Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: While this thread exists for people to discuss the economics and merits of the Marriott strike, any discussion of the general merits of labor unions belongs in OMNI. Any posts which address other posters or characterise people using inflammatory language violates FlyerTalk Rules will be deleted without notice.

Contributions around the current atmosphere and service level at specific hotels can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1916714-property-experiences-during-marriott-workers-strike-fall-2018-a-2.html
Print Wikipost

Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by edgewood49
At the end of the day they are shooting themselves in the foot. Too bad someone doesn't publish or post outside the hotels the entire pay package they get. Thats all I will say other than We are looking somewhere else for our holiday trip over this year.'
Strangely, Local 5 was trying to convince at least one convention to not return to Hawaii next year!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
https://wsoe.org/class-action-lawsui...rike-lodgings/

Apparently they didn't have a good experience.......

Class-action lawsuit filed over hotel strike lodgings - Honolulu

A North Carolina doctor and his wife have filed a class-action lawsuit against Marriott International and Kyo-Ya Hotels &Resorts for not telling them that the workers in their hotel were on strike before they came here on their honeymoon.

Dr. Ovais Inamullah and Sana Khalique booked a five-night stay at The Royal Hawaiian for $2,391 and arrived on Oct. 29. By that time the strike was about to enter its fourth week.

Inamullah and Khalique said they were never notified of the strike prior to their arrival. They said the hotel still charged them full booking price even though they were provided no housekeeping, valet parking, room and pool attendant services and very limited to no on-site restaurant and bar service.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Strangely, Local 5 was trying to convince at least one convention to not return to Hawaii next year!
It amazes me their thought process. If one wants to see happens when they push too far turn to Europe. Electronic order machines are the norm for many fast food restaurants, electronic checkin and keys at hotels same at airports and now with baggage tagging.

Equity Capital's drive to the bottom on costs will turn against any gains the unions think they will make. As stated we are looking elsewhere for the holidays and my wife is 50% Hawaiian

Last edited by edgewood49; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:46 pm Reason: forgot something
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, SPG
Hawaii Update

So I just spent the 11/10- 11/12 weekend at the Sheraton Waikiki. I used SPG points and do feel cheated that I got much less than a typical stay would be. Observations:

So what management did is fly in staff from other properties...I met employees from Houston, Dallas, Georgia. They were more than happy to get a trip to Hawaii to do the work and are in no hurry to leave from what they told me. The ones who are there seemed pleasant, helpful and apologetic for the disruptions. Checking in was backed up some but staffing no different than normal (i.e. 4-5 employees at the desk).

For food, the staff set out everything in the breakfast buffet as usual, and then it is entirely self-serve with disposable plates and utensils. For the lounge, I did not notice any drop-off in offerings, but again all disposable. Big difference at the pool, as no waiter service--pretty disappointing to be poolside and not be able to order a drink or food. I think other restaurants on the property were closed or had reduced hours. But in Waikiki where the affected hotels are, there are 50+ decent food options so no big concern.

Housekeeping is also self-service. Numerous supplies were set out near the elevators where you could grab toiletries, TP, water and so on. The housekeepers they do have are there to changeover the rooms. My room looked fine at check-in but it was two hours later than normal check-in before I got to check in my room (they did give me a key to the lounge). I guess it is the same as "make a green choice" housekeeping if you don't mind that.

As for the union, it had been 34-36 days since they strike started but there were no signs of backing off. I was 25 floors up and their chants and megaphones sounded like they were on my balcony. Hawaii's government is very pro-union (and wants the hotels to give in and settle according to newspaper reports) so there seems to be no limits to the time, megaphone volume or locations for the disruption. Even on a Sunday morning they were up and loud by 7 AM no less. And forget any respect to veterans on Veterans Day, they were out early and loud. Many of them stand on the walkway by the pool and right out in front of the entrance for check-in. Most people just ignored them and went on, and the hotel and pool areas did not seem affected. Many of us were grateful for our ear buds to ignore them.

