Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dreamwalker

Useless might have been a bad stretch of words, but after just using two hilton for Waldorf Astoria Maldives and two hyatt for Andaz Savannah just feels like Marriott has become the most difficult. It wasn't like this right when SPG and them merged. I'm sure that was to appease SPG loyalist for a but though..
The free night that you used at the WA Astoria Maldives was not from a $95 a year credit card, was it?

I just checked the Saturday night of July 4 weekend, which is one of the most peak travel nights of the year in DC. There are three properties within DC available for 35k or under, and 17 in Arlington and Alexandria. (Both the Westin and Sheraton Suites in Alexandria have excellent locations, though I'm not sure what your boys weekend has planned.)
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:33 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
You picked a Sunday - Monday if I viewed my calendar correctly. Friday or Saturday is what we need. My buddy and I went through every weekend for DC till 9/10 and didn't see much. I dont really find then as a win anymore. I plan to cancel the two Marriott cards I have as the fees come due. I shouldn't have to plan trips around hotels to get value out of them. The Hilton, IHg and Hyatt nights have all been easy to use with little to no effort.

The 4th is a Sunday. The value tends to be really bad on a Friday or Saturday. Hotels seem to be flipping peak times just because. The local baseball team in Stl plays and its all 40k even though to my knowledge the stadium doesn't allow full capacity yet.

Useless might have been a bad stretch of words, but after just using two hilton for Waldorf Astoria Maldives and two hyatt for Andaz Savannah just feels like Marriott has become the most difficult. It wasn't like this right when SPG and them merged. I'm sure that was to appease SPG loyalist for a but though..
Like I said: If you want to stay at a nicer property, you need to be flexible on dates. If you want to stay on a specific date, you need to be flexible on the property quality.

The Hilton weekend night cert is definitely much more powerful than the Marriott FNAs. No arguments there and I do not think I ever suggested otherwise. However, Hilton also has far less luxury properties to use the certs at and (IMO) much worse elite recognition. Nothing is perfect but I am happy with both my Hilton Aspires AND my Marriott cards.

I’m just not sure the expectations people have for these $95 -$150 certificates is realistic. You’re citing aspirational properties like the WA Astoria Maldives and comparing it to a hotel room you’re paying $95 for. Is that a realistic bar to set? Expectations are the thieves of joy.

FWIW, I think the trouble redeeming certs is more of a US problem than a Marriott problem. IE NYC is a city where Fairfield Inns are category 6 properties. Conversely, I have had much success redeeming my CC certificates at places like the St Regis Jingan and JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. You can even redeem a 35K FNA at the Le Meridien Maldives for an over the water villa.

At a certain point, travel optimization and points can only get you so far. If you really want the flexibility to easily stay at ANY property you want at ANY time you want, no credit card or FNA will get you there. You’ll just have to make a redemption using the other currency you’re accumulating… dollars!

Last edited by WasKnown; May 10, 2021 at 9:38 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Like I said: If you want to stay at a nicer property, you need to be flexible on dates. If you want to stay on a specific date, you need to be flexible on the property quality.
couldnt agree more. you cant have everything when you are trying to redeem "free" stay

and to be frank, when i was checking for my target hotels, i noticed they also sometimes blocked out fri or sat as peak day even on a non-peak travel month

so wanting july 4th holiday and wanting fri/sat during a july 4th weekend is asking for a lot
Adam1222 and WasKnown like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The free night that you used at the WA Astoria Maldives was not from a $95 a year credit card, was it?

I just checked the Saturday night of July 4 weekend, which is one of the most peak travel nights of the year in DC. There are three properties within DC available for 35k or under, and 17 in Arlington and Alexandria. (Both the Westin and Sheraton Suites in Alexandria have excellent locations, though I'm not sure what your boys weekend has planned.)
Yes, it was from my $450 card and my wives $95 Surpass card as part of a welcome offer she got. So it was the same night whether from a $450 card or a $95 card. I imagine it being attached to a welcome offer and high spend is part of the reason its so good. I miss the days of any hotel with IHG and Hyatt. It was not a standard every year free night though, but it was the same free night that Hilton offers for $450, X amount of spend for Surpass I think its 60,000 though that might only be for the Aspire I can't remember at this point.

