Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
How to View Lifetime Status: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22489
Lifetime Status Details: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22145
Elite processing: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34363

How will my Eligible Status Years for 2022 be applied to my Account and when?

If you maintained the same Elite status in 2022 that you started with in 2022 , your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be applied to your Account in January 2023.

If you achieved a higher Elite status during 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for the new, higher tier was applied at the time of achievement.

If you did not meet the published criteria to renew your current status in 2022, your 2022 Eligible Status Year for your current status will be added in January 2023, and your Eligible Status Year for your new status will be added in March 2023 when your Elite status is updated.

===

When will my 2021 qualifying year of Elite status be applied to my Account so I can track my path to Lifetime Elite Status?

As part of our regular process, Members receive their qualifying year towards Lifetime Elite status in one of two ways:
  1. If you maintain the same Elite level that you started the year with, your Qualifying Year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January of the following year. Please Note: In November 2021, when we extended the Elite status that Members earned in 2019 or 2020, Members received their 2021 Qualifying Year of Elite status.
  2. If you achieve a higher Elite level during the year than the previous year, your Qualifying Year for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement. Please Note: If you achieved a higher Elite level during 2021, your 2021 qualifying year of Elite status, was applied at the time of achievement.

If you maintain the same Elite level for 2022, your 2022 year of Elite status will be applied to your Account in January 2023. If you achieve a higher Elite level during 2022, your 2022 year of tenure for the new, higher level will be applied at the time of achievement.

Examples:
  • A Member achieved Gold Elite in 2019 and enjoyed the status in 2020. They received their 2020 year of Gold Elite status in July 2020 when we extended their status. Due to status extensions, the Member received their 2021 year of tenure in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Member achieved Platinum Elite in 2020 and enjoyed the status in 2021. They received their 2021 year of Platinum status in November 2021 when they their status was extended to February 2023.
  • A Gold Elite Member achieved Platinum Elite in April 2021; the Platinum year of Elite status for 2021 was applied upon achievement (in April 2021).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Lifetime Elite Status General Discussion [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I don't see why a hotel should make a big deal about Lifetime members. After all a Lifetime member could be a horrible customer who stays 2-3 nights a year with Marriott while the status holder of the same tier does a hard qualification every year. Business wise it makes more sense to treat active customers better. But this goes a step too far in applying common sense with a company that even treats their $20k Ambassadors like a doormat.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't think properties "must" or "should" acknowledge... I was commenting on how the front desk person saw my status in the "new" system as I was quite curious post-merger. I also asked a bunch of other questions in addition to that one.

But having said that, it's always nice touch when the unexpected acknowledgement is made. In the past, I would receive several gifts for being LT (explicitly pointed out by staff), and it's always a nice touch.
Originally Posted by myperks
A lifetime member is not “could be a horrible customer”, but “is a horrible customer” especially on FT . Active customers and those pursuing lifetime are the ones that Marriott are after. Lifetime members are a cost to Marriott. Most, if not all LTs, are going for elite status in other programs and just hanging out with Marriott when convenient.
The Marriott Bonv°y program has five elite levels, not ten — duplicating each level by prefacing it with "Lifetime".

This is as it should be, because while some lifers might be retirees, or true loyalists who concentrate the vast majority of their spend with Marriott, others could be like those myperks described: dabblers who have moved on to seeking lifetime status with competing programs.

Certainty, there is absolutely no doubt that lifetime elite guests DO NOT, by that reason alone, deserve any greater benefit than any other guest of the same level.

On the other hand, part of the marketing aspect of loyalty programs is to make the guest "feel important". So it mightn't hurt to allow lifetime status to be visible to Front Desk personnel, so that it can be acknowledged — unless too time-consuming or confusing for them. Perhaps this is best left to each property, who best knows their own workload and personnel competency.

As for me, I am true Bonv°y enthusiast, but one who has earned well over half his nights through credit card spend.

