Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by christianj
If I have a regular points award night booked at a 35k property can I somehow change the points reservation to a reservation using one of my Amex 35k free credit card certificates? Normally I would just book a new reservation using the certificate and cancel the points award reservation but the hotel is not showing any availability now for the night I need.
Open your reservation and click on modify. Choose same room type and you will be asked if you want to pay with points, points advance or cert. You can change your payment to a cert at that point.
Brendan and happychic like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Open your reservation and click on modify. Choose same room type and you will be asked if you want to pay with points, points advance or cert. You can change your payment to a cert at that point.
Thanks! Will try that tomorrow from my office pc. I hit the modify button but I didn’t see the option today but I assume it was because I didn’t pick a room type.
Brendan and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
A BIG thanks to @margarita girl....it worked like a charm! ^

First function of the Marriott site I have found that I actually like.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
A BIG thanks to @margarita girl....it worked like a charm! ^

First function of the Marriott site I have found that I actually like.
Great. Thanks for letting us know. Someone else on FT is the one who tipped me off to this when Marriott took the liberty of removing points from our accounts to apply to all our Points Advance reservations. I was able to undo everything Marriott did by applying the same steps. ^

Oh, you have to try the Chat feature that shows up about 2 days before arrival, and lasts for about a day after departure. I used it to have ice sent up to my room while I was lolling on the beach in Phu Quoc. Also used it to contact the Plaza Athenee when I left an item in my hotel room. Made arrangements to have it sent to SGS where another friend brought it to me in SIN! Chat goes directly to the hotel, and they typically answer in less than 30 secs.
Brendan and christianj like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I posted this message earlier in a thread that is still in the legacy Marriott Forum. I guess this is now the more appropriate place.

I never thought I'd get to the point of discussing a very specific edge case. I have a Visa Free Night Cert that is now valid at hotels up to 25K (from the old Premier card before I upgraded. This cert has already been extended once and after the second extension it now expires on 05/22/2019. I strongly doubt that Marriott will extend a second time. Unfortunately I jumped the gun when I called for the extension last year and lost nearly a month off the original expiry.

So, do I need to have completed my stay as of 5/22 (i.e. checkout of the hotel) or can I check in for a stay on 5/22 (the day the cert expires) with a checkout the day after? I could start my Memorial Day vacation early.
Anyone try taking it to the very end?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I posted this message earlier in a thread that is still in the legacy Marriott Forum. I guess this is now the more appropriate place.

Anyone try taking it to the very end?
If it let's you make the booking then you should be fine. Far as I'm aware you won't be able to attach the certificate past it's expiration date.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by anam
If it let's you make the booking then you should be fine. Far as I'm aware you won't be able to attach the certificate past it's expiration date.
Wow Thanks! I had no idea of this functionality. Previously Marriott used to allow any currently valid cert onto a reservation and if they had expired at the time of the stay the hotel would pull points. This is certainly a real enhancement!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
quick data point (inadvertently cross posted in the old marriott forum): i was able to extend a visa 25,000 expiring cert until next year. made a quick call and helpful agent took care of it. she did caution me the expiration date would be a year from today, not a year from feb 13 when cert actually expires, so if it matters the closer to the actual date of expiration, the better.
Good data point. Which phone number did you call? Elite hotline or regular? Tried to call the regular customer service line but it was so busy that I hang up after waiting for 10+ mins. May try to call gold elite phone line later.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
got my 15 nights elite credit for my bonvoy business amex this morning....but no free night cert as of now....has anyone had that post to their account yet????
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
...but no free night cert as of now....has anyone had that post to their account yet????
Lots of people. Got both of mine and used them already! The Amex free night posts on the 2nd of the month 60-90 days after your renewal date.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Lots of people. Got both of mine and used them already! The Amex free night posts on the 2nd of the month 60-90 days after your renewal date.
wow, that is a long time to wait for the free night....one card renewed last week & the other renews next month....i guess i won't see these free nights till may or june....
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow, that is a long time to wait for the free night....one card renewed last week & the other renews next month....i guess i won't see these free nights till may or june....
Perhaps to dissuade people from getting their free night, then canceling the card? See post # 66 here for an example.

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Certs started posting on Oct 2 and have been showing up ever since per this thread.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 27, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

We received our free nights about 10-15 days after the anniversary stmt.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
We received our free nights about 10-15 days after the anniversary stmt.
the t&c state 6-8 weeks after anniversary date so i guess if i don't receive them soon then there is no choice but to wait....i was planning on using them during a family vacation in june....hopefully i will have them by then....
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
Free Night Award Certificate

I know it's a silly question and I probably know what answer to expect, but for the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX Free Night Award e-certificate (valued at 35,000 points) can it really only be used for ONE night at cat-5 hotels (and lower)?

Or can I use it at a lower category hotel (i.e. cat-2 or cat-3) for 2 nights as long as the value adds up to 35,000 points required for the room/stay?

2 x Cat 2 = 25,000 points (non-peak)
2 x Cat 3 = 35,000 points (non-peak)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.