Last edited by Dreamwalker; May 11, 2021 at 9:31 am Reason: Update
Old May 11, 2021, 9:24 am

The Hilton weekend night cert is definitely much more powerful than the Marriott FNAs. No arguments there and I do not think I ever suggested otherwise. However, Hilton also has far less luxury properties to use the certs at and (IMO) much worse elite recognition. Nothing is perfect but I am happy with both my Hilton Aspires AND my Marriott cards.

I’m just not sure the expectations people have for these $95 -$150 certificates is realistic. You’re citing aspirational properties like the WA Astoria Maldives and comparing it to a hotel room you’re paying $95 for. Is that a realistic bar to set? Expectations are the thieves of joy.

FWIW, I think the trouble redeeming certs is more of a US problem than a Marriott problem. IE NYC is a city where Fairfield Inns are category 6 properties. Conversely, I have had much success redeeming my CC certificates at places like the St Regis Jingan and JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. You can even redeem a 35K FNA at the Le Meridien Maldives for an over the water villa.

At a certain point, travel optimization and points can only get you so far. If you really want the flexibility to easily stay at ANY property you want at ANY time you want, no credit card or FNA will get you there. You’ll just have to make a redemption using the other currency you’re accumulating… dollars!
I think we just view this differently. I'm not saying you're wrong, I actually agree with the general theme at the top. I'm not against having flexible dates or lower quality properties, though I tend to like Aspirational properties. I do stay at a good number of Holiday Inn Expresses with the IHG free night. My point was that Marriott seems extremely difficult compared to the other programs from my experience. To each their own, the program really lost a lot of value in my opinion and I plan to be moving towards Hilton and Hyatt. I have found Hilton to be the better partner of late, but that could be because I have diamond status through Aspire and only Gold at Marriott.

I personally find the recognition at Hilton pretty good the last few stays I've had, but most of those were Conrads or Waldorf Astoria's. I haven't stayed in a ton of them either since Covid hit. I've searched a lot and perhaps I'm not going far enough out of cities, but the earlier example of 3 hotels in DC under 35,000 points when there are more than 10 hotels seems like they don't like the free nights. The hotels must not get reimbursed very well for these.

My expectations for these cards aren't that high truthfully, my preference are. I am perfectly find with a $110 - $125 free night if I can make it work, though I find of late I could pay for some hotels that are a little better in dollars and stay at a better place, because the cost of the nights aren't that high though they are steadily creeping back up. I just wanted to see if others are having trouble too as I'm the only person in my life doing points haha. No one to ask besides here. It seems some still love them and some don't. Just like everything

I wish I still saw value, I hate the idea of giving up two $95 nights, but I don't see me being able to take any advantages of the overseas for a while after the honeymoon I just went on. So my guess is you're right and its a US problem. I told my buddy if we were going to Thailand or China we'd have no issues using this. I wonder why they make the US so difficult.

Thanks for all the feedback! It was great to hear different opinions
Brendan, SPN Lifer and cfabar1 like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
couldnt agree more. you cant have everything when you are trying to redeem "free" stay

and to be frank, when i was checking for my target hotels, i noticed they also sometimes blocked out fri or sat as peak day even on a non-peak travel month

so wanting july 4th holiday and wanting fri/sat during a july 4th weekend is asking for a lot
Personally we were just looking for the summer. We started June 5th and went from there. We didn't find much till September 10th/11th that was in DC. Now granted an earlier person mentioned Arlington and Alexandria. I did not look to see how far that was from DC or do much research as we planned to walk as my buddy is a history buff and I like it too, prefer Egyptian and Roman history over ours, but I still find it enjoyable. I think the reason the 4th got stuck in everyone's mind is someone made a post showing it had 35000 and I said it was a Sunday unless my original post had a issue, which it could.

Again, thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Nice to see other thoughts. Looks like I'm in minority with frustration for these $95 nights.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:35 am

Personally we were just looking for the summer. We started June 5th and went from there. We didn't find much till September 10th/11th that was in DC. Now granted an earlier person mentioned Arlington and Alexandria. I did not look to see how far that was from DC or do much research as we planned to walk as my buddy is a history buff and I like it too, prefer Egyptian and Roman history over ours, but I still find it enjoyable. I think the reason the 4th got stuck in everyone's mind is someone made a post showing it had 35000 and I said it was a Sunday unless my original post had a issue, which it could.

