Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Dublin City, Ireland [Master Thread]

Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have any more information on this new property? It says it's opening in November, and I'm looking to stay in Dublin in November for a weekend.

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:33 pm

Downtown Westin is really nice. Easy access from the airport and to everything downtown.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Unfortunately that property isnt available for points redemption the weekend Ill be there.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Opening Nov '18 (but trying to book a room through 3rd week of Nov unsuccessful, so not certain of actual opening date). Cat 4.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...t-dublin-city/

"Celebrate your style at Aloft Dublin City, a hip new hotel where you'll be close to the hot-spots of The Liberties, one of the capital's oldest neighborhoods. We offer easy-breezy access to the Guinness Storehouse, Saint Patrick's Cathedral and St. Stephen's Green.Meet & mingle with friends at our w xyz(SM) bar, grab a sweet, savory or healthy snack from re:fuel by Aloft(SM), our 24/7 pantry, or play in our re:mix(SM) lounge. Plus, you can always stay connected with free hotel-wide wired and wireless High Speed Internet Access! Breeze into one of our Aloft rooms, featuring our ultra-comfortable signature bed, walk-in shower, custom amenities by Bliss Spa and more. Our plug & play connectivity station charges all your electronics and links to the 42” LCD TV to maximize work and play."
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:25 pm

Now says opening Dec '18.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Made a booking for next spring.
Look forward to reading some reviews here!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:23 am

Sounds pretty cool!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any updates?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
It looks like the hotel is up and running. Maybe someone already has or is planning on staying there in the near future.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
I am staying in two weeks time (hopefully, since you can't make new reservations still for my dates).

Will let you know my thoughts.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Just arrived. AC apparently broken on 3 floors, placed on first.

No recognition of my titanium status, even though they had a print out to remind them on the desk. Had to prompt them asking for benefits. No upgrade. Probably the worst check in experience I have had over the past 12 months (with approx 200 nights).

Room seems ok, but very overlooked from flats across the road. Some initial pics below.

Renard likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by MrM2016
Just arrived. AC apparently broken on 3 floors, placed on first.

No recognition of my titanium status, even though they had a print out to remind them on the desk. Had to prompt them asking for benefits. No upgrade. Probably the worst check in experience I have had over the past 12 months (with approx 200 nights).

Room seems ok, but very overlooked from flats across the road. Some initial pics below.
Any kind of desk or place to sit? How is the location? Lots of stuff to walk to nearby?

Public transit nearby? Easy transit from the airport?

What was the plat/titanium breakfast like?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Renard

Any kind of desk or place to sit? How is the location? Lots of stuff to walk to nearby?

Public transit nearby? Easy transit from the airport?

What was the plat/titanium breakfast like?
There was a small desk. Location was good, but not great. It's down a residential street and built literally opposite a university hall of residence (more on this later).

Buses did not stop straight outside, so it was always a walk to get to one. It's about 5 minutes from St Patrick's Cathedral, where you can catch the tour buses, the commuter buses were further out. We used the 747 bus from the airport and the nearest stop was 15 minutes walk away.

The breakfast spread was grains based, there was fresh fruit, meats, cheeses and bread available. Quality was good, but it was a very limited scale. For example, 6 glasses of juice were put out at a time. I don't see how they are going to scale that up.

I'm still miffed about the shambolic titanium/platinum treatment, but overall the stay was satisfactory. The rate was around 100 cheaper than both the Westin and the Renaissance options in the city and we didn't miss out on anything due to the location. They also honored our 4pm late checkout without issue.

The biggest weakness of this hotel is that on one side it is literally surrounded by a university hall of residence. One of the students has installed a sarcastic 'Hi' sticker on their curtain at their discontent. It looks like about 5 of the 7 floors on this side get no view other than the dorms. On the other side (where we were placed) wasn't much better, but wasn't quite as overwhelming. I imagine the 6th floor enjoys good views, like the reception and dining area on the 7th. The photo below is the view from the restaurant looking down opposite the building. Imagine being level with these.

So my view is go to this hotel if you:
1. Want a Marriott property for less than the Renaissance or Westin in Dublin.
2. Are fine with walking a little bit to bus stops,
3. Are not bothered with the view from the property and happy to keep your blind down.
4. Do not care about upgrades.

It ultimately was ok for us, as we were sightseeing and spent little time in the hotel. If I was returning, I'd pay the extra for the other options - or consider a Hilton, since they seemed to have a strong presence around the city.
Renard and nequine like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:36 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
A couple of other questions (hoping @MrM2016 might be able to help...):

- Is there desk space in the room?
- what was the wifi speed like?
- anything like a business centre (or just a discreet place to join a webinar)

I'm considering using my soon-to-expire cat5 cert on a stay here in a couple of weeks' time, but will need to take part in a couple of webinars that day.
I really don't care about the view, so long as I can get my work stuff done.
Looks like it's an easy 10 min stroll to The Beer Market, so I can get my fix of decent beers (Galway Bay Brewery has never disappointed, and that location also has some great guest beers, IME)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.