Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
If you need to cancel a reservation booked using a free night certificate, follow the process in this post before cancelling to avoid potentially losing your certificate. If the certificate is lost it should be re-enstatable by Marriott customer service, but it may take a while and require some extra work on your part.

Certificate “top-off” is available as of April 30th: and discussed in a separate thread. Marriott has announced that starting “in early 2022,” members will be able to combine free-night certs with up to 15,000 points when making redemptions. See the FT thread discussing the 10/26/21 announcements and Marriott’s FAQ for current info.

EXTENDING AN EXPIRING CERTIFICATE:
  • A blogger reported that as of 12/7/2023 Marriott removed the internal tool to extend an FNA, so it may or may not still be possible.
  • Your best chance for an extension is to call Marriott within 1 month of the expiration and consider having a specific property and date in mind to book. It's not necessary but even without one in mind, pick something you might use and change it later. 1-800-MARRIOT
  • Most importantly, have a good reason for needing the extension, like illness or injury.
  • If granted, the new expiration date is 1 year from the date of the request. You cannot get a 2nd extension on the same certificate, meaning the maximum life of a certificate is 2 years.
  • If not granted, some have luck by calling later a few times.
  • In 2022, Marriott seemed to deny all extension requests except a few exceptions such as here, here, and here. They may be allowing some again in 2023.

Before 18 Aug 2018, Chase issued certificates good for specific categories of hotels. Post 18 Aug 2018, all certificates have been converted or will be issued at a specific level of points. SPG AMEX and Ritz Carlton credit cards have also begun to issue certs.

25K points - lower level certificates
35K points - higher level certificates
50K points - luxury level certificates

Marriott will introduce peak and non peak levels for hotels after 1 Jan 2019. Certificates will be capped at the points level where they can be redeemed rather than for a specific category of hotel. Thus, if a hotel is 25K at the non peak level and the peak level is higher, it cannot be booked in the peak level window.

Nine co-branded credit cards offer an annual free night worth up to 85,000 points:
  • Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (formerly Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury Credit Card from American Express) - up to 85K (Second with $60k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (formerly Rewards Premier Plus) Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Premier (formerly Rewards Premier) - up to 25K
  • Marriott Bonvoy from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Business from American Express (formerly Preferred Guest Business) - up to 35K
  • Marriott Rewards Business Premier Plus Credit Card - up to 35K
  • Ritz Carlton Rewards - up to 85K
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bevy - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
  • Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful - up to 50k (with $15k spend)
Things to know:
  1. Amex credit card free night certificates are issued 2 months after the anniversary date of the credit card. For example if the Brilliant fee posts 7/1, the certificate is available in your Marriott account on 9/1. Chase FNA certificates can appear much sooner, within 1 week.
  2. The certificate expires one year after it is issued. You must complete your stay by the expiration date.
  3. Can NOT be combined with a 3-night award to get a "Stay for 5, Pay for 4" award.
  4. Can be used for a standard room only
  5. Cannot be used for "redemption with cash upgrade" or any points and cash combination
  6. According to Marriott's terms, points reservations can be gifted to another person but certificates earned from a credit card cannot. This means the certificate owner (cardholder) must check-in even if someone else is listed as a guest on the reservation. In some cases a property has given leeway and allowed just the guest to check-in anyway without the certificate owner present, but it is risky to depend on this.
  7. If you use "top-off" with a certificate and the room price later decreases, you can modify the reservation to rebook the same date and recover the difference in top-off points.
  8. If you made a reservation with a FNA and want to know its expiration date, you can find it by editing the reservation as described at this link.
  9. If you downgrade the Amex Brilliant to the $95 Amex Bonvoy card, you can still get your anniversary FNA.
How to use:
  • Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process
  • Some have had trouble booking certificates from the 2020 credit card offer to get 5 free nights. In that case, try this website for booking: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
  • Officially Marriott allows gifting of points awards but not gifting of free night certificates from credit cards. For the latter, your name will still need to be the reservation. Whether the property requires you to be present for check-in may depend on the hotel.
  • If you have 2 certificates of different value and try to redeem one, the Marriott website offers the one expiring first. If that's not what you want, work around this issue by making a dummy booking with that certificate. Then book the real reservation with the desired certificate. Then cancel the dummy. Be sure to pay attention to any cancellation terms since a few properties are more strict than others.
Older archived notes below:

