Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 3:58 pm

It would be worth the extra $10 annual fee for me, if I didn’t need those nights.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:01 am

Checked this AM, and still nothing posted.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:57 am

Finally!
And the correct amount , too.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:50 am

Mine just posted as well
Old May 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
My May nights (based on a statement cutoff of 5/4/19) posted this morning. They normally post at or about the same time as the credit card points do (usually around the 7th of each month.)

If you're keeping track of your own Marriott classic card spend, keep in mind that it is based off statement closing dates. For example, my statement closes on or about the 4th of each month. So elite night credits posting in January 2019 are based off of mostly December 2018 spend (based on my January 4, 2019 statement date).

And it's a rolling $3,000 spend --- which isn't impacted by calendar year cutoffs. Every $3,000 of spend gets an elite night. Only Chase is keeping track of the actual calculation (it would be better if there were more transparency involved, but there isn't.)

So if you have "too many nights" by just looking at your calendar 2019 spend, it's not an error --- you're just failing to take into account the spend from the prior year that hit the $3,000 benchmark for an elite night in the current year. Only if your statement cuts off as of the last day of each month will you have an easy task of tracking elite nights based on the $3,000 spend.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
If you're keeping track of your own Marriott classic card spend, keep in mind that it is based off statement closing dates
No, it isn't. It is based off the first of the month to the last day of the month and runs independent of your statement. Since your statement closes on the 4th, if you had a 9000 purchase on the 2nd the 3 credits would post in the following month.
damon88 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by swintec
No, it isn't. It is based off the first of the month to the last day of the month and runs independent of your statement. Since your statement closes on the 4th, if you had a 9000 purchase on the 2nd the 3 credits would post in the following month.
Not so, but if you choose to believe that go ahead. I've held the credit card for years and it's a rolling $3,000 for each elite night. Holders of the credit card get an elite night for each $3,000 spent on the card, not measured on any time limit whatsoever. Feel free to contact Chase and speak with a supervisor.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Not so, but if you choose to believe that go ahead. I've held the credit card for years and it's a rolling $3,000 for each elite night. Holders of the credit card get an elite night for each $3,000 spent on the card, not measured on any time limit whatsoever. Feel free to contact Chase and speak with a supervisor.

Except the phone agents DON’T KNOW

The Chase Twitter/Facebook Team finally explained to me in April that it is definitely based on our spending from the 1st to the last day of the month and NOT our statement dates— see screenshot

FWIW my April nights just posted and for the first time ever exactly matched my spend for April 1-30. For months I had been calling and asking them to explain why my nights didn’t correlate to my statement spend and the phone agents were all clueless

See explanation from Chase
Old May 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

That isnt at all what i was talking about. If you do not spend over $3k per month on a regular basis I suppose you would not notice but if you did, you could easily see that spending matches up with calendar months, not statement period. I also confirmed with chase....like 8 years ago.
damon88 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swintec
That isnt at all what i was talking about. If you do not spend over $3k per month on a regular basis I suppose you would not notice but if you did, you could easily see that spending matches up with calendar months, not statement period. I also confirmed with chase....like 8 years ago.
When I messaged Chase on April 9th I was so confused because if it was based on the statement period as Chase had been advising me I was missing several nights. After it was explained to me I was very interested to see my nights for April 1-30. Sure enough the correct number posted. Why they didn’t post until 5/21 is another story, but I am happy that the calculation finally makes sense.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My nights also posted. They reflect a rolling total, including a portion of my previous charge on this card, made in October 2018. If the nights were based solely on April spend, I would have received one less night.

I don't think the reps know how it works, either.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:44 am
SPG 5+ Badge

I believe it is a rolling total. So (assuming no prior uncredited spend) if one had $1500 spend between March 1 and March 31 there would be no Elite night credit. And then if one had $1500 between April 1 and April 30 there would be an accrued $3000 resulting in one night.

But what the agent explained was that if (using this example) your statement end date was May 3rd and on your statement you had a $3000 charge on May 2nd you would not get that night until after May 31st.

Why Chase has chosen to go with this system instead of one where each statement would clearly list Elite nights earned is beyond me, but I am still grateful we have this option to earn extra nights.

Old May 22, 2019, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
My April nights just posted as well, so looks like whatever log jam there was has cleared.

I also just took the upgrade offer for a one time 15 elite night bonus so now I will no longer have to worry about the $3k/night posting. I took the offer because I figure at some point in the next 18 months they are just going to take the $3K/night benefit away unilaterally. i know Chase has been good about keeping benefits in place, but seems like either Marriott or Chase really doesn't like the $3K/night benefit (i have received 5 upgrade emails) so I figure it is not long for this world and I might as well get 15 nights while I can!. I guess only time will tell if this was a good move or not!
Old May 22, 2019, 9:17 am

Yep mine came through this morning too. 6 weeks late but completely caught up now so no complaints here.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Bonvoy Visa signup bonus - when does it post?

I completed the spend requirement on my Bonvoy Visa (and the charges posted) several days ago. The statement will be issued on June 2nd. When should I expect the bonus 100K points to post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.