Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Reply

Old Mar 18, 19, 5:15 pm
  #676  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time US Silver, AA Gold
Posts: 1,152
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
So...If my lifetime counter says 8 years Platinum, and I am Platinum now (March, 2018), at some point early next year it will roll over to 9 years? I'm working towards lifetime so these last two qualifying years are important to me. Thanks.

I wish I'd taken a screen shot of my account in December. Argh.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
You mean, March 2019?

I assume you mean your counter says 8 years lifetime Plat right now, currently, March 2019. And you are saying, you hit Plat this month as well, and it didn't move up to 9 years. Here's the answers:

No. If you are Plat/Titanium, your 'lifetime' counter (assuming you hit Plat/Titanium in March 2019) will not update until late 2019/early 2020. So screenshot! And wait.

However, if you hit Ambassador this year (2019), your lifetime counter will increment up when you hit Ambassador.
Yeah, duh, March 2019. This decade is confrusing me...

So I did a screenshot, but it was in January of this year (2019). Said:
Nights: 519
Years as Gold or Platinum: 9
Years as Platinum: 8

Nothing changed (well, nights have increased) in years since then. So you are saying around this time next year I go to 9 years Plat. And then in 2021 I should hit ten, which is perfect, because then I retire and stop spending 50 nights on the road.

Thanks.
dwcatty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:01 pm
  #677  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Anyone think they'll ever open up Lifetime Titanium again for people to qualify into?
friscotrvlr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:22 pm
  #678  
t1c
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DTW
Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by friscotrvlr View Post
Anyone think they'll ever open up Lifetime Titanium again for people to qualify into?
No and never...
t1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:37 pm
  #679  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by friscotrvlr View Post
Anyone think they'll ever open up Lifetime Titanium again for people to qualify into?
Originally Posted by t1c View Post
No and never...
I agree with t1c. Loyalty programs are getting worse now, not better. Unless there is a major economic downturn that makes them desperate for business, I doubt things will get better.
Jaunts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:51 am
  #680  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COS
Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by Jaunts View Post
I agree with t1c. Loyalty programs are getting worse now, not better. Unless there is a major economic downturn that makes them desperate for business, I doubt things will get better.
I think that if some number of years into the future an outside data analytics firm (or a completely reinvented IT department) determines that a significant number of members are drastically reducing or eliminating their stay activity after reaching LT Plat, presumably while they're off chasing LT status elsewhere, then Marriott will reconsider current policy. I would expect the criteria to be quite high if that ever comes to pass.

What I also ponder is whether or not a LT Amb program will ever be introduced. Many will scoff at the notion, but I never thought I'd see the day when one could attain LT Global Services w/ United, but a "mere" 4MM will get you there today...

(And the above is precisely why I remain interested in my LT years counter in spite of already holding LTTE.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
CCIE_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:13 am
  #681  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,006
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I think that if some number of years into the future an outside data analytics firm (or a completely reinvented IT department) determines that a significant number of members are drastically reducing or eliminating their stay activity after reaching LT Plat, presumably while they're off chasing LT status elsewhere, then Marriott will reconsider current policy. I would expect the criteria to be quite high if that ever comes to pass.

What I also ponder is whether or not a LT Amb program will ever be introduced. Many will scoff at the notion, but I never thought I'd see the day when one could attain LT Global Services w/ United, but a "mere" 4MM will get you there today...

(And the above is precisely why I remain interested in my LT years counter in spite of already holding LTTE.)
I'm also a LTTit, but have zero doubt that LT Tit will be attainable at some point in the future for everyone.
iflyjetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:45 am
  #682  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I'm also a LTTit, but have zero doubt that LT Tit will be attainable at some point in the future for everyone.
Can someone tell me what the value of Lifetime Titanium over Lifetime Platinum is other than the higher earning multiplier? It's not like you get SNAs or Free Nights without annual stays. And, from my experience as a Lifetime Platinum/Annual Titanium, I don't see any treatment difference this year other than the person behind the desk saying "thank you for your loyalty". Perhaps I am missing something.
friscotrvlr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:12 pm
  #683  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,046
The only thing I can think of is the 48 hr Reservation Guarantee Titanium has that Plat doesn't. I will say that is a good benefit and I have made use of it more than a few times over the years.
hhoope01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 1:22 pm
  #684  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,309
Originally Posted by friscotrvlr View Post
Can someone tell me what the value of Lifetime Titanium over Lifetime Platinum is other than the higher earning multiplier? It's not like you get SNAs or Free Nights without annual stays. And, from my experience as a Lifetime Platinum/Annual Titanium, I don't see any treatment difference this year other than the person behind the desk saying "thank you for your loyalty". Perhaps I am missing something.
The biggest difference is you can't earn LTT anymore. It was only available to those that met the qualifications as of 12/31 (or thereabouts once accounts were current). Also, as with all things Marriott, there is only value when/if they choose to deliver the benefit.
RogerD408 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 8:41 am
  #685  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
The only thing I can think of is the 48 hr Reservation Guarantee Titanium has that Plat doesn't. I will say that is a good benefit and I have made use of it more than a few times over the years.
For now at least, there's also UA silver status.