To keep more of us active and "in the chase" for longer, perhaps Marriott should open up Lifetime Titanium Elite again, this time at 1,000 nights and 10 years Titanium Elite status.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I was a LTP in Starwood and am now LTT in Bonvoy, and also an Ambassador member (with >240 nights last year). In the Starwood days, there was a specific code for LTP that would appear even on the printed check-in form for me to sign and hotels often commented on my status and seemed to give more generous upgrades, at least some of the time. I have not had a single hotel mention me being a lifetime member since the integration of Marriott and Starwood systems, which suggests at the very least it's much less obvious for agents. From my own experience and that of friends, I think many LTTs are still frequent travelers who also earn LTT or Ambassador status every year, so I'd question the assertion of some posters that LTP/LTT members are worth less or should have fewer benefits.

All that said, I now much prefer Hyatt and am typing this from a Hyatt.
SPN Lifer, HHQX888 and Pocatello like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
A lifetime member is not “could be a horrible customer”, but “is a horrible customer” especially on FT . Active customers and those pursuing lifetime are the ones that Marriott are after. Lifetime members are a cost to Marriott. Most, if not all LTs, are going for elite status in other programs and just hanging out with Marriott when convenient.

What Marriott should really do is revamp the whole lifetime program and elite status to remove platinum lounge access and put in full breakfast benefits instead. That way lifetime platinums will need to reach titanium/ambasssdor on an annual basis to gain lounge access instead of full breakfast as the Platinum substitute. This will truly be “recurring” revenue generating. (I have no doubt some sort of devaluation is forthcoming on platinum status, like airline status). Ready to be reamed for these comments... GO!!! (I understand that there are LTTs but that population is probably not a lot in the grand scheme of things).

OT, I’m sure everyone agrees that Properties should be held accountable for elite benefits and without consistent application throughout system, it doesn’t really matter. Ambassador elite is basically titanium with an upgraded title. Titanium is basically platinum with potential ritz eligible suite upgrades and UA silver. There is no differentiation. Remove silver and just keep gold platinum titanium and ambassador and revamp more simplified benefits that can be implemented systemwide.
Bonvoy already treats lifetime elites differently than annual-qualifier elites. Specifically, by making the choice benefits open only to those who achieve 50 or 75 nights in a year, they are granting that benefit to annual members but not to lifetimes.

As far as breakfasts, from threads here, it seems many prefer a full restaurant breakfast over access to the lounge buffet, so that might not be the carrot you think it is.
skywalkerLAX and ryw like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Agree that there is a cost to Marriott associated with LT members. However, the benefit to Marriott is the revenue they gain from all of those non-lifetime or lower level lifetime members that so strongly desire (based on reading this forum) lifetime status. If LT status held no perks no one else would try to attain it...

What Marriott should really do is revamp the whole lifetime program and elite status to remove platinum lounge access and put in full breakfast benefits instead. That way lifetime platinums will need to reach titanium/ambasssdor on an annual basis to gain lounge access instead of full breakfast as the Platinum substitute. This will truly be “recurring” revenue generating. (I have no doubt some sort of devaluation is forthcoming on platinum status, like airline status). Ready to be reamed for these comments... GO!!! (I understand that there are LTTs but that population is probably not a lot in the grand scheme of things).

OT, I’m sure everyone agrees that Properties should be held accountable for elite benefits and without consistent application throughout system, it doesn’t really matter. Ambassador elite is basically titanium with an upgraded title. Titanium is basically platinum with potential ritz eligible suite upgrades and UA silver. There is no differentiation. Remove silver and just keep gold platinum titanium and ambassador and revamp more simplified benefits that can be implemented systemwide.
I like the idea of greater differentiation. OTOH, along with that idea I think MR should actually strengthen the LT program in parallel. Make LTT available to all again with 1200 nights and 15 years at the 75 night level. Maybe even make lifetime ambassador available at 2000 nights and 20 years at the 75 (or maybe even 100) night level.

