Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 20, 22, 12:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: gudugan
Wiki Link
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 18, 7:23 am

Many thanks. Honestly, I didn't think I had any chance to achieve this, and was happy with Lifetime Gold. Again, I realize this new Platinum is a watered-down version of the old one, but having it for life isn't a bad thing.
Old Aug 28, 18, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wtigerFF View Post
From other posts, it sounds as if it's ok to merge but it may complicate things as far as keeping track of LT Points. It would be nice if there was something official from Marriott regarding this...

Will only the points earned at legacy Marriott brands count towards the lifetime points total, meaning if I stayed at a Westin, those points, other than the Credit Card points, wouldn't count towards the 2M Points?

If I hold off on merging, then I would need to use my SPG number for Brands coming from Starwood and MR number for brands coming from legacy Marriott?
If you are trying to earn based upon legacy rules, then only legacy stays will be counted. Theory is combining accounts will not matter not sure if it will cause an issue later.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Platinum = Old Gold

Originally Posted by PeakTek78 View Post
Many thanks. Honestly, I didn't think I had any chance to achieve this, and was happy with Lifetime Gold. Again, I realize this new Platinum is a watered-down version of the old one, but having it for life isn't a bad thing.
The new Platinum is the old Marriott Gold.
Old Aug 28, 18, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
How do you get to that screen?
Old Aug 28, 18, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
Before I combined accounts it only showed 3 years of Platinum, however I first earned Plat in 2012 and have qualified as Plat or PP every year since then. One year I did get a soft landing from PP to Plat when I really only earned Gold. (There is a 3-yr nights number that can keep you Plat.) So I was showing way low in the app. When I combined, I got 1 more year of Plat and 1 year of Gold added even though I NEVER earned any status in SPG, only been matched. So that is all messed up right now.
I am hoping that once my 15 nights come in from the card that I will clear Plat again this year (7th) and move up to LT Gold.
I did some checking on past data to see why they are only showing 4 years of Platinum when I should have 6 or 7. Here is my data (all Marriott only):

June 2012 turned Platinum (status match)
115 nights in 2012 Plat
201 nights in 2013 Plat
189 nights in 2014 Plat
134 nights in 2015 Plat
44 nights in 2016 PlatPrem
32 nights in 2017 PlatPrem (Rollover from 2015+2016 earned for 2017)
Started 2018 – Platinum (soft land) (will have 50+ earned for this year)
<miniscule SPG prior to 2018>

It appears they are only counting literal nights earned each year and applying it to rules. Probably not considering status matches, rollover nights, or soft lands, however I am still showing short (before combining it only showed 3 years Plat). It will remain to be seen if they do decide to count these as people call in. I am just waiting it out to see if they enhance the criteria and recalculate before the end of the year.

You can search your emails for Marriott and a subject about "Your Account" at the top of every year, usually about Megabonus, and it will show your total nights and status for the previous year.
Old Aug 28, 18, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
How do you get to that screen?
Go to the Overview page, scroll down to where it says your lifetime status (between current status and certificates), and click on the arrow on the right,
Old Aug 28, 18, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by swag View Post
Nuance aside, mine is still not showing any LT status achieved. The app continues to show 701 nights, 14 years silver, and 10 years Plat, but still says "You are on your way to Lifetime Silver". The website shows the same nights total but that's all.

Is anyone else here still in this situation? Is it time to call, or will that be fruitless?
I'd been holding off combining accounts since I wouldn't need anything from the SPG side until LTPP looks at combined nights at year end. And I was afraid of adding complexity or a new source of new issues. But nothing else was updating my LT status, and I want the status for a stay in a few days, so I decided to give it a go, hoping the merging would force the system to recalculate (or in my case, calculate) lifetime status.

Much to my surprise, it all worked perfectly. The accounts combined without error, the YTD and lifetime nights are correct, now showing the MR+SPG totals, and lifetime elite years is likewise showing the correct total. My lifetime status was immediately updated to LTP, and my current status also bumped up to Platinum.
Old Aug 28, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Im a Marriott Lifetime Platinum, qualifying with >750 nights and >2000000 points but with only 9 years of Platinum status. The app and website correctly display Lifetime Platinum Premier for me, grandfathering me into this tier due to my pre-existing Marriott Lifetime Platinum status. Is there any downside on merging my accounts at this time? Would love to snag the suite upgrades that would come with merging both accounts 😜
Old Aug 28, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Muerz View Post
Would love to snag the suite upgrades that would come with merging both accounts ��
That was a pretty significant incentive for me as well. I think we're still in YMMV territory, so it all comes down to your own risk vs. reward assessment and tolerance. In my case I'm just missing Ambassador being reflected in my account after combining, but everything else seems to have gone off without a hitch. And I was able to (if approved) use up some SNAs set to expire Dec 31, so it was definitely the right move for me.

Edit: Received an e-mail just now informing me that my SNA request at the Melbourne Marriott has been approved. Nice!

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Aug 28, 18 at 11:23 pm
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
I did some checking on past data to see why they are only showing 4 years of Platinum when I should have 6 or 7. Here is my data (all Marriott only):

June 2012 turned Platinum (status match)
115 nights in 2012 Plat
201 nights in 2013 Plat
189 nights in 2014 Plat
134 nights in 2015 Plat
44 nights in 2016 PlatPrem
32 nights in 2017 PlatPrem (Rollover from 2015+2016 earned for 2017)
Started 2018 Platinum (soft land) (will have 50+ earned for this year)
<miniscule SPG prior to 2018>

It appears they are only counting literal nights earned each year and applying it to rules. Probably not considering status matches, rollover nights, or soft lands, however I am still showing short (before combining it only showed 3 years Plat). It will remain to be seen if they do decide to count these as people call in. I am just waiting it out to see if they enhance the criteria and recalculate before the end of the year.

You can search your emails for Marriott and a subject about "Your Account" at the top of every year, usually about Megabonus, and it will show your total nights and status for the previous year.
How'd you get that historical data starting from 2012?
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:54 pm

I'm aware. But prior to this merger, I was regular Gold and would have had a tough time qualifying for any lifetime status. I like having lounge access, so lifetime Platinum is a big deal to me, personally.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat/1MM, DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
If you are trying to earn based upon legacy rules, then only legacy stays will be counted. Theory is combining accounts will not matter not sure if it will cause an issue later.
Thanks. I thought that might be the case. I think that until I get to 2M Points, it is safer to not merge...
Old Aug 29, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bob Chang View Post
How'd you get that historical data starting from 2012?
See last line of my post...
Old Aug 29, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
I am currently Marriott Lifetime Gold (based on old program), will the new lifetime Platinum status show end of this year or should it be showing now? Do i need to call them?
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by navatwal View Post
I am currently Marriott Lifetime Gold (based on old program), will the new lifetime Platinum status show end of this year or should it be showing now? Do i need to call them?
If you were MR LTG before the merge you should be LTP now. That was my case too and is showing as Platinum and LTP now. Unless the update will impact an upcoming stay, I suggest holding off to see if they get to your account. There is little the CSRs can do except put your account on a list for review which it probably already is.

Search this Thread