Again, thanks for all the feedback from everyone. Nice to see other thoughts. Looks like I'm in minority with frustration for these $95 nights.
Arlington is a reasonable choice. it is just right across the river and in fact is close to where DCA airport is if you fly there. Alexandria is a bit further and wouldnt work as well if you want to be close to DC museums

I think summer months are tough. personally i booked October to avoid all these issues. and non peak dates can be found easier.
Dreamwalker likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I completely agree that the certificates are very difficult to use compared to other programs certificates. I have been quite flexible with searching for Category 5 full services Southeast hotels (Florida, Georgia, NC, SC, mostly) for many weeknights and weekend nights.

I am wondering if the key may be to use the certificates earlier, rather than too close out to travel. Maybe the key is to book as close to the 13 month window as possible?

Hyatt is MUCH easier to use, and there are some wonderful category 4 properties to enjoy.

That said, you just have to earn back the $95, $125 you paid for it to be valuable, and that isn’t that hard. So, maybe I shouldn’t complain too much.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The trouble is that, due to increasing post-COVID demand, Bonvoy raised almost everything to High/ Peak Season on April 18 for the spring & summer! I can understand Florida, but weekends in DC were always Low Season, esp, in summer, because those hotels fill up with people doing business with the govt. Mon.--Thur.! So money-paid rates on most weekends are half-price of worknights, or even cheaper.
SPN Lifer and Dreamwalker like this.

Last edited by Brendan; May 11, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 12:10 pm

deleted. wrong forum.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I used July 4 as an example because it is the most in-demand night of the year in Washington DC. I think other people may have then gone off that.
There are properties in Arlington and Alexandria that are more convenient to museums and monuments than some of the properties within the District. And Old Town Alexandria is quite historical and walkable itself. Plus, the rooms at the Westin and Sheraton there are likely larger than the ones at hotels like the AC in DC.
Dreamwalker likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; May 11, 2021 at 4:37 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 11, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I think we just view this differently. I'm not saying you're wrong, I actually agree with the general theme at the top. I'm not against having flexible dates or lower quality properties, though I tend to like Aspirational properties. I do stay at a good number of Holiday Inn Expresses with the IHG free night. My point was that Marriott seems extremely difficult compared to the other programs from my experience. To each their own, the program really lost a lot of value in my opinion and I plan to be moving towards Hilton and Hyatt. I have found Hilton to be the better partner of late, but that could be because I have diamond status through Aspire and only Gold at Marriott.

I personally find the recognition at Hilton pretty good the last few stays I've had, but most of those were Conrads or Waldorf Astoria's. I haven't stayed in a ton of them either since Covid hit. I've searched a lot and perhaps I'm not going far enough out of cities, but the earlier example of 3 hotels in DC under 35,000 points when there are more than 10 hotels seems like they don't like the free nights. The hotels must not get reimbursed very well for these.

My expectations for these cards aren't that high truthfully, my preference are. I am perfectly find with a $110 - $125 free night if I can make it work, though I find of late I could pay for some hotels that are a little better in dollars and stay at a better place, because the cost of the nights aren't that high though they are steadily creeping back up. I just wanted to see if others are having trouble too as I'm the only person in my life doing points haha. No one to ask besides here. It seems some still love them and some don't. Just like everything

I wish I still saw value, I hate the idea of giving up two $95 nights, but I don't see me being able to take any advantages of the overseas for a while after the honeymoon I just went on. So my guess is you're right and its a US problem. I told my buddy if we were going to Thailand or China we'd have no issues using this. I wonder why they make the US so difficult.

Thanks for all the feedback! It was great to hear different opinions
Thank you, the context in this comment has colored a few things in for me.

I think your comparisons are not fair for most frequent travelers but they can make sense in other contexts. For example, comparing Hilton Honors Diamond (Hilton’s top status) to Marriott Bonvoy Gold (Marriott’s second lowest status) only makes sense if you are relying purely on credit cards for hotel status. For many people on this forum that hold top tier status in multiple programs, a comparison of HH Diamond vs WoH Globalist vs Bonvoy Titanium is more reasonable. We have a discussion in the Hilton forum about our frustrations with HH Diamond that is worth checking out. In my personal experience, I have found HH Diamond to be weaker even in Asia (ie Waldorf Astoria Bangkok only upgrades Diamonds to studios whereas the nearby St Regis Bangkok offers multiple category upgrades to one of the hotel’s best 1 bedroom suites). However, any top tier status comparison is moot if earning the other status options is not on the table. If your best path is through a CC, Hilton wins without question. (Also, I have a post on IG about different loyalty programs that you might find interesting
)

I also now understand your comparison between the Aspire cert and the $95 Marriott certificate. The Aspire certificate costs much more than the $95 Marriott certificate and you need to make the Aspire travel credits work for you. This is ok with one card but becomes far more difficult when you hold multiple credit cards awarding similar credits. An apples to apples comparison would be to the 50K Brilliant FNA (which I have used at the iconic JW Essex House).