n.b. I say this as a lifetime Ti with over 1200 nights and 15 years at the 75 night level...
josephstern likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by merrickdb
I was a LTP in Starwood and am now LTT in Bonvoy, and also an Ambassador member (with >240 nights last year). In the Starwood days, there was a specific code for LTP that would appear even on the printed check-in form for me to sign and hotels often commented on my status and seemed to give more generous upgrades, at least some of the time. I have not had a single hotel mention me being a lifetime member since the integration of Marriott and Starwood systems, which suggests at the very least it's much less obvious for agents. From my own experience and that of friends, I think many LTTs are still frequent travelers who also earn LTT or Ambassador status every year, so I'd question the assertion of some posters that LTP/LTT members are worth less or should have fewer benefits.

All that said, I now much prefer Hyatt and am typing this from a Hyatt.
Originally Posted by swag
Bonvoy already treats lifetime elites differently than annual-qualifier elites. Specifically, by making the choice benefits open only to those who achieve 50 or 75 nights in a year, they are granting that benefit to annual members but not to lifetimes.

As far as breakfasts, from threads here, it seems many prefer a full restaurant breakfast over access to the lounge buffet, so that might not be the carrot you think it is.
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Agree that there is a cost to Marriott associated with LT members. However, the benefit to Marriott is the revenue they gain from all of those non-lifetime or lower level lifetime members that so strongly desire (based on reading this forum) lifetime status. If LT status held no perks no one else would try to attain it...

I like the idea of greater differentiation. OTOH, along with that idea I think MR should actually strengthen the LT program in parallel. Make LTT available to all again with 1200 nights and 15 years at the 75 night level. Maybe even make lifetime ambassador available at 2000 nights and 20 years at the 75 (or maybe even 100) night level.

n.b. I say this as a lifetime Ti with over 1200 nights and 15 years at the 75 night level...
I don't see anyone mentioning lowering benefits for LT platinums versus regular platinum members.
I was referring to the overall revamping of the elite status levels to be more balanced since plat/tit/amb really got the same benefits and gold/silver got the same benefits, so in fact there are only two levels. Hence if normal elite benefits were revamped, it will affect LTPs.

The only differentiation right now between plat and titanium/ambassador is tit/amb gets UA silver and potential Ritz suite upgrade (and some watered down amb benefits). I mentioned removal of platinum lounge access in favor of full breakfast at all (and maybe a couple lounge access certs like Hyatt) because that will probably drive additional revenue to Marriott from LTP since Titaniums/Ambassadors will still get lounge access under this hypothetical scenario, for those that cherish lounge access and go for it. Kind of a la Hilton for Golds.

I guess bringing back LTT qualifications will also be revenue-generating, but really need to limit to actual stay nights (versus promo/cc)
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I highly doubt that if (and that is a very big IF) MAR for some reason reintroduce LTT I doubt that any thresholds will be corresponding to year as Titanium , this since some of the historical data needed to calculate years as titanium was purged in the merger. My own stay record is full of holes both from MR and SPG. No idea how this came to be but that is how my account look like. More likely they will increase the number of LT nights required ... I am not even sure they track Platinum+ year very accurately once you hit 10 years so who knows ....
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
What to do after getting LT Plat?

I'm 26 nights from LT Plat, which I'll reach over the next two years after my CC elite nights post. What do people do after getting LT status? - try to get LT status with another program?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eethan
I'm 26 nights from LT Plat, which I'll reach over the next two years after my CC elite nights post. What do people do after getting LT status? - try to get LT status with another program?
Why were you seeking LTP in the first place? Has anything changed?

David
margarita girl and samosa like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by DELee
Why were you seeking LTP in the first place? Has anything changed?

David
This is an interesting question. I will achieve LTP this year with just 18 more paid-for nights (or 9 if I do them during the double-night promo). Like buying a house, marriage, retirement, and surviving a life-threatnening disease, achieving LTP is a significant life event and your question has provoked me to reflect on the answer.

