Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
Uhhhhhh I just went from 7 (technically I should have 8 years in 2022 but not credited yet) to 5.
Ok it’s back to 7
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Ok it’s back to 7
Yes. And I’m now back to 9.

When we as paying customers are regularly exposed to such random and rampant fubar IT it really makes you wonder about the massive amount of slapdash stuff that gets caught before we see it. It must be legion.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:09 pm

Legal actions?

I just found out about this forum and saw many of you have the same issue as I do (i.e., missing one Platinum year because the 2020 year was not credited). I have contacted Marriott several times but all they say is “your account is correct” with all those non-senses of “we remain transparent, fair and equitable…”. Has anyone considered/tried a law suit on this issue? Individual requests to Marriott do not seem to work at all but maybe a group fight might get us somewhere. Anyone with experiences on things like that?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I have like 150 missing nights, been trying to get Marriott to look into it.....3 months later they said still looking into it, and have now stopped responding. ugh
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cherrytree
I just found out about this forum and saw many of you have the same issue as I do (i.e., missing one Platinum year because the 2020 year was not credited). I have contacted Marriott several times but all they say is “your account is correct” with all those non-senses of “we remain transparent, fair and equitable…”. Has anyone considered/tried a law suit on this issue? Individual requests to Marriott do not seem to work at all but maybe a group fight might get us somewhere. Anyone with experiences on things like that?
I'm not a lawyer but I believe that membership of Bonvoy is entirely at Marriott's discretion and they can suspend it or close your account any time they like. There are reports of this happening when Marriott thinks there are irregularities in your account and there appears to be little you can do about it

Judging by the volume of complainants on this exact issue in this forum you may well be able to argue that there are enough members affected to support a class action law suit but (a) we'd all risk losing the membership, points, nights, and years we have got, and (b) I'm not sure what would motivate the lawyer given that all they'd achieve is getting a qualifying year added to a counter on an account. Taking a percentage of a hard cash payment after the death of a loved one from Big Tobacco this clearly ain't.

At most, you have to spend one more year staying 50 nights (or 20 nights with two credit cards in the US - which is the territory that seems to have the hots for class action lawsuits - or even 10 nights if there's a double night promo like there is at the moment). A sympathetic and pragmatic sigh is the most you're going to get here I suspect.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:02 am

Well I hit 56 nights this year and its year 10. Finally got Platinum Lifetime.

Of course I immediately started booking away. Sure, I will still stay with marriott when I have too. Its time to see if pastures are greener though. I mean how hard is it find a free breakfast with wildly unreliable treatment?
Old May 2, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I agree. Lifetime platinum here. Marriott keeps de-valuing their brand. Paying more for less now.
khabah and gudugan like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Well I hit 56 nights this year and its year 10. Finally got Platinum Lifetime.

Of course I immediately started booking away. Sure, I will still stay with marriott when I have too. Its time to see if pastures are greener though. I mean how hard is it find a free breakfast with wildly unreliable treatment?
I'm on 31 for year 10 and didn't push the double night promo to get to 50 because it's only May and I'm confident I'll make it to 50 this year now so my nights-chasing days are already effectively over. In Asia there are critical Bonvoy city properties I'll always stay at but I've been looking at Luxury Escapes for resort stays as they seem to offer better value in places like the Maldives than the few benefits we get at resorts. 19 nights to go... most will be done at Le Meridien Bangkok .
gudugan likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:07 am

2022 is year 8 for me. With the projected stays for this year (including a mattress run during the current double night promo), I'll requalify for Titanium and hit Lifetime Gold by the end of the year.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
When does the counter for elite years actually move? Has 2021 already been counted? Was expecting something at the end of April but from reading these posts, I should feel lucky one or more years wasn't taken away. A Bonvoy rep put me on a long hold and then hung up when I asked the same question.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
When does the counter for elite years actually move? Has 2021 already been counted? Was expecting something at the end of April but from reading these posts, I should feel lucky one or more years wasn't taken away. A Bonvoy rep put me on a long hold and then hung up when I asked the same question.
It was originally mentioned in #2644, I have wikiposted it.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Due to changes in work travel (clients not fully back yet) and life changes (baby uppereastsider is en route!), I've had to come to the conclusion I won't be able to make Hyatt Globalist again...

And thanks to having the Marriott Biz card + personal Amex bonvoy card giving me 30 EQNs, 20 actual nights is doable moving forward for Platinum.

I've read this thread over extensively and think I understand everything... but if someone can provide a sanity check, it would be most appreciated.

Current status: Platinum and Lifetime Gold (lifetime Gold due to SPG rules and not marriott rules)
Nights: 510
According to the app: 7 years as a platinum. 8 years gold/silver.
I received an extra platinum year during July 2021 - received the email from Marriott.

I'll finish the year at 520 nights and will re-qualify for platinum (I would have lost platinum a few years ago, but got it back during the Covid extensions)

So I should assume the following (with normal caveats about marriott IT):
In early 2023, probably January, I'll move up to 8 platinum years due to earning of platinum status in 2021
In early 2024, probably January, I'll move up to 9 years due to my earning of platinum status in 2022.

So if I re-earn Platinum in 2023, I should receive lifetime status in early 2025. But if I was to earn Titanium in 2024, I would receive lifetime platinum when I qualify for titanium (assuming I don't qualify for titanium during an earlier year).

Am I correct? If so, achieving this will help soften the blow of losing Hyatt. With a baby on the way, just having a way to get free breakfast on family vacations for the forseeable future is a very nice benefit.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
So if I re-earn Platinum in 2023, I should receive lifetime status in early 2025. But if I was to earn Titanium in 2024, I would receive lifetime platinum when I qualify for titanium (assuming I don't qualify for titanium during an earlier year).
Yup, sounds correct
uppereastsider likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Yup, sounds correct
thank you!
Old May 4, 2022, 7:24 pm

Does anyone seriously see value in this lifetime platinum status? I just booked a stay at the Marriott Cancun. I had to book two rooms as there are three kids and two adults.

Instead of booking two regular rooms and getting an upgrade, I booked a magna suite. Why? Because I know for a fact they won't upgrade anyone at all. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and no matter what they tell you they are booked and there are no upgrades. Status is irrelevant.

The only reason I picked that hotel was because it was cheapest of the options that I had. I am sure marriott would love to know they are competing on price. Thank god marriott shut down lifetime titanium. Wouldn't want people to think about staying in a marriott beyond 10 years. I know, now is when all those that have lifetime titanium tell me how its not a big a deal and I should not concern myself with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.