Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 15, 22, 1:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: gudugan
Wiki Link
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 21, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Well, sometime in the last couple of days my 10th year appeared. Like some others, I don’t know if it’s from 2020 or 2021 (I have already requalified for 2021, so it’s not an extension for me).
Old Nov 11, 21, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, CX Marco Polo Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Judging by FT, once one hits LT Plat, one stops staying with Marriott, except on rare occasions. 50+ nights annually becomes a handful at most.

So actually, the hotels will end up with fewer elites staying!
What I will do is stay fewer nights but at more expensive properties. I still want to get the benefits of my Platinum status (specifically lounge access, late check-out, breakfasts) as opposed to not getting these benefits at non-Bonvoy hotels but I won't manufacture staycations or divert to an inconvenient or substandard Bonvoy hotel or brand just for the sake of accruing the nights. Where there's nothing attractive in the Bonvoy portfolio, I will try booking non-Bonvoy hotels through tour operators such as Luxury Escapes who seem to have good deals or even build up a relationship with a Virtuoso agent. In short, I don't think Marriott will suffer too much in terms of revenue from my LTP status but certainly my nights will be down.

What I won't be doing is chasing status with another chain. Enough already. If I want occasional lounge access or breakfast in a non-Bonvoy hotel then I'll pay for it.

Last edited by ftrichard; Nov 12, 21 at 12:56 am Reason: Added a "but" for the avoidance of doubt
Old Nov 11, 21, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
If anything lifetime Plat it will increase my biz because Gold is currently not competitive with my Hyatt Globalist or even Hilton Gold. The free breakfast will be a draw for leisure stays.

that said I will dump my Amex cards once I cross 600 nights. And Hyatt will still be favored as long as I have Globalist.
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Nov 11, 21, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
On January 1st, 2020, my Lifetime Years incremented by one. In March, 2020 my lifetime years incremented a second time. At that point, I had 1 more Lifetime year than I should have had. I did attain LTG in 2020. In early 2021 Lifetime Years did not increment again so I figured it had balanced itself out.

Today my Lifetime Years incremented again. The best I can tell is that it is for 2021 since I had two years added in 2020. In about two weeks, I will attain AE status & then by the end of the month, I will cross 600 nights. If neither of those trigger another Lifetime Year then the increment today was for 2021.

James
Old Nov 11, 21, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by khabah View Post
So... this just happened.

10 years of Platinum. 600+ nights. It's all on display. YOU GUYS.

Only it's still showing up as Lifetime Gold.

Maybe it's the rush of emotions in my brain, but what? I'm pretty sure this is happening to at least one other person on these threads, so I'd appreciate any input from said members or from the Marriott Bonvoy Lurker team as to when this will properly and correctly display as Lifetime Platinum.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg

khabah

Your stats look remarkably similar to mine, Khabah, so I can fully empathise with the sense of relief. My counter updated to 10 on Monday, but still showing as LT Gold. Let's see how long that takes.

Now on the topic of travel plans moving forward. I'm a legacy SPG guest so the migration to Marriott has been wholly unpleasant. There are still plenty of great hotels with excellent recognition in Asia Pacific where I'm based, but I've almost totally lost faith in Marriott's desire to care and its technological ability to service its frequent guests.

Customer service is almost non-existent, technology is unreliable and the mishmash of published benefits are so inconsistently applied. Without an Ambassador like I had in the good old days of SPG, I have no human point of contact to resolve issues. That to me means staying with Marriott is a risky proposition for me, and where I have a choice, a risk I'm seldom willing to take.

Ultimately, it's an erosion of trust in the brand that has radically reduced my business. Yes, I'm a very happy Hyatt Globalist, but within APAC Accor also has a compelling range of high end hotels, but that's more in spite of its loyalty and technology woes which I'd argue are even worse than Marriott's.
khabah likes this.
Old Nov 11, 21, 11:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Woke up this morning and checked, and look: confetti.

It happened. It actually, finally, really happened.

Thank you. *pageant sob* Thank you

khabah

Old Nov 13, 21, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I had my 600th night last week (in a Moxy at Vienna airport, but heyho nowadays we take what we can get) and got my confetti shower 2 days later. Was already 14 years Platinum; still pleasantly surprised how quick the status got updated after reading other posts here. Well, not complaining
Old Nov 13, 21, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
All going to plan I should reach LTP by years end.
Old Nov 13, 21, 10:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Not at the LTP level yet, but my numbers definitely went up in the last few days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 21, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My years as Plat or higher rolled to 10 within the past few days. Still 61 nights away.
Old Nov 13, 21, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, CX Marco Polo Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
A lot of love and joy going on in this thread now after the years of pain and misery.

But still, there's the unanswered question: to which qualifying year does this welcome increment belong?

We are hoping that it is the missing year from 2020 that eluded so many of our accounts. But it may be the gifted year from 2021. Or even the qualified year from 2021 (for those of us with counts over 50 nights). There's also the possibility that Marriott's getting right ahead and it refers to the gifted year of 2022.

It still leaves some uncertainty what to do next year for those of us who are now one tantalising lifetime year away from Lifetime Platinum: do I need to stay 50 nights in 2022 now or not? If we get another increment early in 2022 for 2021 then the answer will clearly be no. But if we don't then we will be left in limbo on this question as the year drags on as we were during 2021.
Old Nov 13, 21, 7:39 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
My years as Plat or higher rolled to 10 within the past few days. Still 61 nights away.
Similiar result here, but a little farther away on the nights-86 more needed, though I have at least 6 more planned in December.
Old Nov 13, 21, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Did Marriott change the layout of its website? I can't seem to find out my lifetime years from the desktop website. I can still see the lifetime information on the mobile app.

How can I check when I first qualified for Platinum? According to the app, I only have three years of Platinum, so seven more to go...
Old Nov 13, 21, 8:04 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Did Marriott change the layout of its website? I can't seem to find out my lifetime years from the desktop website. I can still see the lifetime information on the mobile app.

How can I check when I first qualified for Platinum? According to the app, I only have three years of Platinum, so seven more to go...
On the website, click on 'Overview' and then scroll down to the LT status, click on the little arrow on the right in the box and it will take you to the details. I've never found the additional details about which years were included, so maybe a phone call is in your future.
Old Nov 13, 21, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
On the website, click on 'Overview' and then scroll down to the LT status, click on the little arrow on the right in the box and it will take you to the details. I've never found the additional details about which years were included, so maybe a phone call is in your future.
My "overview" page doesn't have that. Even when I click on details under the number of nights that I have for this year, I only see my lifetime nights and not my lifetime years.

Search this Thread