Wiki Posts
Search

Using wife's points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Using wife's points

All - I am PPE but I have a bunch of points in my wife's account. Is there any way for me to book some award rooms using her points so that we can get my benefits like upgrades, etc? I have already transferred 100K from her account so I am looking for some datapoints where Marriott has allowed us to make spouse bookings under these circumstances.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by levistrauss
All - I am PPE but I have a bunch of points in my wife's account. Is there any way for me to book some award rooms using her points so that we can get my benefits like upgrades, etc? I have already transferred 100K from her account so I am looking for some datapoints where Marriott has allowed us to make spouse bookings under these circumstances.
Sounds like what you are asking for is what Hilton used to call a Mutual Account, but is not available anymore. Member accounts are for the members benefit, not anyone they may know related or not. We are allowed to spend points on rooms for anyone we know. We can contact the property to make sure they know our status so on-site benefits are offered appropriately.

In my history, when checking in to a room booked by a member of a lower status, on-site benefits matching my status were always offered once informing the FDC of my status, totally within their prerogative and not program mandated.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There are a few options:
  1. Order the award (using her points) but with your name on the award reservation and cert. You can't do that online, but you can call MR and they will order the award from her account but in your name.
  2. AFAIK, Marriott still allows more than 100K points to be transferred from one account to another when ordering an award. For example, if you have 100K in your account and she has 200K in hers. If you wanted to order a 300K TP award from your account, you can pull the 200K from her account into yours when the award it being ordered.
  3. This may not always work for all the PPE benefits, but at check-in, give them your MR# and show them your PPE status. They might be willing to check for upgrades. If they offer the Plat check-in amenity, I'd suggest going for the F&B credit or whatever is offered during that stay (i.e. NOT the amenity points) as Marriott's system may not recognize you as the primary person and not process those points.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you so much hhoope01. I will call MR and book the award and report back.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Unless Marriott rules have changed, book them in your account with points transferred from her account.

To book the room, you can call up the Marriott support center and transfer Marriott points to cover the award. You can transfer enough points up to the amount of the room (in this case, 80,000 points). You could even transfer the full 80,000 points EVEN IF YOU ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH MARRIOTT REWARDS POINTS IN YOUR ACCOUNT ALREADY!
How to combine and transfer Marriott points (for free!)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:22 am

Rules changed, 100K maximum per year for whatever reason
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
Kind of answering your question. I was with my wife at the start of her business trip recently at a Marriott in the Bay Area booked via her company's travel agents. My wife has no status, but I was able to apply my Marriott PPE status to the length of her stay since I was there at check-in (I left after the first night). All billing went through her company per the original booking.

Surprising upshot. My account received the 6 nights and 40K points for the stay.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by simpleDon
Rules changed, 100K maximum per year for whatever reason
Is this per calendar year or a year since last transfer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.