Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I traveled a lot until 2013 ish. LTPP has basically said, keep using MR. So I look at LTPP as a bridge from my past heavy business travel to my future heavy business travel.
I am in a similar boat, having abruptly stopped business travel two years ago but about to have it start again. I also appreciated the flexibility LT membership allows and that I got benefits when traveling for leisure. When I stopped flying a few times a week I was at 950k DL Skymiles; a few short of their LT Silver benefits and have gone back to being nobody with them, so I am acutely aware of the benefit of having LT status with Marriott.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
This point gives me great pause - can you clarify further on "linked/matched years?" For context on my concern, I am showing as 8 years with Platinum status. Some of those years are courtesy of the RewardsPlus partnership with United. Is it possible those years will disappear? FWIW (having reached LT Globalist with Hyatt) I've increased my stays with Marriott (I'll hit 83 nights in 2018).

Thank you!
A couple years ago, Marriott and SPG allowed their members to "link" their Marriott and SPG accounts, and if they did so, and only earned high status at one of those (Marriott Plat in my case), that was automatically "matched" in the "linked"SPG account.

I don't know if those kinds of "linked from SPG" status years have ever shown up in anyone's Marriott years count. But those kinds of "linked from Marriott" status year have shown up in many people's SPG years counts.

I can't comment on the years where someone got status from UA Gold. That's different, even though it is in the same "matching" category.

I'd say if those were years that weren't showing in your Marriott years total as of September, but are now showing there due to the "correction" in the last month or so (where for example they apparently finally decided to count challenge years, which only a couple weeks earlier a Lurker had told me didn't count)., I'd say they sound safer to me.

I'm more concerned on the SPG side, where there have been no "corrections" to date, and no explanation of why linked-from-Marriott status years are still in there. That is what I'm concerned about them possibly "correcting" in January (in combined accounts). To that end, since I'd be at 9 years combined (as of today) without those linked-Marriott-years-at-SPG, but I'm over 10 combined already with them, I'm taking care to earn 25+ stays on the SPG side this year (before I combine my Marriott and SPG accounts), so that it'll get to 10 even if they do subtract those linked-from-Marriott-to-SPG years.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
MAR have made the public stance very clear: LT numbers are correct, system is stable etc. In my ears that means that the vast majority of combined accounts are signed off, i.e. treated as correct, under normal circumstances after almost 4M you would expect this to be the case.
My concern on this is two-fold:

1. They made that claim about the LT numbers being correct well over a month ago. But then in the last month, a bunch of people found that their Marriott side year totals had been changed (for the better, from all reports). So they were correct, and yet they needed to be corrected? No, Marriott actually changed their minds about their (never published) criteria of what kinds of years counted and what kind of years didn't count. (in my case, Marriott told me that challenge years didn't count, and then a couple weeks later they added a challenge year to my Marriott total.) So I take with a jar of salt any claim from Marriott that "all is correct". (They've said the same "it's correct" garbage about their websites so many times too in the past few months.)

2. The recent "corrections" only happened on the Marriott side. There's a deafening silence on the SPG side, and that's where I fear a ball may yet drop. "Proprietary" is not the same thing as "final"! "Proprietary" simply means they're not explaining it, but it doesn't mean they won't change it. It seems a suspiciously-chosen word to not imply finality to the SPG status years numbers.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by sdsearch

1. They made that claim about the LT numbers being correct well over a month ago. But then in the last month, a bunch of people found that their Marriott side year totals had been changed (for the better, from all reports). So they were correct, and yet they needed to be corrected? No, Marriott actually changed their minds about their (never published) criteria of what kinds of years counted and what kind of years didn't count. (in my case, Marriott told me that challenge years didn't count, and then a couple weeks later they added a challenge year to my Marriott total.) So I take with a jar of salt any claim from Marriott that "all is correct". (They've said the same "it's correct" garbage about their websites so many times too in the past few months.)