NEW EXTENSION OF CERTIFICATES announced in October 2021:
  • Free night awards, Suite night awards, and travel certificates will be given a new expiration date of June 30, 2022
  • The Marriott Bonvoy app shows the original issue date of your free night certificates. Go to Account -> Free Night Certificates to find the issue date in small print above each certificate. It's unlikely you have a certificate that won't be extended. If you don't see the issue date in the app, you'll have to wait for the actual extension to happen to check the new expiration.
  • Expiration of points is paused through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months
  • In March 2022, Marriott will eliminate hotel categories and use variable point pricing for awards. Only a small number will be affected at first, so you won't see an immediate sweep of all properties at once.
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced May 2021:
  • "Starting May 6, members who had a FNA with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their Cobrand Credit Card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
  • Please note that FNAs with an original expiration date before 2020 will not be eligible for the additional extension. Members do not need to take any action because the system will automatically update their account with these extensions on May 6, 2021."
PREVIOUS EXTENSION announced in 2020:
The expiration date on certificates this year is pushed to 1/31/21.
  • ...Members who currently have an active Free Night Award (FNA) expiring in 2020 as part of their credit card benefit, annual choice benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to use it through January 31, 2021.”
  • Expiration dates will be updated by the end of April, giving priority to those expiring soonest.
  • If yours will expire within just a couple days, contact a Marriott representative here by private message.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate FNA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Called back during regular business hours and a knowledgeable rep offered the normal one-time one-year extension so all was well
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
The wait time to get these free nights on the AMEX card credited are ridiculous now! I am at 11 weeks and they say it can take up to 13 weeks. Why does it take so long now?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have received two separate emails today from AMEX saying they had a glitch (tech error) and the Free Night Award associated with my Amex Bonvoy cards have been deposited to my account. These were unsolicited emails. Not sure what the story is but nothing new is showing in my Marriott account.... anyone else get this email today/recently?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by christianj
The wait time to get these free nights on the AMEX card credited are ridiculous now! I am at 11 weeks and they say it can take up to 13 weeks. Why does it take so long now?
I am at 8 weeks and counting. Anniversary was mid-October so I was disappointed not to see the certificate in early December (based on prior datapoints).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Update! My certificate finally posted last night. Not sure if it was because I raised crap on the phone with them on Tuesday about it taking so long or if it just posted. '

To recap:
Oct. 1 - card renewal anniversary
Dec. 18. - Free night posted....so 11 weeks and 1 day.

This was an AMEX free night. Positive is that they did NOT screw with the expiration date as it is Dec. 18, 2020.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:40 pm

Watch out for your free night certificates

Someone can take them without telling you. I stayed for a night at Moxy NYC last week, and they took my 50K certificate without asking me. My reservation was reserved with 30k point redemption, and for some reason the reservation got cancelled soon after I checked in. I received another reservation the next day looks like correcting the cancellation issue. My guess is the front desk made some mistake, and didn't pay much attention. Couple of days later, I noticed that my 50K certificate that's yet to expire next Aug was gone. After some searching, I finally found the new reservation made without my knowledge claimed my 50k free night.

There's a case opened over a week ago, and I am still waiting for a resolution. I also left a voice mail to Moxy's billing last Sunday regarding the issue, but have never heard back from them. I am just frustrated that I have to deal with other people's mistake, and no one apologized for the mistake.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bjm5
Someone can take them without telling you. I stayed for a night at Moxy NYC last week, and they took my 50K certificate without asking me. My reservation was reserved with 30k point redemption, and for some reason the reservation got cancelled soon after I checked in. I received another reservation the next day looks like correcting the cancellation issue. My guess is the front desk made some mistake, and didn't pay much attention. Couple of days later, I noticed that my 50K certificate that's yet to expire next Aug was gone. After some searching, I finally found the new reservation made without my knowledge claimed my 50k free night.

There's a case opened over a week ago, and I am still waiting for a resolution. I also left a voice mail to Moxy's billing last Sunday regarding the issue, but have never heard back from them. I am just frustrated that I have to deal with other people's mistake, and no one apologized for the mistake.
i just came across a similar issue today....i made a reservation yesterday using 25k points....at some point in the middle of the night the reservation was cancelled on its own & another one was made an hour or so later, this time using the 35k certificate i have in my account....luckily i spotted the error this morning & cancelled the reservation using the cert & made it again using points....i'm going to have to keep a close watch on this now so that the switch doesn't happen again....
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
cert can't be part payment?

The last sentence of the wiki indicates that we can use a cert for partial payment:
"How to use: Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process."

