Search

Fee for connecting room?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This was legacy Starwood.
Personally, I'd guess it has more to do with the local hotel management/ownership than with the hotel company, be it Starwood or Marriott.

With that said, if a given hotel only had a few connecting rooms and/or is in a market where there is a high demand for them, I might be able to see a specific hotel charging extra for connecting rooms. But under most situations, I doubt it would net a hotel very much in the way of extra revenue.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Every time I've requested side-by-side rooms with a connecting door:

1. My request was always granted
2. I was never charged extra

This was legacy Starwood.

Last time I took the family to the Westin Grand Cayman I asked for connecting rooms in an email prior to arrival. They wanted $150/nt, so I told them "no thanks", but please do make a note in my reservation and hopefully you can accommodate this request at check in.

At check-in time, no connecting rooms were available.

Oh, and SPG Plat didn't get me any sort of upgrade either.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Okto
Last time I took the family to the Westin Grand Cayman I asked for connecting rooms in an email prior to arrival. They wanted $150/nt, so I told them "no thanks", but please do make a note in my reservation and hopefully you can accommodate this request at check in.

At check-in time, no connecting rooms were available.

Oh, and SPG Plat didn't get me any sort of upgrade either.
Hmm. Perhaps this is/was a resort thing?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
My thought was that it sounded very SPG, as I've never had problems at any Marriott getting connecting rooms guaranteed in advance without paying a fee. Sure enough, later in the thread we saw this is at a Westin.
As noted in countless threads across the board, service and recognition at legacy Starwood properties has gone in the tank for many of us post-8/18
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
As noted in countless threads across the board, service and recognition at legacy Starwood properties has gone in the tank for many of us post-8/18
If this is true and not just sky-is-falling nonsense from the rabid SPG loyalists, it begs a very serious question. Why have legacy Starwood properties thrown their service and recognition in the tank since the merger went final? How is it even possible for so many properties with so many employees to systematically screw things up for the guests who, if this is to believed, lived like kings up until the very day before? And why are legacy Marriott properties doing such a better job with service and recognition, the same as they always have?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s because the SPG reception system can no longer differentiate between anyone who has stayed 25 nights or above (old SPG Gold).

After 10 former SPG stays I finally found a property (ironically the Four Points Barcelona - the cheapest property i’d been at) which made the effort to check on their customers on some other list, but otherwise former SPG properties are basically clueless until the new system is brought in.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If this is true and not just sky-is-falling nonsense from the rabid SPG loyalists, it begs a very serious question. Why have legacy Starwood properties thrown their service and recognition in the tank since the merger went final? How is it even possible for so many properties with so many employees to systematically screw things up for the guests who, if this is to believed, lived like kings up until the very day before? And why are legacy Marriott properties doing such a better job with service and recognition, the same as they always have?
I think this is more of collusion of the owners/managers and not the entire staff at a property. Maybe escalating this to SPG Regional Managers will spark a discussion get this resolved. Also, as suggested, posting such activity on Trip Advisor will expose the practice in a negative light and get them to change.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s because the SPG reception system can no longer differentiate between anyone who has stayed 25 nights or above (old SPG Gold).

After 10 former SPG stays I finally found a property (ironically the Four Points Barcelona - the cheapest property i’d been at) which made the effort to check on their customers on some other list, but otherwise former SPG properties are basically clueless until the new system is brought in.
Before 8/18, SPG properties couldn't distinguish between plat guests who stayed 100 nights versus those had 25 stays. Lightspeed still doesn't have that info although I can't say whether it distinguishes between gold and plat under the new rules. However, the hotel gets separately a list that helps them identify Plat Premiers.

So ... I can sort of understand why the ABQ Airport Sheraton checks me in and tells me thanks for being a plat but all rooms on the club floor are already given out without any attempt to prioritize. Maybe that's a computer thing.

But the bulk of post 8/18 complaints by legacy SPG folks are talking about other treatment at the hotel -- maybe no one is getting suites, legacy SPG properties in the pacific don't like the award rules so they create a very limited "standard" room category. Those are decisions being made at the hotel by the hotel GM. That hotel GM decides whether they use the list of plat premiers to make sure they get prioritized and whether to train staff (the nice woman at the FD in the ABQ Sheraton didn't know what Plat Premier was ... she said she heard their were some changes). In any event, these aren't Marriott decisions made at a corporate level, they are made at the hotel. But ... I guessed the connecting room fee was an SPG thing Just like at the GCM Westin or the Seoul Westin. But ... I can't say what a particular Marriott would or wouldn't charge.

Ultimately, an engaged GM treats elites well to drive repeat business. I have a poor suite upgrade rate at SPG properties this year (3 for 23 stays) and a great suite upgrade rate at MR properties of 40 percent. (I think its good based on my travels which aren't always to major cities with lots of suite options). Neither of those have changed after 8/18 but part of that is because I've learned which MR hotels will upgrade me from experience and FT and haven't figured out which SPG properties to avoid. So perhaps instead of blaming the program, we can all share info about hotels so we know which ones to reward and which ones to avoid.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And why are legacy Marriott properties doing such a better job with service and recognition, the same as they always have?
LOL that's a funny one
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.