resolve this by the end of the month (OpenWorld) it's going to be a total cluster.
What list? Where?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kacee
Meridien and JW not on the strike list either.

If Marriott doesn't resolve this by the end of the month (OpenWorld) it's going to be a total cluster.
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Like a couple others above, I also arrived in SF yesterday. The Palace, St Regis, and W are all be picketed (quite noisily). The Park Central is thankfully unaffected.
Originally Posted by Sabai
Words cannot adequately convey what a fine welcome Arne has prepared for everyone.

Not sure what Arne or Marriott has to do with this. This is a strike by UNITE against certain franchisees with whom they have contracts. For example, the Palace and the Hawaii properties are all operated by Kyo-ya which has the franchise to operate five legacy SPG properties in Hawaii and the Palace. I'm not sure who operates the other legacy SPG or legacy Marriott properties involved in the strike.

What Kyo-ya does for its guests during a strike is up to Kyo-ya and they can decide what to do food wise, rate wise, or point wise. That's why they are a franchise and MI cannot get involved in their labor relations or it risks being deemed as a joint employer .... which is a bad thing! Only Kyo-ya can resolve this. One hopes they will not cave ... despite the guest disruption but that is what strikes are about. Maximize intimidation of customers and management to gain leverage. Unite occasionally does things like follow managers home ... picket outside their houses all night chanting ... and my favorite, follow people while they drop off their kids at school.

That doesn't change the disruption but the union claim that they are striking Marriott is untrue ... but it gets a lot more attention that "UNITE strikes Kyo-ya and other hotel operators."

We should all go picket UNITE
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:09 am
J S

@timezone_trooper: You tried to steel their food? They shouldn't have gotten angry, they should have called the police and had you arrested for petty larceny.

Last edited by J S; Oct 9, 2018 at 11:13 am Reason: Edited to add: this was a reaction to timezone_trooper's post about steeling the picketer's food.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by J S
The W is definitely on the list. Based on my experience, you should stay somewhere else.

Here is the full list of affected hotels: https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/
Many thanks, suspect points availability elsewhere will be a challenge, I’ll look at my options.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by J S
@timezone_trooper: You tried to steel their food? They shouldn't have gotten angry, they should have called the police and had you arrested for petty larceny.
Haha yep good luck with that one - the police can come and find me inside after they navigate the mountain of litter that the picketers have left in front of the property.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious, did you consider calling the police to report the picketers for noise violations?
I absolutely called, but not until I was coming back in and one of the picketers 1) made physical contact with me in an attempt to keep me from going in and 2) blew an incredibly loud rape whistle directly in my face. Fortunately, security stepped in and moved the guy back - but these people are literally crowding the entrance all the way to the front steps for those that are familiar with the property. Response from the police was useless at best, "We are monitoring the situation."
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:31 am
J S

Curious, did you consider calling the police to report the picketers for noise violations?
No, I did not. Mostly because the picketers were not violating any law. They respected the noise curfews in Boston, did not threaten or harass (in the legal sense) anyone and respected all laws to the best of my knowledge.

Also, to be clear, even if someone has committed some petty crime (let's say they littered or did violate a noise ordinance--which I did not see any picketer do), that does not grant me the right to steel from them.

Last edited by J S; Oct 9, 2018 at 11:46 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by J S
No, I did not. Mostly because the picketers were not violating any law. They respected the noise curfews in Boston, did not threaten or harass (in the legal sense) anyone and respected all laws to the best of my knowledge.

Also, to be clear, even if someone has committed some petty crime (let's say they littered or did violate a noise ordinance--which I did not see any picketer do), that does not grant me the right to steel from them.
Well wouldn't this "The picket line is EXTREMELY LOUD and woke me up at 7am each morning (despite being a dozen floors up). You can hear the drumming on 5 gallon buckets from blocks away." violate noise laws? It would likely also violate OSHA regs which is an interesting issue with the union violating safety requirements.

Of course, the practical issue is that the police in Boston and San Fran are both unionized so they won't enforce the law against the unions.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:48 pm
J S

Well wouldn't this "The picket line is EXTREMELY LOUD and woke me up at 7am each morning (despite being a dozen floors up). You can hear the drumming on 5 gallon buckets from blocks away." violate noise laws? It would likely also violate OSHA regs which is an interesting issue with the union violating safety requirements.

Of course, the practical issue is that the police in Boston and San Fran are both unionized so they won't enforce the law against the unions.
You might think so, but as far as I understand (and I am not an expert), as long as it is after 7am (and before 11pm), it does not violate the law in Boston. I have no idea about OSHA regs.

This is getting way off topic. Let's bring it back to questions of Marriott Hotels, points etc., including which hotels are impacted and whether we recommend that our fellow FTers look for other options given the current realities. This is not where we are going to resolve political views regarding organized labor or the appropriateness of strikes as a tactic to resolve disputes.

Last edited by J S; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:33 pm Reason: We are getting way off topic.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Here is the web site (administered by the union) with a list of hotels on the “strike list.”

https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/

Given the wide variety of ownership structures and management contracts, not every Marriott hotel will be on the same contract cycle, and many are non-union. I wouldn’t expect Marriott to proactively rebook people out of these hotels as it would upset hotel owners. With the Marriott/Starwood merger, the union is taking the opportunity to make headlines with a coordinated strike nationwide.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Thanks for the tip.

Side note, since I've effectively loss my breakfast platinum amenity due to the strike, is it reasonable to ask for some sort of compensation for this as well? I realize this is techically a "free" benefit that comes with my status, maybe a stretch?
Wouldn't the 1000 points be the alternative for that?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:08 pm

Wouldn't the 1000 points be the alternative for that?
Oh right, I've never chose this option, and completely forgotten about it.

Would it be too cheeky of me to ask for the 1000 points, considering I've already gotten the breakfast benefit for a few nights, prior to the strike occurring?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Oh right, I've never chose this option, and completely forgotten about it.

Would it be too cheeky of me to ask for the 1000 points, considering I've already gotten the breakfast benefit for a few nights, prior to the strike occurring?
I think it's perfectly reasonable. I'd think the hotels would want to do something to encourage guests and drive loyalty amidst a disruption.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by J S
The W is definitely on the list. Based on my experience, you should stay somewhere else.

Here is the full list of affected hotels: https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/
Does anyone have a list of Starriotts that do not have this union?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone have a list of Starriotts that do not have this union?
unite is the Union at most hotels in the US that are unionized. So no getting away from them other than staying at non-union hotels. This is not a broad attack on Marriott. The union simply has a number of contracts at a handful of operators that are expiring at the same time. They are seeking to Leverage these issues by making it look like it has something to do with Marriott. If you look at their hotel list, it is Westin by Marriott, W by Marriott, Etc.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OK then I'll change my question to a request for a list of Starriott hotels in North America that aren't unionized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.