Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by af fp
So I just checked and there is only 1 certificate left on my account. The 2 extra ones that were clearly a mistake are gone.
Yep, mine as well. A shame, too, since it seemed like a small gesture to make for renewing holders of Amex Biz. Especially considering that new applicants for that card get 2 50K certs upon minimum spend. Oh well, last year for the card for me.
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
FWIW, I had no luck. Also, shot down quite firmly. Even spoke to supervisor. Perhaps they make exceptions for Titanium Elites. I only have Gold. 35k value sucks too, I would have used them if they were 50k (or the 50k hotels were 35k 😪
I am titanium and called in and they said wait until 2 weeks prior to expiration. I have like 6 that's expiring...
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:20 pm

I just got the new Marriott Bonvoy card, part of the deal is I get one free night after spending $5k in a property up to 50K points.

I read the Wiki but still have a question, does the stay have to be completed by the expiration date or just booked by the certificate expiration date ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 22, 2021 at 7:01 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:04 pm

You must complete the stay by the exp date.
SPN Lifer and flyer4512 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by zhan
I am titanium and called in and they said wait until 2 weeks prior to expiration. I have like 6 that's expiring...
Yeah but that is taking a chance

If they expire on Jan 3 , you must complete stay by Jan 3 or boo by Jan 3? I'm assuming its complete stay but figured Id ask
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Yeah but that is taking a chance

If they expire on Jan 3 , you must complete stay by Jan 3 or boo by Jan 3? I'm assuming its complete stay but figured Id ask
Complete your stay by Jan 3.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
FWIW, I had not issues calling in this weekend and getting two Jan 2022 expiring certs (35k and 50k) extended thru Oct 2022. But, if you don't have an immediate use for them it might be worth waiting to see what is announced about automatic extensions.

-FlyerBeek
I have two 35K certs. I'll try calling mid-November. I've been trying to find a Category 5 (35,000 std award) redemption at an interesting locale, but all of those properties have peak redemptions (40K). I stayed (paid) at a Category 5 not too long ago, it too required a peak redemption, and it was a ghost town. So I guess more money grabs and less customer orientation! If these can't be extended, I'll likely drop my two Chase Marriott cards.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just went to make a res at a Cat 4 RI that had two options for points - a studio for 30K, and a 1 BR suite for 34K. Since my cert is for 35, I thought I could book the 1 BR, but it would not let me. I just don't understand this since the points were still below the value of my certificate. Frustrating.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:19 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just went to make a res at a Cat 4 RI that had two options for points - a studio for 30K, and a 1 BR suite for 34K. Since my cert is for 35, I thought I could book the 1 BR, but it would not let me. I just don't understand this since the points were still below the value of my certificate. Frustrating.
Isn't the 34K option considered an "upgrade"? I am frustrated with trying to use these FNAs as well. I have already downgraded my Chase one to the no AF version and plan to cancel my Amex one next year.

LAX
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
Isn't the 34K option considered an "upgrade"? I am frustrated with trying to use these FNAs as well. I have already downgraded my Chase one to the no AF version and plan to cancel my Amex one next year.

LAX
I think you're probably right, but it's still a Cat 1-5 and still below the 35K value. The studio will be fine. And since the rate is over $200 for the night I'm ok with it.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by lamphs
I have two 35K certs. I'll try calling mid-November. I've been trying to find a Category 5 (35,000 std award) redemption at an interesting locale, but all of those properties have peak redemptions (40K). I stayed (paid) at a Category 5 not too long ago, it too required a peak redemption, and it was a ghost town. So I guess more money grabs and less customer orientation! If these can't be extended, I'll likely drop my two Chase Marriott cards.
Sounds like a decent plan for now. Definitely never hurts to ask. I doubt it will make a difference, but I'd certainly consider letting Chance and Bonvoy know if you cancel your two cards on account of this issue. FWIW, it seems like the 50k certs are the new 35ks certs. I've seen plenty of completely empty properties that are still pricing in the peak range making it more difficult to use these certs. That being said, with enough flexibility I've still been able to get very good value out of my 50k certs recently.

-FlyerBeek
Boraxo and lamphs like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lamphs
I'll likely drop my two Chase Marriott cards.
The situation won't improve going forward. The Chase boundless still only offers a 35K annual certs (after the initial 50K cert). Trying to use the 35K certs in any limited time frame is an exercise in frustration. The 35K certs are now more unusable than the 25K certs were a couple of years ago.
Boraxo, margarita girl and lamphs like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The situation won't improve going forward. The Chase boundless still only offers a 35K annual certs (after the initial 50K cert). Trying to use the 35K certs in any limited time frame is an exercise in frustration. The 35K certs are now more unusable than the 25K certs were a couple of years ago.
That is not my experience, I have had little problem finding good use for the certificates. Certainly they have been significantly downgraded over the past few years. I am using two 35k certificates in Paris next month and the regular rate is close to $200 a night. Not great but a good reward for the $95 spent on the cards.
SPN Lifer, Adam1222 and WasKnown like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by zhan
Has any platinum or lower been granted an extension recently?

I suppose by now Marriott would have already announced any further automatic extensions.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:26 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
That is not my experience, I have had little problem finding good use for the certificates. Certainly they have been significantly downgraded over the past few years. I am using two 35k certificates in Paris next month and the regular rate is close to $200 a night. Not great but a good reward for the $95 spent on the cards.
People are always going to (unreasonably imo) whine about the Marriott FNCs. It’s weird. Somehow it’s OK to burn a Hyatt cat 1-4 cert at Gild Hall ($160 rn) but apparently too hard to burn the Marriott 35K FNC when places like the AC NYC Downtown are always options ($160 rn).

Let’s assume a worst case scenario and you cannot redeem the certs at a cat 5 due to peak pricing so you redeem it a peak cat 4 (30K points). With a $95 AF discounted 15% to 109.25, we are talking about getting Marriott points at a 0.36 cents per point valuation. If redeeming Bonvoy points for something in excess of that is a challenge for someone, I don’t think it’s particularly productive for that person to engage with Bonvoy at all.
Adam1222 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.