FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Am I asking for too much being a lifetime platinum premier elite? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1935306-am-i-asking-too-much-being-lifetime-platinum-premier-elite.html)

Kevin Manning Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Am I asking for too much being a lifetime platinum premier elite?

Hi, lifetime Platinum Premier elite with many points to burn. It seems the only time I ask for anything from Marriott is when I go on vacation with my family and I feel like I am usually told NO. I just booked the Renaissance Times Square for 50k each nightt Dec 30-Jan 2. My request was to get a room facing the ball drop and I was told no because those rooms sell for $1000 a night. So, am I asking too much to use points for a room with a view in Times Square during new years eve? Marriott says yes and it seems my loyalty never seems to pay off unless I want to stay in a Courtyard for free in the middle of Kansas. What are your thoughts?

chongl Oct 12, 2018 1:43 pm

You are asking for a high demand room during what is likely a peak period for occupancy. It isn't too surprising that they said no. Re-calibrate your expectations to something realistic and you won't be disappointed as easily.

brp1264 Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

What you are asking is a bit unreasonable.

Those rooms are likely booked a year or so in advance and cost top dollar.

If I were you, I'd be happy just to even get award availability those nights in the hotel to begin with - usually for extraordinary events like that (e.g. Superbowl) they don't have award availability and won't even honor the 48 hr guaranteed availability if you wanted to book a room w/ cash.

UKTraveller4Fun Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm

You are I am afraid asking for far to much and in the scale of requests it's very unreasonable. The room you are requesting will be one of the most sort after rooms in the world on the 31st of December yet you wish to have it on a points booking that isn't backed by any terms that Marriott or SPG have ever had.

I have to say I am surprised that you consider this something that might be remotely possible.

swag Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't know the hotel, but when you book, the rooms list notes that "Only Times Square Terrace rooms have ball drop views. "

I don't see those as an option for your dates, but even on other dates, that's a significant upgrade, $800/nt vs $400/nt for a standard room.

bhrubin Oct 12, 2018 3:24 pm

You are being unreasonable and have unrealistic expectations.

supatight80 Oct 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Unfortunately yes it is unreasonable. Sweetie no offence but LTPP is a dime a dozen nowadays. And that status without a current whatever status is called a has been status

AAir_head Oct 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Pretty much what everyone up to this point has said.

:rolleyes:

SHLTP Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

I'd be thankful just to get a room for that rate in NYC NYE. Unressonable yes.

frank808 Oct 12, 2018 6:36 pm

I would say just getting a room on reward points or those nights is amazing! You can try to use your SNA for a nicer room.

mahasamatman Oct 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by frank808 (Post 30309430)
You can try to use your SNA for a nicer room.

I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time!

yyznomad Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Ditto with the others above... I think the request is unreasonable. But good luck nevertheless!

I'm a LTPPE (starting Jan 1, 2019)

SkiAdcock Oct 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Like others I think the expectation is unreasonable, but glad you were able to get an award over NYE. All the chain hotels in TS go for big bucks on NYE.

Cheers.

yyznomad Oct 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Oh, and OP, as this was your first post, Welcome to FT!

CO-PLAT Oct 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin Manning (Post 30308607)
What are your thoughts?

Yes.