However, this is my recent question and reply to CS:

"I would like to redeem a cc certificate worth 35k points for a Cat. 5 hotel peak-priced at 40k. May I do that by using the certificate and adding 5k points to the rez? If the system allows cash and points, it should allow this."

and the reply:

"Promotional free-night awards have a point value that determines which hotels can accept the award based on their current redemption rate. There may be times that a hotel that is normally within the certificate's range will have a higher point valued due to Peak pricing, meaning that the certificate cannot be used at that time; however, other dates or other nearby locations may be able to accept the award due to listing Standard or Off-Peak rates.
.................................................. ...........................................
"It unfortunately, can't be combined like a Cash & Points reservation as that is already a set rate code."
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by AKC6
The last sentence of the wiki indicates that we can use a cert for partial payment:
"How to use: Search for a points booking at an eligible hotel and the option to use the certificate a replacement for some of the required points should appear during the booking process."

However, this is my recent question and reply to CS:

"I would like to redeem a cc certificate worth 35k points for a Cat. 5 hotel peak-priced at 40k. May I do that by using the certificate and adding 5k points to the rez? If the system allows cash and points, it should allow this."

and the reply:

"Promotional free-night awards have a point value that determines which hotels can accept the award based on their current redemption rate. There may be times that a hotel that is normally within the certificate's range will have a higher point valued due to Peak pricing, meaning that the certificate cannot be used at that time; however, other dates or other nearby locations may be able to accept the award due to listing Standard or Off-Peak rates.

.................................................. ...........................................
"It unfortunately, can't be combined like a Cash & Points reservation as that is already a set rate code."

The line in the wiki means you can use the cert for one night of a longer reservation. You can’t do what you’re describing unfortunately.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Called back during regular business hours and a knowledgeable rep offered the normal one-time one-year extension so all was well
are you calling into Marriott or Amex/Chase to get the extension?

also is there any issue getting an extension if you already have multiple certs? I have three Marriott cards; so I'll was hoping to get an extension on one of them and which'll give me 4 to use for a booking.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i just came across a similar issue today....i made a reservation yesterday using 25k points....at some point in the middle of the night the reservation was cancelled on its own & another one was made an hour or so later, this time using the 35k certificate i have in my account....luckily i spotted the error this morning & cancelled the reservation using the cert & made it again using points....i'm going to have to keep a close watch on this now so that the switch doesn't happen again....
I was on vacation last week, and just checked my case. They still have not resolved it yet. I hope I had spotted it earlier like you did since the phone support told me they can't do anything about a past reservation. That's why I opened a case, and still wait for a resolution after over two weeks.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:25 pm

Marriott is a TOTAL UTTER SHITSHOW when it comes to certificates.

I had 2 one-week reservations, and I just needed Marriott to shift the entire reservation it to just one day earlier. This is what Marriott retards do:
1) Moved my start date by 1 day, but keep the same end date, despite explicitly instructions to move the entire reservation up by one day.
2) Used my ....ing points instead of the certificate, despite explicit instructions to use my damn cert.
3) Second reservation did not have enough points, so they used my one free-night certificate for one of those days. ...?
4) "Lost" the two one-week certificates, and made ........ excuses that they did not exist.
5) When I pointed out how totally farked up and how many mistakes they made, many of these mistakes were stuff I TOLD THEM EXPLICITLY to look out for, they got mad and upset because I told them they were doing a bad job. YES, you are doing a TERRIBLE JOB.

I'm not making this story up. I can't even imagine before this how someone could screw up SO BADLY.

I escalate to the Executive Office and they fixed everything. And I did not receive any extra points for dealing with these idiotic .......s.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dascc
are you calling into Marriott or Amex/Chase to get the extension?

also is there any issue getting an extension if you already have multiple certs? I have three Marriott cards; so I'll was hoping to get an extension on one of them and which'll give me 4 to use for a booking.
It’s always at Marriott. You can have the cert from whatever issuer but the procedure has always been the same.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Is a ~150 euro stay (before taxes) a good use of a 35K certificate? I feel like I would be leaving some money on the table, but it is a stay I know I have coming up soon. Otherwise I would use it on a summer stay in somewhere like DC, where hotels I guess can run $200 a night on a weekend
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bjm5

You may want to contact the Lurker thru FT PM so they could offer more help. I have found the lurkers are rather responsive, and actually monitor certain threads that often have irregularities reported. Though this thread most likely is not one of those.

Originally Posted by Keyser
So your reservation is a future stay, unlike the other poster that his reservation was canceled / rebooked in the middle of the night of his stay?

Such incident may indicate there are some serious programming errors when it comes to apply FN cert which at booking is a default but one could choose to pay with points instead. In the past we have not read about such incidents. This must be yet another "upgrade" of the BonVoy IT that went awry.

Why do we have to constantly watch the accuracy of our accounts?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.