Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Hey Eujeanie,

We just wanted to clarify, Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.

If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to send us a private message.
Are these automatically done by a system sweep? I know the one specifically written for the Greater China members, and is the one being linked to when CEO talks about the new policy - it says system will do the update and finish it by April 2020.

May be an updated version is needed to be online.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We do not receive any email from Marriott today, and both accounts have FN cert, one account has TP cert.

The link from the CEO's letter found online, points to a policy for the Greater China members. However the wordings in the letter seem to refer to ALL members.

As for the extension to Jan 2021 - we should keep this in perspective, when things are very fluid. Things will definitely go worse, even much worse, before turning around. Companies have to deal with it as the situation warrants. With US being so woefully underprepared despite having almost 3 months lead time (China informed US on Jan 3rd about this infectious disease, and for over 30 times subsequently), with China's really bad situation unfolding in front of the world, our government has not reacted accordingly ... CDC funked its task totally. We are very lack of test kits, and still are. Meantime CDC used very restrictive guideline and refusing private testings up to just a week or so ago.
With the kits finally become more available, we will see spike on the confirmed cases - then the travel industry will react again. Just fasten your seatbelt and be patient.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
As I'm sure many of you did, just got the official e-mail this morning outlining what was said above.

It does help, thank you Marriott.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:22 pm

Just got an e-mail from Hilton saying that they are extending all unexpired Weekend Certificates as of March 11, 2020 and all new ones issued until Aug. 30, 2020 to...

August 31, 2021

Very, very nice.

Marriott: will you up your expiration dates, too?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:07 pm

I keep reading that the free night award is good for 1 year from issue, but in my experience, it's only been 10 months each year. Is there a way to fix this? My anniversary was 5/20. I always get an email notice in early May, but the cert doesn't show up for use until July. I finally canceled my card because they were going to waste, but I have one more left to use. I'd really like to use it at the end of May/beginning of June. In the past, when I've tried to call and reserve during that time frame, they told me I had to use the old cert by 5/20, and I couldn't use the new cert until it showed up.

edit: I didn't receive any emails about extending.

Last edited by jperiod; Mar 14, 2020 at 3:15 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Received my usual "one-time exception" extension of my Chase-issued 25k "free night certificate" from my Classic (old-style) Chase Marriott Visa credit card. The extension was for one year from the date of this morning's call to Bonvoy Loyalty Customer Care. The certificate would otherwise have expired on January 7, 2020.

My experience has been that as long as the credit card is still open at the time of the extension request, extension-of-expiration requests will be granted --- but I did ask for a "courtesy extension of time" so that the agent could invoke the "one-time exception" response.
Just randomly searching for something similar to this. Do you have to call Bonvoy Loyalty Customer Care? OP's call was in Jan. Any change in this since? I try to avoid calling if possible. Can anyone shed some new light on this re extension of expiration date on the eCert.. I am looking for a policy statement or something similar. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Just randomly searching for something similar to this. Do you have to call Bonvoy Loyalty Customer Care? OP's call was in Jan. Any change in this since? I try to avoid calling if possible. Can anyone shed some new light on this re extension of expiration date on the eCert.. I am looking for a policy statement or something similar. Thanks.
The policy is no extension. Some have received it. It's probably on a case by case basis, rep dependent. It seems lately that the answer has been no. However, certificates are automatically being extended due to this Covid thing. The details are in the Marriott e-mail that was sent out recently.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:54 pm

Has expiration dates for certs updated already? Mine still showing original expiration dates.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
Has expiration dates for certs updated already? Mine still showing original expiration dates.
Bumping this.

I'm trying to use one for September and it's not allowing me to - when will they be updated with the new expiration dates?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:01 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Bumping this.

I'm trying to use one for September and it's not allowing me to - when will they be updated with the new expiration dates?
Hello All,

Members should see the revised expiration date for Free Night Certificates reflected in their Accounts by the end of April 2020.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:33 am

Hello All,

Members should see the revised expiration date for Free Night Certificates reflected in their Accounts by the end of April 2020.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
But in a month and a half there might not be a points stay available for the dates we want. If we call in can an agent override the old expiration date?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hello All,

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Thanks Robert. Is there any special action required by members who have credit card certificates that are set to expire before the end of April to keep those certificates active?

For example, I have one that is set to expire on April 9, 2020, and I'm unable to use it by then due to COVID-19 gathering restrictions. I will use it once restrictions are lifted.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Thanks Robert. Is there any special action required by members who have credit card certificates that are set to expire before the end of April to keep those certificates active?

For example, I have one that is set to expire on April 9, 2020, and I'm unable to use it by then due to COVID-19 gathering restrictions. I will use it once restrictions are lifted.
Hi Seattlenerd,

The process should target certificates expiring sooner and work forward from there, but if you don't see your certificate extended within a few days of expiring please feel free to send us a Private Message with your Marriott Bonvoy number and we'll get it taken care of.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But in a month and a half there might not be a points stay available for the dates we want. If we call in can an agent override the old expiration date?
Hello Eujeanie,

If you have a reservation that needs your Free Night Award attached, please send us a Private Message with your full name, Marriott Bonvoy number, and the reservation confirmation number, and we'll be glad to follow up.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:19 pm

Hello Eujeanie,

If you have a reservation that needs your Free Night Award attached, please send us a Private Message with your full name, Marriott Bonvoy number, and the reservation confirmation number, and we'll be glad to follow up.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
I tried this and request was denied by a different lurker, saying they couldn't extend the expiration date and I should wait until end of April to use the expiring cert. I'm guessing it will work out for me, I had the points to make the rez, cert expires after end of April. Maybe this was intended for cases where the cert expires before end of April? Not sure.

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.