2. The recent "corrections" only happened on the Marriott side. There's a deafening silence on the SPG side, and that's where I fear a ball may yet drop. "Proprietary" is not the same thing as "final"! "Proprietary" simply means they're not explaining it, but it doesn't mean they won't change it. It seems a suspiciously-chosen word to not imply finality to the SPG status years numbers.
I agree with your skeptical stance regarding MAR claim that numbers and status are correct, a clarification on my part, my conjecture when it comes to signed off accounts I refer to combined accounts hence a believe that a necessary but not sufficient condition to be signed off as correct is that it is combined.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Interesting. I had two matched years showing up in SPG as LTP years but they disappeared after I merged the accounts. Now I have 9 years and 720 nights. I have already had 59 nights this year but the extra one LTP year hasn't been added to my total LT years - many say it will happen in January. The IT has totally screwed up the LT year issue.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:05 pm

SPG had a published definition for qualifying years which made it clear challenge years did not count. Marriott had no definition and when they used to require a minimum number of years for status they included challenge years. For Marriott to suddenly change its rule or apply SPG rules to years there wasn't even a hint of merger would seem unfair, so it is understandable they would follow the rules as they were and not count challenge years on the SPG side while counting them on the MR side. Might I have done it differently? Probably. But the way they are doing it has some basis and fairness.
rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I am in a similar boat, having abruptly stopped business travel two years ago but about to have it start again. I also appreciated the flexibility LT membership allows and that I got benefits when traveling for leisure. When I stopped flying a few times a week I was at 950k DL Skymiles; a few short of their LT Silver benefits and have gone back to being nobody with them, so I am acutely aware of the benefit of having LT status with Marriott.
I hear you on the airlines
I was EXP on AA and did manage to get LT Plat when they were counting all miles earned toward the 2MM threshold. However USAirdbaAA diluted Plat by introducing a new tier [Plat Pro] in between Plat and EXP. I still feel lucky that I can avoid bag fees and paying for seats. Otherwise its pretty much being a kettle on AA again.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
SPG had a published definition for qualifying years which made it clear challenge years did not count. Marriott had no definition and when they used to require a minimum number of years for status they included challenge years. For Marriott to suddenly change its rule or apply SPG rules to years there wasn't even a hint of merger would seem unfair, so it is understandable they would follow the rules as they were and not count challenge years on the SPG side while counting them on the MR side. Might I have done it differently? Probably. But the way they are doing it has some basis and fairness.
They should go with the less strict rule. When United merged with Continental, they adjusted upwards everybodys LT miles on the United side. This is common sense and a good will to customers. Apparently Sorenson doesnt see it that way.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Is the only way to have Lifetime Platinum Premier Status to have 750 nights and 2 million points by the end of this year? I am currently Lifetime Platinum with around 2.1 million points, 11 years Platinum but only at 690 Lifetime nights. Could reach 700 nights by the end of the year, but not 750.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by naumank

They should go with the less strict rule. When United merged with Continental, they adjusted upwards everybodys LT miles on the United side. This is common sense and a good will to customers. Apparently Sorenson doesnt see it that way.
I agree that would have been the better way to go, but am just saying the way they went wasn't out of the blue. Similarly, the excuse for not counting SPG points for LT status has always seemed unnecessarily punitive. Just because all the points cannot be retrieved - and my understanding is those are over fifteen years old - it never made sense they would not count those points which could be retrieved. To tell someone who could show let's say 1m MR points and 1.5m converted SPG points he does not qualify because there may be additional uncounted points seems the better approach.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by naumank