Even with a couple of Amex Aspires and dedicated spend toward earning another cert, there is a low limit to how many Hilton weekend FNAs one person can feasibly acquire. For people that are traveling very frequently, this low limit means that FNAs don’t compete against one another because their travel far exceeds what can be covered with FNAs. Rather, they compete against their own cost. As others have mentioned in this thread, the barometer for value should be comparing the FNA redemption against the $95 you paid for it. What type of hotel can you get in DC on the 4th of July Weekend for $95?

I love my FNAs from Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt because I always get more than I put in. I currently get 2 Hilton weekend FNAs, 3 Marriott FNAs (1 Brilliant 50K, 1 Business 35K, and 1 Titanium choice 40K), and 1 Hyatt FNA. All of those FNAs account for ~5% of my actual travel. I agree that Hyatt’s and especially Hilton’s FNAs deliver more value. However, so long as I get more out of Marriott FNAs than I put in, I do not feel a desire to cancel them. In fact, if I could get more FNAs for ~$100 of similar quality from any chain, I would jump at the opportunity!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:33 pm

Thank you, the context in this comment has colored a few things in for me.

I think your comparisons are not fair for most frequent travelers but they can make sense in other contexts. For example, comparing Hilton Honors Diamond (Hilton’s top status) to Marriott Bonvoy Gold (Marriott’s second lowest status) only makes sense if you are relying purely on credit cards for hotel status. For many people on this forum that hold top tier status in multiple programs, a comparison of HH Diamond vs WoH Globalist vs Bonvoy Titanium is more reasonable. We have a discussion in the Hilton forum about our frustrations with HH Diamond that is worth checking out. In my personal experience, I have found HH Diamond to be weaker even in Asia (ie Waldorf Astoria Bangkok only upgrades Diamonds to studios whereas the nearby St Regis Bangkok offers multiple category upgrades to one of the hotel’s best 1 bedroom suites). However, any top tier status comparison is moot if earning the other status options is not on the table. If your best path is through a CC, Hilton wins without question. (Also, I have a post on IG about different loyalty programs that you might find interesting https://www.instagram.com/p/COsrUrvj...d=rh2ny7ow5mxo)

I also now understand your comparison between the Aspire cert and the $95 Marriott certificate. The Aspire certificate costs much more than the $95 Marriott certificate and you need to make the Aspire travel credits work for you. This is ok with one card but becomes far more difficult when you hold multiple credit cards awarding similar credits. An apples to apples comparison would be to the 50K Brilliant FNA (which I have used at the iconic JW Essex House).

Even with a couple of Amex Aspires and dedicated spend toward earning another cert, there is a low limit to how many Hilton weekend FNAs one person can feasibly acquire. For people that are traveling very frequently, this low limit means that FNAs don’t compete against one another because their travel far exceeds what can be covered with FNAs. Rather, they compete against their own cost. As others have mentioned in this thread, the barometer for value should be comparing the FNA redemption against the $95 you paid for it. What type of hotel can you get in DC on the 4th of July Weekend for $95?

I love my FNAs from Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt because I always get more than I put in. I currently get 2 Hilton weekend FNAs, 3 Marriott FNAs (1 Brilliant 50K, 1 Business 35K, and 1 Titanium choice 40K), and 1 Hyatt FNA. All of those FNAs account for ~5% of my actual travel. I agree that Hyatt’s and especially Hilton’s FNAs deliver more value. However, so long as I get more out of Marriott FNAs than I put in, I do not feel a desire to cancel them. In fact, if I could get more FNAs for ~$100 of similar quality from any chain, I would jump at the opportunity!
You probably travel more than I do especially during the Covid Emergency as I've had one trip in 14-16 months. I've never had above Marriott Gold as it never seemed worth obtaining. I've earned Diamond via credit card and via travel for work in the past. I never found it that bad. I was upgraded at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives to an overwater villa for a 2 nights of my 7 day stay. The breakfast was what mattered to me saving the $910.

