Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by swag
Correct, though I forget if that rule is in effect now or not until 2019. But in any case, my response to the OP was for this case:
- No credit card nights posted yet for 2018.
- Late-in-year anniversary date for old credit card, so nights not yet posted.
- Need the 15 2018 nights to earn status level.
- Considering upgrading to the new credit card.

In this case, you should wait to upgrade until after the old card anniversary, once the nights (and free night cert) have posted.
Ah, that makes perfect sense.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:44 am

Lifetime status question, was c/s rep wrong?

I currently have 230 nights and 14 elite years lifetime with SPG
I have 13 nights and no elite years with Marriott

My understanding from the many other threads I've read is that if I squeeze in 20 more nights this year I'll be SPG Gold Lifetime which will then map to Gold Elite lifetime with the combined program, but if I reach 250 next year (or thereafter) it would be for Silver Elite. A customer service rep told me that I would be Silver Elite in either scenario.

If it's the former and I need to cram in some nights this year, do multiple rooms the same night at the same property count? That is, if I need 5 more nights and find a cheap Courtyard Marriott somewhere can I go check in to 5 rooms for one night?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i can't answer your first question, but know someone will be along in a moment with the info.

in terms of getting more nights, multiple rooms at the same property no longer count, but if you hold a meeting at a marriott property you can get 10 nights for your first meeting...see the thread about rewarding events for more info.

good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
In theory if you get another 20 nights this year with legacy SPG hotels you should be able to qualify as Marriott Lifetime Gold. Personally, I'm sceptical Marriott will ever make true on this part of their offer, but it's very clear that's what they have said.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:35 am

Thanks for the info. Based on the Marriott website, it doesn't look like there's much of a difference between Lifetime Silver Elite and Lifetime Gold Elite :-)

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...fits/silver.mi
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...nefits/gold.mi

IT fails aside, considering I'll likely never reach the new Gold threshhold in the combined program but will get lifetime Silver easily, how much is the Lifetime Gold worth? I'm just not at all familiar with the Marriott program and not sure how big a difference it will make.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jbsjbs
IT fails aside, considering I'll likely never reach the new Gold threshhold in the combined program but will get lifetime Silver easily, how much is the Lifetime Gold worth? I'm just not at all familiar with the Marriott program and not sure how big a difference it will make.
Marriott Gold is essentially a new level at 25 nights/yr as the old Marriott 50 night Gold is now called Platinum. I certainly wouldn’t spend money out of my pocket and go out of my way to get lifetime gold as there is no lounge access/free breakfast, arrival gift or guaranteed late checkout.

You can also get Gold with the Amex SPG Luxury Card - which has a price tag of $450, but comes with an annual free night, and $300 of Marriott stay credit, which IMO offset the yearly fee if you are staying Marriott hotels a few times a year.

You can also get Gold in both Marriott and Hilton (which does have free breakfast at that level) with the Amex Platinum card.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goldenbear
You can also get Gold in both Marriott and Hilton (which does have free breakfast at that level) with the Amex Platinum card.
There's also Hilton Diamond for carrying the Amex Aspire card. It's another card that nets out as paying you to carry it *if* you can find your way to at least 1 Hilton resort per year.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbsjbs
Thanks for the info. Based on the Marriott website, it doesn't look like there's much of a difference between Lifetime Silver Elite and Lifetime Gold Elite :-)

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...fits/silver.mi
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...nefits/gold.mi

This website:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ins-an...elite-program/

explains it a lot better than the current Marriott website. What you get with Gold that you don't get with Silver:
  • a slightly clearer (2 pm) late checkout benefit (subject to availability)
  • a bit more points per dollar on stays (25% vs 10%)
  • a welcome gift (points)
  • complimentary enhanced internet
  • a stab at upgrades to enhanced rooms (not suites) (subject to availability)
Originally Posted by goldenbear
Marriott Gold is essentially a new level at 25 nights/yr as the old Marriott 50 night Gold is now called Platinum. I certainly wouldn’t spend money out of my pocket and go out of my way to get lifetime gold as there is no lounge access/free breakfast, arrival gift or guaranteed late checkout.
As you can see, you do get an arrival gift (but only points), and you get a better chance at a mild late checkout than with Silver (but not a "guarantee" nor 4 pm). So compared to Platinum, it's certainly not nearly as good, but compared to Silver, some might consider it enough of an improvement to pursue, while others might not.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 19, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I believe you can also get Gold status with the Amex SPG card w/$35K annual spend.

In the pre August merge program (it then had a $30K spend requirement), I did this for the last few years as: 1) I no longer travel for work as a way to get Lounge access at Starwood and 2) The SPG Amex at 1 pt -> 3 MR points was a good value (since the merger with Marriott and linkage of accounts). Without lounge access, the value of Gold is (imho) much lessened. [Luckily, I am LT PE with the merged program and should be LT PPE after the year end sweep so I regained Lounge access.]
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:52 pm

Has anyone seen their year counters increase yet after re-qualifying? Or do we know when this happens (end of year, .etc)?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by nall
Has anyone seen their year counters increase yet after re-qualifying? Or do we know when this happens (end of year, .etc)?
I have combined my MR and SPG accounts and had 50+ nights this year. Requalified after combining accounts, while my LT night counter keep ticking up my years as platinum and above is stuck at 9. What has been communicated by the ex spg lurkers is that the years counter will be updated in Jan next year. Whether this is going to happen or not given the IT track record we will see.
​​​​​
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
What should I expect? [Platinum elite benefits]

I’m a fairly new to the Marriot/SPG rewards. I have just become Platinum Elite, and want to know as I can not make sense of various wordings of benefits I will get.

I have a booking at the W Hotel in London this week, should I expect an upgrade and if so, so I get a suite? How do the upgrades work, can I book any room and if available I will be upgraded to a suite? Or do I have to book the room under a suite to get the suite upgrade (if available).

If im not upgraded at check in, do you as platinum ask for an upgrade in case they’ve not checked? How can I check if an upgrade is likely?

Also, free breakfast? I don’t see a place in the app to change my welcome benefit to Breakfast? Is this normal?

If someone can explain the upgrade in simple turns that would be great?

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
I got into the Concierge Lounge by claiming I forgot my Platinum member card. FDA added access and gave complimentary breakfast vouchers. Didn't even check to see if I was indeed Platinum or not.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Question about lifetime gold.

Prior to combing with Marriott I had 243 nights on spg and 5 year gold so I was only 7 nights away from spg lifetime gold.

After combining I got 8 more nights at Marriott and 2 at Sheraton and became lifetime silver in the new program.

Next week i will will get another 6 nights in w hotel. This would make my combined spg nights 261and spg nights 251.

Does it mean I will get spg lifetime gold under legacy and come Jan 2019 I will get lifetime gold in the new program? Asking because the changed lifetime gold in the new program to be 400 nights and 7 years so without legacy I would not qualify.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Khondker Rumman Akhter
Prior to combing with Marriott I had 243 nights on spg and 5 year gold so I was only 7 nights away from spg lifetime gold.

After combining I got 8 more nights at Marriott and 2 at Sheraton and became lifetime silver in the new program.

Next week i will will get another 6 nights in w hotel. This would make my combined spg nights 261and spg nights 251.

Does it mean I will get spg lifetime gold under legacy and come Jan 2019 I will get lifetime gold in the new program? Asking because the changed lifetime gold in the new program to be 400 nights and 7 years so without legacy I would not qualify.
Yes, qualification under legacy rules should kick in after the sweep in January. Keep your numbers handy just in case it doesn't happen and MPG needs help figuring it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.