But make no mistake, this is a very "in your face" group of strikers so beware if you are not comfortable ignoring people. And the word is the hotels are prepared for this to last into 2019. I guess that makes some sense given this is typically the low season (other than Christmas week) and there is winter elsewhere so they have no worries about finding other staff to fly in and run the hotels.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:28 am

At the end of the day they are only shooting themselves in the foot. Interesting no one has published their complete pay package

Last edited by yosithezet; Nov 15, 2018 at 2:03 am Reason: Removed large quote.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course not, but also interesting that the local/state government doesn't realize that raising the prices that tourists pay will decrease tourism and be bad for the local economy. Basically, they're striking to eliminate jobs, their own and other local workers.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course not, but also interesting that the local/state government doesn't realize that raising the prices that tourists pay will decrease tourism and be bad for the local economy. Basically, they're striking to eliminate jobs, their own and other local workers.
They don't think that way. In Hawaii the strike is for increased pay which if one looks at their demands it amounts to higher than the average worker in the state. I just had a staff member change their TG plans due to the strike and I too am changing my after Christmas trip.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
They don't think that way. In Hawaii the strike is for increased pay which if one looks at their demands it amounts to higher than the average worker in the state. I just had a staff member change their TG plans due to the strike and I too am changing my after Christmas trip.
Still think it was interesting the union was lobbying the ADA to not return to Hawaii next year for their convention.

And, of course, $22 an hour plus a pension and medical is very generous for housekeeping.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:15 am

Still think it was interesting the union was lobbying the ADA to not return to Hawaii next year for their convention.

And, of course, $22 an hour plus a pension and medical is very generous for housekeeping.
Look at the statewide average income for workers then look at the union but one must breakdown their package that's where the real costs are. We all should be so lucky to have their medical/sick/vacation/pension plan
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

What is your source for this claim?

It has been well documented that things were made to be difficult for the ADA attendees during their convention last month. They union may have even suggested the ADA cancel the recent convention.

NOWHERE have I seen that the union has targeted next year's convention. The ADA did not sign an agreement for next year, before they left Hawaii, but that is not unusual. The ADA told the convention center "..let’s revisit in January".
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Here is the Marquis 20:20

I have to chuckle, a CA striker, union member, assumed left leaning due to their evident choices, stating that a program designed to "help" the environment is hurting them.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
What is your source for this claim?

It has been well documented that things were made to be difficult for the ADA attendees during their convention last month. They union may have even suggested the ADA cancel the recent convention.

NOWHERE have I seen that the union has targeted next year's convention. The ADA did not sign an agreement for next year, before they left Hawaii, but that is not unusual. The ADA told the convention center "..let’s revisit in January".
There was a quote by the Unite HERE Local 5 President that I can't seem to find which I suppose was more insistent that they don't sign anything while they are on strike. I believe it is unusual to not sign the agreement for next year.

And, of course, large conventions require a lot of advance planning. Once you make it difficult or persuade them to try somewhere else, they may not come back. Scottsdale would certainly welcome the convention as would some other places that don't have union issues.

Plus, the union went out of their way to target the ADA. Didn't they do an "informational" picket even at non-Marriott locations just to be difficult? Was the Blaisdell protest (Blaisdell is the unionized entertainment venue in Honolulu and has not connection with Marriott) during the ADA convention or was it during another one?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
There was a quote by the Unite HERE Local 5 President that I can't seem to find which I suppose was more insistent that they don't sign anything while they are on strike. I believe it is unusual to not sign the agreement for next year.

Plus, the union went out of their way to target the ADA. Didn't they do an "informational" picket even at non-Marriott locations just to be difficult? Was the Blaisdell protest (Blaisdell is the unionized entertainment venue in Honolulu and has not connection with Marriott) during the ADA convention or was it during another one?
Blaisdell was never targeted in regards to this strike.

Not looking to pick a fight, but....
I don't like seeing mistruths, and nobody should be supposing around here, when facts are readily available. And if you can't find something through google, then it doesn't exist.

From StarAdvertiser:

Teri Orton, general manager of the AEG-managed Hawai‘i Convention Center,.......

“We presented an offer, but in light of the strike and all of that, they said let’s revisit in January,” Orton said. “Most groups don’t sign right there, but we were hopeful that they would consider signing before they left.”

Good luck trying to get 30,000 dentists excited about visiting Scottsdale.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also for example what long time labor activist cleve jones currently tweeting
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I have a stay coming up at the Ritz Boston in a few weeks. I booked a club room, but from what I'm reading there will be no club if the strike is still going on. So i booked the hyatt as a backup.

The longer this goes on, i wonder at what point they just try to replace the workers (if that's even possible). How long can a Ritz go on with no club, no bar, limited service, etc.? The rates are high like usual too, so I can understand all the negative reviews. I'd be furious to pay full price for what people are describing.

They should begin replacing the workers and get on with life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.