Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Yes, it's true.

Why they chose to do it this way is anyone's guess.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
This is not new.
bosman likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Announced a while back. Booking meetings rooms and credit has changed a few months ago as well, so unless you can do it with nights before now and the end of the year, it's not likely to happen
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see this revisited sometime down the line after all the dust settles. As things stand, the highest LT status going forward is attainable at a mere 600 nights, which some folks reach pretty early into their traveling careers. Of course there's the 10 yrs @ Plat requirement, but if later analysis shows a measurable percentage of members hitting 600n/10y and then moving their business elsewhere (perhaps in pursuit of additional LT status elsewhere), it will not come as a huge shock to see a new LT tier (e.g. Titanium) emerge.

But for now, yes, many around here have been working feverishly to close the gap prior to Dec 31.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor
My friend told me that is what he read somewhere. Is that true? I mean, why are they cutting that off and just allowing Lifetime Platinums instead? Makes no sense to me.
Actually they have no sense
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
My mattress run stay over the weekend to get a few nights to nudge me up to 50 nights for Platinum status has posted. I have been Platinum in the past. In fact, making Platinum for 2018 gives me 10 lifetime years as Platinum! I also have over 600 lifetime nights. So, yay! I should be lifetime Platinum now. (was Lifetime Gold)

While looking over Platinum benefits to help me better understand them since things have changed a lot with the Starwood merger, I saw one benefit "Annual Gift Choice for those Member with 50 qualified nights. What counts as a qualified night? ALL nights? Or just certain ones? I managed to follow a link in an attempt to redeem the award, but it tells me I don't qualify. I have like 26 paid nights, 1 redeemed, then 23 from Chase credit card spend. Do those 23 nights not count as qualified? Or is this just an IT "glitch" where it takes time for different systems to sync up to recognize new status?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
As a business decision, it is pretty clear why Marriott is getting rid of LTPP after this year. Looking at their competitors with a large footprint - Hilton and IHG, lifetime status at Marriott is much more generous. So they don't have to have LTPP to be competitive in this market.

While it isn't popular on FT, from a business perspective, this is a reasonable move on Marriott's part. It changes the program to focus on people that are contributing the most money to the company right now. Also, looking at other programs in the travel industry as a whole, many of them require their members to earn top tier status every year. For example, LTP on AA is a mid level tier now. Platinum Pro or Executive Plat need to be earned each year. That keeps those levels more prestigious, and saves AA money.

Based on where I see the travel industry headed right now, I think the decision to discontinue LTPP may be permanent. Unless there is a significant market disruption where Marriott's competitors change their lifetime offerings (right now I think Hilton and Hyatt are the main competitors that offer lifetime status), or there is a major turn in the economy where occupancy rates drop significantly over several years, I don't see Marriott changing their minds on this one.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:56 pm

Arrow

Originally Posted by rny321
Since only MR points count towards legacy MR Lifetime status, it would have been clearer if MPG stated that only nights and years of platinum status can be combined to achieve LTPP. If you have 750 nights, you will need either 10 years of combined Platinum status or 2MM Marriott points by the end of this year for LTPP.
Not true. Not only "nights of platinum". All nights count. Your lifetime nights counter is what counts. And this counter contains more than just the nights you had while you were or have been Plat.

As for the years, yes you will need to have 10 years of Plat., combined from both worlds, spg and MR.

HTH.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

Originally Posted by decentmove
Not true. Not only "nights of platinum". All nights count. Your lifetime nights counter is what counts. And this counter contains more than just the nights you had while you were or have been Plat.

As for the years, yes you will need to have 10 years of Plat., combined from both worlds, spg and MR.