I've had Hyatt top tier status and found it nice too. However I'm rarely impressed by an upgraded room as they aren't going to upgrade you to the presidential suite or anything that nice so I rarely find upgrades that appealing. I wasn't that impressed with the upgrade in Maldives I actually preferred the standard room.

All this said you seem pretty dedicated to Marriott and I don't value the free nights as free they cost me $95. I dont use my hotel cards much as I'm often hitting a spend on another card. I dont travel alone I have a significant other or a couple we travel with so often we take one ...... trip as a couple a year along with small trips with the other couple. I try to cover as much as possible with my friends points, free nights , credits etc. That being said I've never been very fond of Marriott and they don't seem to care about loyalty as much from my perspective. I've had some bad experiences with them. All that said I feel you're missing the point of all my posts. It wasn't a complaint it was simply do others find Marriott difficult? I do and it's not worth the $190 to me considering I can't even use them for baseball games anymore. I put little spend on Marriott cards because I don't value their points like I used to with Spg though I did transfer a ton of Marriott points to American for business Qatar seats.

We just view them differently as you travel internationally More than I. I know there are aspirational JW Marriotts in Asia for low points. I'm trying to use my free nights for weekend trips or ball games etc.

Thanks again for your perspective it just doesn't seem to fit my situation as you are looking for upgrades I'm not.

One other thing I wasn't comparing the Aspire cert and $95 Marriott. I was saying I had a $450 Hilton Cert and a $95 Hilton cert that did the exact same.

There are Sheraton, Westin, Courtyards and Fairfields all for right around $87-105. Sheraton and Westin under $95. None of them less than 40k points.

One other thing I wasn't comparing the Aspire cert and $95 Marriott. I was saying I had a $450 Hilton Cert and a $95 Hilton cert that did the exact same.

Last edited by Dreamwalker; May 11, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 2:34 pm

Your ig post isn't finished? I didn't see IHG comments in it. You have a typo on one slide missing the word value I think it was a good post. I thought Marriott and Hilton were closer in footprint.

I dont know that I believe Marriott leans luxury. I think that was SPG so now Marriott. Marriotts DNA says business to me.

You don't see luxury at Hilton? I found Luxury hotels with them often. Completely agree about Hyatt. I miss my Diamond status with them from years ago.

Last edited by Dreamwalker; May 11, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 4:52 pm

Your ig post isn't finished? I didn't see IHG comments in it. You have a typo on one slide missing the word value I think it was a good post. I thought Marriott and Hilton were closer in footprint.

I dont know that I believe Marriott leans luxury. I think that was SPG so now Marriott. Marriotts DNA says business to me.

You don't see luxury at Hilton? I found Luxury hotels with them often. Completely agree about Hyatt. I miss my Diamond status with them from years ago.
It’s part 1! Instagram only lets you have 10 pictures per post. Here is part 2:
. It also shows my personal hotel strategy and the reasoning behind it :P. Sorry for typos, I pretty much write everything (including my FT essays lol) on my phone.

I didn’t say Marriott leans luxury! I said Hyatt does :P Marriott does have a great luxury portfolio after the Starwood acquisition though.

I also did not say there is no luxury at Hilton… I said Hilton has a weak luxury portfolio compared to Hyatt and Marriott. I don’t think that’s controversial lol. Wikipedia says Waldorf Astoria has 32 locations. In general, Conrad Hilton straddles the line of upper upscale and luxury (like JW Marriott imo) but even if we count it as luxury, Wikipedia says it only has 39 locations. The LXR soft brand has under 10 locations. Conversely… Ritz Carlton alone has 108 locations. St. Regis has 46 locations. Luxury Collection has 118 locations. EDITION has 10ish (too lazy to count and it doesn’t make a difference). I don’t count JW Marriott and W but if you want to they have 103 and 66 locations respectively.

Marriott has ~7600 total locations whereas Hilton has ~6200 total locations… the total portfolio size difference is notable but the difference in their portfolio composition is massive.

Also, if you click on my profile I have a points rebate post that might be interesting for you. By my estimates, Hilton offers the best point rebate but only when you pay with the Aspire. Another point to the Amex Aspire being truly overpowered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.