Marriott Elite Reservation Guarantee

Old Oct 10, 18, 3:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 49
Marriott Elite Reservation Guarantee

Received an email earlier today that I am being walked from a confirmed reservation next Friday night because the hotel is oversold. The hotel will be paying for my night elsewhere, but I was told by one of their reps that I'm not eligible to receive the $100 in extra compensation described in the benefits for Gold Elite members because this TownePlace is only a "select" and not a "full-service" location.

I don't see anything in the T&C differentiating within a given brand. Is the rep wrong? And who should I follow up with, a manager at the hotel that isn't honoring my reservation or the general Marriott Rewards number?

Thanks.
RMZ2006 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:18 pm
  #2  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON (YOW)
Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat75, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,601
Looks very clear to me... $100 and 90k points if you're Plat or higher.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Absolute is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:25 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,174
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Looks very clear to me... $100 and 90k points if you're Plat or higher.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

But OP is gold which suggests there is no $100 and 90k points entitlement.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:28 pm
  #4  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,160
The full T&C can be found at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Read specifically section 4.3 (a) - 90K points is given to any elite that is walked. The difference is for $100 for a non-FS hotel and $200 for a FS hotel. Note that Plat and above also have walk coverage at RC and St. Regis hotels, but all elites have coverage for the other listed hotel brands (which does include TPSes).
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: YXT
Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Posts: 524
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
The full T&C can be found at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Read specifically section 4.3 (a) - 90K points is given to any elite that is walked. The difference is for $100 for a non-FS hotel and $200 for a FS hotel. Note that Plat and above also have walk coverage at RC and St. Regis hotels, but all elites have coverage for the other listed hotel brands (which does include TPSes).
There's a ** notation for the 90k points at properties including TownePlace Suites. At those properties, the $100 is required, but 90k points is only for Platinum and higher.
somedude3210 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 4:09 am
  #6  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG
Posts: 713
Originally Posted by RMZ2006 View Post
Received an email earlier today that I am being walked from a confirmed reservation next Friday night because the hotel is oversold. The hotel will be paying for my night elsewhere, but I was told by one of their reps that I'm not eligible to receive the $100 in extra compensation described in the benefits for Gold Elite members because this TownePlace is only a "select" and not a "full-service" location.

I don't see anything in the T&C differentiating within a given brand. Is the rep wrong? And who should I follow up with, a manager at the hotel that isn't honoring my reservation or the general Marriott Rewards number?

Thanks.

The information provided by the representative is correct.

Based on the clause 4.3.a.iii, if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the property upon arrival, the Participating Property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media

Marriott International

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker IV is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:16 am
  #7  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,160
Originally Posted by somedude3210 View Post
There's a ** notation for the 90k points at properties including TownePlace Suites. At those properties, the $100 is required, but 90k points is only for Platinum and higher.
I missed that little piece of information. Thanks for catching it.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 1,043
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV View Post
The information provided by the representative is correct.

Based on the clause 4.3.a.iii, if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the property upon arrival, the Participating Property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media

Marriott International

[email protected]
Wait what?

The property hasnít paid the Ultimate Reservation guarantee if they donít give OP $100.

OP, I would first follow up with the hotel and link them to the MR page stating that the required compensation for TownePlace Suites is $100 in addition to paying for the other hotel. They may end up magically finding you a room after all.
GoPhils is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:31 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV View Post
The information provided by the representative is correct.

Based on the clause 4.3.a.iii, if an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the property upon arrival, the Participating Property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media

Marriott International

[email protected]
I appreciate your response. However, my inquiry isn't related to the Elite Benefits Guarantee.

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee states, "If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience."

The property in question is fulfilling the first portion of the guarantee by providing a room at another area hotel; my question is in relation to the "...and compensate the Member for the inconvenience" clause. Specifically, the guest compensation for the TownePlace Suites brand is listed as $100 plus 90,000 points for Platinum members. As a Gold, I am not entitled to the points, but it seems I should have $100 coming my way, as there is nothing in the T&C that further differentiate between full-service and other types of properties within the TownePlace brand, as the rep suggested.
RMZ2006 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 1:45 am
  #10  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG
Posts: 713
Originally Posted by RMZ2006 View Post
I appreciate your response. However, my inquiry isn't related to the Elite Benefits Guarantee.

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee states, "If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience."

The property in question is fulfilling the first portion of the guarantee by providing a room at another area hotel; my question is in relation to the "...and compensate the Member for the inconvenience" clause. Specifically, the guest compensation for the TownePlace Suites brand is listed as $100 plus 90,000 points for Platinum members. As a Gold, I am not entitled to the points, but it seems I should have $100 coming my way, as there is nothing in the T&C that further differentiate between full-service and other types of properties within the TownePlace brand, as the rep suggested.
I am sorry to make you confused.

To be eligible, Member's Loyalty Program Member Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Indeed, Gold Elite members relocated from Towneplace properties will have the accommodation compensated that night as well as a USD100 compensation.

If hotel just arranged and paid for comparable accommodation nearby for you on that night but did not compensate you, please PM us your information or send details to us by below email address.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media

Marriott International

[email protected]
GoPhils, RMZ2006 and bresnab like this.
Starwood Lurker IV is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 7:21 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Posts: 679
That sounds like it should be all cleared up, RMZ! TownPlace Suites are clearly listed in the terms.
daloosh is offline  
Old Oct 12, 18, 12:45 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV View Post
I am sorry to make you confused.

To be eligible, Member's Loyalty Program Member Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Indeed, Gold Elite members relocated from Towneplace properties will have the accommodation compensated that night as well as a USD100 compensation.

If hotel just arranged and paid for comparable accommodation nearby for you on that night but did not compensate you, please PM us your information or send details to us by below email address.

Best Regards,

Abbey Liu

Specialist, Social Media

Marriott International

[email protected]
Thanks again. Just sent you a PM.
RMZ2006 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 1:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SCQ,MEX,LED
Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Posts: 324
Hi, need to clarify one thing.
If i booked a room and the room is not available (other room types are, but not one i booked, which is a suite), does the Platinum guarantee means that
1) the hotel has to refund me the cost of the stay PLUS pay for my accommodation at a nearby hotel PLUS compensate, depending on the brand
OR
2) pay for my accommodation at a nearby hotel PLUS compensate, depending on the brand, without refunding the cost of my original stay?
Let me know
Thanks
igor82j is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Posts: 8,496
Originally Posted by igor82j View Post
Hi, need to clarify one thing.
If i booked a room and the room is not available (other room types are, but not one i booked, which is a suite), does the Platinum guarantee means that
1) the hotel has to refund me the cost of the stay PLUS pay for my accommodation at a nearby hotel PLUS compensate, depending on the brand
OR
2) pay for my accommodation at a nearby hotel PLUS compensate, depending on the brand, without refunding the cost of my original stay?
Let me know
Thanks
No you do not get all of that compensation. You were not walked. If you get a room, but its not your room type, you only get $100 (or less) See this link. The comp you cited is for people that cannot get a room at all at the property they booked.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Mr. Vker is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:09 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,850
None of the above.

The guaranteed room type benefit offers cash compensation depending on the property brand.
Kacee is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread