Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe they should have used plutonium or californium.

Yes. Something that glows and with a half life. I am always trying to lose weight.
bacrs and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe they should have used plutonium or californium.
And for Ambassador they should have used Unobtanium
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Talking

Originally Posted by twa777
And for Ambassador they should have used Unobtanium
Beat me to it...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Angry Did I screw myself

by not focusing on this in 2018?

Entering 2018 I had 8 years as SPG Platinum. Their policy was 10 years as SPG Platinum and you achieved Lifetime Platinum. I did not make Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite in 2018 (50 nights). When I look at my Lifetime Status on the Marriott app, it shows that my next tier is Lifetime Silver Elite status. It shows 523 total nights and 0 years as Silver Elite or higher. What happened to the eight years of devout loyalty where I was a Starwood Platinum Elite (and Starwood evangelist). Poof? They count for nothing? Not even toward the Marriott Silver lifetime status? Does anyone have an email at Marriott so I can get some answers?

Finkie
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by finkie

Entering 2018 I had 8 years as SPG Platinum. Their policy was 10 years as SPG Platinum and you achieved Lifetime Platinum. I did not make Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite in 2018 (50 nights). When I look at my Lifetime Status on the Marriott app, it shows that my next tier is Lifetime Silver Elite status. It shows 523 total nights and 0 years as Silver Elite or higher. What happened to the eight years of devout loyalty where I was a Starwood Platinum Elite (and Starwood evangelist). Poof? They count for nothing? Not even toward the Marriott Silver lifetime status? Does anyone have an email at Marriott so I can get some answers?

Finkie
This is likely an error that can be rectified by Marriott as soon as it's brought to their attention.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by finkie

Finkie
Did you merge your accounts? If you merged your accounts, then you years of elite at each level and total nights should be accurate.

Yes you should have paid attention (kick yourself in the butt). 8 years SPG Plat, did you have enough nights to even make SPG LT Gold? That would have mapped to MR LT Silver at least.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:27 pm

Thanks. I hope you are right!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I looked up the price of metals. Platinum is worth more. I feel like I am being marked down!
Who says it's based on the price of metals? The next level above Titanium is Ambassador, and that's not a metal at all (cheap or pricey).

It's based on people's associations of the terms, and nothing more, since the names are chosen by marketing people.

And people think that Titanium is fantastic because of its durability/whatever. The average person does't know the relative value of metals anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Who says it's based on the price of metals? The next level above Titanium is Ambassador, and that's not a metal at all (cheap or pricey).

It's based on people's associations of the terms, and nothing more, since the names are chosen by marketing people.

And people think that Titanium is fantastic because of its durability/whatever. The average person does't know the relative value of metals anyway.
Ambassador is not a tier but a category of Platinum Premier. I find it funny how we get so hooked on trinkets (metals, colors, stones, etc.). I keep thinking it's a slight of hand trying to distract us with the names and not delivering the benefits.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Ambassador is not a tier but a category of Platinum Premier. I find it funny how we get so hooked on trinkets (metals, colors, stones, etc.). I keep thinking it's a slight of hand trying to distract us with the names and not delivering the benefits.
It's an in joke for the FDA. If the abbreviation for Platinum is Plat then the abbreviation for Titanium...............?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Ambassador is not a tier but a category of Platinum Premier.
Now, yes, but after Feb it's simply called Ambassador, nothing about Platinum Premier or even Titanium. So it "feels" as if they're treating it as a separate tier after all the upcoming renaming.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Lifetime Status Statistics

Hello, and thanks for reading. I just officially joined here, but have lurked off and on for years. Great site and I'd love to contribute more.

My question is regarding my Marriott/SPG lifetime status statistics. When exactly is my year count in respective tiers supposed to change? Is it MY anniversary date? Does it change at calendar year end? Does it change instantly when you reach a certain tier in a respective year? For example - I currently show 5 yrs. silver, 4 yrs. gold, and 4 yrs. platinum. These numbers have remained the same since the big changes several months back (August?). I had not reached platinum status for 2018 by when those changes occurred, but was later in the fall. Therefore I was sort of expecting to be at 6/5/5 after January 1, 2019, but was obviously not the case. Would be nice to know exactly when the year counts hit.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by djdubb
Hello, and thanks for reading. I just officially joined here, but have lurked off and on for years. Great site and I'd love to contribute more.

My question is regarding my Marriott/SPG lifetime status statistics. When exactly is my year count in respective tiers supposed to change? Is it MY anniversary date? Does it change at calendar year end? Does it change instantly when you reach a certain tier in a respective year? For example - I currently show 5 yrs. silver, 4 yrs. gold, and 4 yrs. platinum. These numbers have remained the same since the big changes several months back (August?). I had not reached platinum status for 2018 by when those changes occurred, but was later in the fall. Therefore I was sort of expecting to be at 6/5/5 after January 1, 2019, but was obviously not the case. Would be nice to know exactly when the year counts hit.
Most if not all who crossed a threshold after the August cutover have not seen their LT year counters change yet. We're expecting a sweep, possibly later this month, to update all those totals. It's Marriott IT, so no guarantees, but know that you are not alone.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Thanks, I have read that others have similar issues. Hopefully they get it right soon.

So disregarding the IT issue, is that how it's supposed to work - year count changes instantly upon reaching a tier? For example, I will likely hit silver for 2019 within a few weeks here. If all worked how it was supposed to, should I instantly show 6/4/4 respectively (year count at silver change instantly) ? Or would I have to wait until a calendar date for the update to my year count (again, theoretically based on what's supposed to occur) ?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:04 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
One data point - My year count for lifetime just changed last week, even though I hit platinum back in September.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.