HTH.
Reading comprehension is a useful skill. Similarly, learning to quote what someone said makes you seem more lucid. I never said “nights of platinum.” If you follow closely, you may understand that “nights and years of platinum” is quite different from what you thought.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
As a business decision, it is pretty clear why Marriott is getting rid of LTPP after this year. Looking at their competitors with a large footprint - Hilton and IHG, lifetime status at Marriott is much more generous. So they don't have to have LTPP to be competitive in this market.
Please explain how Marriott Lifetime Platinum (non-Premier) is much more generous than Hilton lifetime Diamond. Marriott officially has two status levels above Platinum (Platinum Premier and Ambassador), while Diamond is officially Hilton's highest status level. And HH Diamond i*or even Gold for that matter) s much more consistent about breakfast privileges than Marriott's hodge-podge of benefits almost different for each of the 29 different brands.

At IHG on the other hand, status is near useless (on paper, no breakfast or lounge access at any brand for any earned program-wide status) So there's nothing at IHG for hotel programs who want to provide "true" status benefits to compare against, even for annual (as opposed to lifetime) status.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:49 pm

Dear rny321,

Thank your for your reply. Is this quote wrong? If yes, what have I gotten wrong? Thank you.
... All nights count. Your lifetime nights counter is what counts. And this counter contains more than just the nights you had while you were or have been Plat.

Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Dear rny321,

Thank your for your reply. Is this quote wrong? If yes, what have I gotten wrong? Thank you.
The quote is what was inside the quotation marks. You stated in quotes that I said “nights of platinum.” I said “nights and years of platinum” can be combined. The conjunction “and” is used to separate two things that each can be combined. To make it easy for you, nights can be combined AND years of platinum can be combined. That is very different from what you misquoted.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please explain how Marriott Lifetime Platinum (non-Premier) is much more generous than Hilton lifetime Diamond. Marriott officially has two status levels above Platinum (Platinum Premier and Ambassador), while Diamond is officially Hilton's highest status level. And HH Diamond i*or even Gold for that matter) s much more consistent about breakfast privileges than Marriott's hodge-podge of benefits almost different for each of the 29 different brands.

At IHG on the other hand, status is near useless (on paper, no breakfast or lounge access at any brand for any earned program-wide status) So there's nothing at IHG for hotel programs who want to provide "true" status benefits to compare against, even for annual (as opposed to lifetime) status.
Well, for one thing LTPP (for now) is easier to obtain than Hilton Lifetime Diamond. The 10 years of Diamond plus either 1000 nights or 2 million base points is a much higher threshold than 750 nights and either 10 years of platinum or 2 million MR points. It is a lot easier to get nights in Marriott with credit cards, rewarding events, etc. Also, with Marriott, bonuses and credit card points count towards the 2 million point total, but with Hilton they don't. In the past, when Marriott had rollover nights, some nights would basically count twice for lifetime status. I actually don't know how Hilton will count rollover nights in regards to lifetime Diamond.

Finally, Diamond is the only lifetime status that Hilton has. With Marriott, Silver lifetime at least keeps Marriott points from ever expiring. But obtaining some type of lifetime status is much easier at Marriott than Hilton or Hyatt. That is the point I was trying to make.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm assuming this is the same "Hilton Diamond" that doesn't have a 4pm late check-out (embarrassing at the highest level), no confirmable/advance suite upgrades, nothing like an Ambassador possible, along with a very weak hotel portfolio and an inflationary currency.

And - it's free each year w/ a credit card. I'm not Marriott defender but yes, that's an inferior level quite clearly.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
My mattress run stay over the weekend to get a few nights to nudge me up to 50 nights for Platinum status has posted. I have been Platinum in the past. In fact, making Platinum for 2018 gives me 10 lifetime years as Platinum! I also have over 600 lifetime nights. So, yay! I should be lifetime Platinum now. (was Lifetime Gold)

While looking over Platinum benefits to help me better understand them since things have changed a lot with the Starwood merger, I saw one benefit "Annual Gift Choice for those Member with 50 qualified nights. What counts as a qualified night? ALL nights? Or just certain ones? I managed to follow a link in an attempt to redeem the award, but it tells me I don't qualify. I have like 26 paid nights, 1 redeemed, then 23 from Chase credit card spend. Do those 23 nights not count as qualified? Or is this just an IT "glitch" where it takes time for different systems to sync up to recognize new status?
All those nights should count. Just IT, wait a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.