I conclude it's the same answer for all these significant life events: I'll enjoy it.

(In reality, it means fewer manufactured staycations, fewer nights overall but probably at better Bonvoy hotels, and a greater choice of brands as a free agent in locations where the Platinum benefits are lacking via companies like Luxury Escapes. Whether this brings Bonvoy comfort I don't know.)
samosa and Guate87 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Here's what I'm gonna do in the same situation (waiting for my 38 nights to post):

I'm now collecting SPG nights since 2002 and only have the Amex since 2017 so most of my nights were generated at the property. I like the legacy SPG brands but really despise most Marriott hotels with the exception of Autograph Collection. The reason why I went after LTP is easy - I was already at 440 nights when the merger took place and they moved the goalpost from 500 to 600. Not a big deal especially since they gave us the "free" lifetime nights in 2020/2021 but it would have been stupid to just drop it just because I'm not into Marriott as a brand.

My primary program however has always been Hyatt as I feel that as Diamond/Globalist it always had the most pull of any elite tier. Despite having stayed with them a lot in 12 years I'm just ~ 45% at Hyatt's lifetime threshold and since it's exclusively spend based (1 Million points = $200,000) I'm not holding my breath. There are better things I can imagine doing with $100k than to give it to Hyatt within a few short years

I'll continue to keep Hyatt as my primary and will look at Hilton/Marriott based on convenience and best price. The biggest relief for me is not having to hit xx nights with Marriott on top of Hyatt each year because that's really a strain on my wallet since pretty much all stays are personal nowadays.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
... What Marriott should really do is revamp the whole lifetime program and elite status to remove platinum lounge access and put in full breakfast benefits instead. That way lifetime platinums will need to reach titanium/ambasssdor on an annual basis to gain lounge access instead of full breakfast as the Platinum substitute. This will truly be “recurring” revenue generating. (I have no doubt some sort of devaluation is forthcoming on platinum status, like airline status). Ready to be reamed for these comments... GO!!! (I understand that there are LTTs but that population is probably not a lot in the grand scheme of things). ...
Nobody would go for Marriott Platinum anymore the regular way if it doesn't include lounge access. To make lounge access contingent upon staying 75 nights per year would be the commercial death of the program. I can't think of a recent hotel stay where I didn't get full breakfast as Platinum/titanium. Then again I don't stay in North America and most of the grievances people (on FT) seem to have is about shoddy treatment they receive at U.S. properties.

Agreed, some point down the pipe Platinum as a whole will be devalued again. LTT should make a comeback to give LTP's some perspective why they should continue to give a bigger volume of business to Marriott vs just moving on to another chain.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond

Move on over to Hyatt!

I jest! Mostly.

I earned Hyatt Globalist for the first time ever about 2 weeks ago. Brand new to Hyatt.

I would enjoy staying at all of the Autograph Collection hotels. They are charming.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I basically enjoy Lifetime status rather than searching for another program.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I stopped travelling for work (other than the odd day trip, with maybe an overnight) right before I achieved LT Gold (which quickly became Titanium due to the change in the program). So now I mainly use my status as an additional perk when on holiday if there is a nice Marriot-brand hotel close to where I am going. Otherwise, I don't stay enough anywhere, and the places I have tended to do on holidays the past few years (ski resorts in Europe), there isn't a point for me in getting status in another program.

If I was still travelling as much as I used to, I'm not sure what I would concentrate on. Status in another program would open up more opportunities to stay at hotels, and maybe if I got a status match I'd do that. But if not, I think I'd rather enough the benefits of the Marriott status. I always really valued lounge access, as I love the opportunity to choose to quickly grab-and-go a breakfast/snack/drink, or to choose to sit and enjoy a quiet place out of the room.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I stopped travelling for work (other than the odd day trip, with maybe an overnight) right before I achieved LT Gold (which quickly became Titanium due to the change in the program).
LT Gold became LT Platinum. How did you manage to get LT Titanium from LT Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.