They should go with the less strict rule. When United merged with Continental, they adjusted upwards everybody’s LT miles on the United side. This is common sense and a good will to customers. Apparently Sorenson doesn’t see it that way.
My own conspiracy infused view is that instead of coming up with a bunch of rules on how to treat various accumulated years in SPG and MR, the different philosophies with respect to comping status in the two programs, missing SPG points etc. MAR just branded the number of years that going to count in the new program as proprietary so that they could make any arbitrary additions from the recorded SPG years (and the obvious MR years) . That make it very hard to challenge the year count unless you can prove 50+ nights for MR/ SPG. Instead MAR could add years along whatever internal rules they outlined ... maybe being more lenient or stringent towards accounts in geographical locations where they want to grow more or being more lenient towards a famous blogger etc ... we will never know ...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by X-ON
My own conspiracy infused view is that instead of coming up with a bunch of rules on how to treat various accumulated years in SPG and MR, the different philosophies with respect to comping status in the two programs, missing SPG points etc. MAR just branded the number of years that going to count in the new program as proprietary so that they could make any arbitrary additions from the recorded SPG years (and the obvious MR years) . That make it very hard to challenge the year count unless you can prove 50+ nights for MR/ SPG. Instead MAR could add years along whatever internal rules they outlined ... maybe being more lenient or stringent towards accounts in geographical locations where they want to grow more or being more lenient towards a famous blogger etc ... we will never know ...
Interesting thought. Like many here I was initially surprised when they refused to enumerate which types of legacy status years would count towards LT status for 2018 forward. But over the last few months I've been even more surprised that we at FlyerTalk haven't collectively figured it out. The problem of course is that we have lots of data points, but they are conflicting, so not conclusive.

The idea that MPG may be treating members differently based on geography, customer "value", or other criteria hadn't occurred to me, and I suppose it could explain things. But on the other hand, there's an old rule that says something like "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

Marriott's incompetence around the merger and the IT to support it is well documented. It easily explains inconsistencies in displayed status years. And given that incompetence, the idea that they decided to include additional secret criteria, and that they *implemented those criteria correctly* seems far-fetched.

And my own data point. My year count is on the generous side of what my best guess would have been, and yet by any predictive criteria, my customer value is low relative to my night count (most of my nights are low dollar, credit card, or rollover; I had ~700+ MR nights but only ~700K LT MR points; my status on Aug 17 was only silver).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by swag
The idea that MPG may be treating members differently based on geography, customer "value", or other criteria hadn't occurred to me, and I suppose it could explain things. But on the other hand, there's an old rule that says something like "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
Marriott's incompetence around the merger and the IT to support it is well documented. It easily explains inconsistencies in displayed status years. And given that incompetence, the idea that they decided to include additional secret criteria, and that they *implemented those criteria correctly* seems far-fetched.
That is also quite possible, that the MAR integration team realized that their IT department was not going to be able to deliver all the specs so they decided to let the year count rules be proprietary and for the cases where the year count was below what the account holder expected they solve it by individual tickets. There have also been anecdotally reported that the year count in combined accounts can no longer to be verified by the historical SPG/ MR activity data suggesting that data have been purged either by accident or by malice.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I agree that would have been the better way to go, but am just saying the way they went wasn't out of the blue. Similarly, the excuse for not counting SPG points for LT status has always seemed unnecessarily punitive. Just because all the points cannot be retrieved - and my understanding is those are over fifteen years old - it never made sense they would not count those points which could be retrieved. To tell someone who could show let's say 1m MR points and 1.5m converted SPG points he does not qualify because there may be additional uncounted points seems the better approach.
I have over 2MM MR points and over 2MM SPG points, but I will only have about 700 MR nights. If SPG nights are added, I am well over the 750 night threshold. In spite of what William has stated, there are still quite a few people posting her that don't believe that I will become LTPP. If combined nights and MR only points don't count, converted SPG points have no chance of being used for qualification.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 5, 2018 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rny321
I have over 2MM MR points and over 2MM SPG points, but I will only have about 700 MR nights. If SPG nights are added, I am well over the 750 night threshold. In spite of what William has stated, there are still quite a few people posting her that don't believe that I will become LTPP. If combined nights and MR only points don't count, converted SPG points have no chance of being used for qualification.
At this point I don't know whether to believe you will or you will not. William is a great resource but who knows if what he is being told will ultimately be the final or right answer? All I believe at this point is that Marriott has created so much confusion there is no way to know what is accurate.

With that said, I do believe even if it turns out to be incorrect Marriott will stand by and honor what William confirmed, so hold on to a printed copy of his correspondence/answer/post/smoke signal. Good luck.
rny321 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.