But for me, at least, the motivation wasn't the current difference in benefits. Rather, I wanted to be locked into the higher tier looking into the future, when Marriott may enhance the benefits or Titanium, or devalue the benefits of Platinum.

Years ago, AA used to award LT status based on all points earned. Then they announced that going forward, only flown miles would increase the lifetime counter. They did give ample notice of this change, so there was a period of many months to cross the next threshold under the old rules. At the time, I was lifetime Gold, about 500K away from LT Platinum. I could have gotten to LT Platinum, or at least very close, if I had liquidated my other accounts including MR and SPG and transferred everything to AA. But I valued hotel points more, so for me this would be a sacrifice. I looked at the differences between AA Gold & Plat, and at the time, the main difference was Plat got lounge access internationally, earned a higher bonus on flights, and was higer on the upgrade lists. At the time, though, I was rarely flying internationally, had plenty of redeemable miles banked, and I was clearing as many upgrades as I could pay for, so I didn't strive for lifetime plat.

In the years since then, AA has devalued Gold, increasing the benefits gap to platinum. I only get one checked bag instead of two, I can't select an extra-legroom seat at time of booking, and upgrades have gotten a lot harder at the bottom of the totem pole. So every time I fly AA, I have some regrets that I didn't make the effort for platinum. And I didn't want to go through the same thing with Marriott.
swag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 19, 1:36 am
  #686  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Lifetime status

​​​​I hit 500 nights around March of 2018 and 10 years before the August 2018 take over of Marriott .So I should be lifetime platinum .It changed to that status in Jan of 2019.2 weeks later it changed to Lifetime gold I have a total of 551 stays/nights 6 of those nights were in 2019 so take those 6 nights away its 500.so why are they telling me that I didn't have.500 in 2018 My account still shows 551 nights and 10 years that didnt change just the status to gold .Tonight my status says I am on my way to silver elite lifetime status. Its says I have 551 nights/stays 0 years platinum......



QUOTE=swag;30126241]Nuance aside, mine is still not showing any LT status achieved. The app continues to show 701 nights, 14 years silver, and 10 years Plat, but still says "You are on your way to Lifetime Silver". The website shows the same nights total but that's all.
Is anyone else here still in this situation? Is it time to call, or will
Fighton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 19, 8:33 am
  #687  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by Fighton View Post
[left]​​​​I hit 500 nights around March of 2018 and 10 years before the August 2018 take over of Marriott .So I should be lifetime platinum .It changed to that status in Jan of 2019.2 weeks later it changed to Lifetime gold I have a total of 551 stays/nights 6 of those nights were in 2019 so take those 6 nights away its 500.so why are they telling me that I didn't have.500 in 2018 My account still shows 551 nights and 10 years that didnt change just the status to gold .Tonight my status says I am on my way to silver elite lifetime status. Its says I have 551 nights/stays 0 years platinum......
Under current rules for the combined Bonvoy program, LT platinum required 600 nights, so you haven't met that yet.

If you had 500 nights and 10 years all on the Starwood side by Aug 18, then that should have given you LT SPG platinum, and lifetime Bonvoy platinum as a result. If that's your sitiuation, when you contact to have this investigated, make sure you are clear that it's the legacy SPG rules that you should qualify under.
swag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 19, 8:55 am
  #688  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
I did reach 500 nights and 10 years in 2018 maybe even the end of 2017.In January of 2019 this year my Status was platinum lifetime a month later it disappeared and turned into gold lifetime and last night it said that I'm silver lifetime and Now it says I have 551 nights 0 years platinum
Fighton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:10 pm
  #689  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,195
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I think that if some number of years into the future an outside data analytics firm (or a completely reinvented IT department) determines that a significant number of members are drastically reducing or eliminating their stay activity after reaching LT Plat, presumably while they're off chasing LT status elsewhere, then Marriott will reconsider current policy. I would expect the criteria to be quite high if that ever comes to pass.
As a datapoint in favor, both Hilton and Hyatt offer top tier LT status, though both with higher requirements than Marriott's (now-retired) LT Titanium.

Hilton: 10 years Diamond, plus either 1,000 nights OR 2M base points ($200k LT spend)
Hyatt: 10 years membership, plus 1M base points ($200k LT spend)
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
dtremit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:11 am
  #690  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hawaii & Texas
Programs: AA & Delta Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 848
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II View Post
Hi there,

If you could provide your account details to us via private mail here or by email below, we are glad to help look into this.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
Christina,

I just sent you a couple of emails.
I was Platinum in 2018. I was changed to lifetime Platinum 01/01/19. By definition shouldn't, I have been changed to lifetime Titanium as this was the only year that was going to happen? I think this is acknowledged by the fact that my status was changed to lifetime meaning I met the qualifications.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Mar 30, 19 at 11:34 am
EXPLAT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread