Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
I never received any offer after the initial 10K one, but when I called in December and asked, they said I had the 50K offer. So it's worth a phone call, you never know.
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Called and was told the $200 statement credit is his offer, period. I mentioned my 50,000 pts offer and they said his offer is the $200 statement credit.
Anyone who wanted the 50k offer had to call by early (maybe mid?) December. The 50k offer required one purchase before Dec 31. So it was clear that this specific offer wouldn't last past the end of 2018 (because at the very least the spend deadline would have to change). What wasn't clear at the time was whether there would be other offers after that and (if so) what they would be.

Obviously, now it's a $ credit offer instead of a points offer, and it requires an amount spend rather than 1 purchase. Since back in Nov/Dec everyone who called got the same offer (50k), I would presume that today everyone who calls gets the same offer, but today the offer is the $200 statement credit after spend, rather than 50k after 1 purchase.

So if you don't like the current offer, I don't the solution is to call, I think the solution is to wait (and see if another offer you prefer comes up later).

But definitely make a habit of following all the FT threads about this card (both here and in the Chase forum) so that you don't miss out on any offers that might appear in the future.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Anyone who wanted the 50k offer had to call by early (maybe mid?) December. The 50k offer required one purchase before Dec 31. So it was clear that this specific offer wouldn't last past the end of 2018 (because at the very least the spend deadline would have to change). What wasn't clear at the time was whether there would be other offers after that and (if so) what they would be.

Obviously, now it's a $ credit offer instead of a points offer, and it requires an amount spend rather than 1 purchase. Since back in Nov/Dec everyone who called got the same offer (50k), I would presume that today everyone who calls gets the same offer, but today the offer is the $200 statement credit after spend, rather than 50k after 1 purchase.

So if you don't like the current offer, I don't the solution is to call, I think the solution is to wait (and see if another offer you prefer comes up later).

But definitely make a habit of following all the FT threads about this card (both here and in the Chase forum) so that you don't miss out on any offers that might appear in the future.
Back in November when I got my 50K offer my husband called and asked about one for him (his was just 10K) and even then they said "no". So we have been following these threads and asking as the offers have been reported. Just don't know why he's on the SL with them, we use the cards about equally and he had his longer than me.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Just received an offer of 15 additional elite night credits if I upgrade and spend $3000 by June 30. I'm considering it. If I decide to go ahead I will of course call and verify that this 15 nights would be on top of the 15 I already got (along with everyone else) just recently.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Just received an offer of 15 additional elite night credits if I upgrade and spend $3000 by June 30. I'm considering it. If I decide to go ahead I will of course call and verify that this 15 nights would be on top of the 15 I already got (along with everyone else) just recently.
I got a similar offer today. Yes, it appears to be an additional15 night offer.

For me it's more a question of is the upgrade to a Cat 5 cert worth $10 and outside chance an the 75 night SNA/cert.
Or will something better come along in a few months.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ackpfft
I got a similar offer today. Yes, it appears to be an additional15 night offer.

For me it's more a question of is the upgrade to a Cat 5 cert worth $10 and outside chance an the 75 night SNA/cert.
Or will something better come along in a few months.
My husband got the same offer. But without any multi-thousand point sign-up bonus, and having to wait a full year for the free night, he took a pass.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:10 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I would also point out that by "upgrading" you lose the 1 elite night per $3000 spend going forward ...

---
15 Elite Night Credits every
year after your card
anniversary3

Plus, an additional 15 Elite
Night Credits after you
upgrade and spend $3,000
by 6/30/19
--- vs ---
15 credits towards
Elite membership every year
after account anniversary

1 credit towards Elite Status
for every $3,000 in spend
---
Read the fine print!
dgreen12 and C17PSGR like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by stc
I would also point out that by "upgrading" you lose the 1 elite night per $3000 spend going forward ...
Read the fine print!
I got the same offer. I like the 1 elite night/$3000 spend benefit but I am wondering at what point Chase will either just forcibly convert all the legacy card holders over to the new Bonvoy card or alternatively eliminate the 1 night/$3K spend on the legacy card (which I believe they can do at any time). Seems like the card companies change benefits on existing cards all the time. So far Chase is using carrots to get people to convert, but I wonder if/when they will use a stick. Does anyone know how this kind of a transition has typically been managed in the past in similar situations?

I ask because if I am going to be forcibly moved to the new card in a year or two or if Chase is just going to eliminate the 1 elite/$3K spend benefit on my existing card, I figure I might as well take the 15 free night offer now and at least get something for "upgrading" as opposed to just be being forcibly upgraded or having the benefit eliminated on the legacy card at some point in the near future.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Have people been getting the 1 night elite credit per $3k spend? I had a bunch of spend in early April; the points posted 3+ weeks ago, but the nights have not.

Am considering the upgrade offer for 15 more elite nights, particularly if it's going to be a hassle to get the spend based credits.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have people been getting the 1 night elite credit per $3k spend? I had a bunch of spend in early April; the points posted 3+ weeks ago, but the nights have not.

Am considering the upgrade offer for 15 more elite nights, particularly if it's going to be a hassle to get the spend based credits.
I am in the same boat. I have been waiting for nights to post for spend and then plan on taking the upgrade offer as soon as they post, but so far no nights have posted for the last billing cycle. I think the last time I received the $3K/night credit was early March.

I am taking the upgrade offer of 15 nights because I figure there's a reasonable chance they just eliminate the $3K/night benefit at some point in the near future.

I am wondering if I should just take the upgrade offer and then fight for the nights that should have been posted under the old terms but I figure that will take a fighting with customer service and I'd rather just have them posted automatically.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I am taking the upgrade offer of 15 nights because I figure there's a reasonable chance they just eliminate the $3K/night benefit at some point in the near future.
Same here. While Chase has historically been very good about recognizing existing benefits on legacy cards, they may be getting pressure from Marriott on this one.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:46 pm

In the same boat, as I've been waiting 8+ weeks for 2 more nights via $3k spend. But I haven't gotten a comparable upgrade offer, only a $200 statement credit offer that expired in March. However, I got an email that said this on April 25th: "15 Elite Night Credits have been added to your Marriott Bonvoy member account. As one of your Card Member benefits, 15 Elite Night Credits have been added to your account. You’ll continue to receive this benefit each calendar year as long as your Card remains active. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Bonvoy™ member account. Terms apply."

My regular 15 nights dropped in Jan/Feb, and nothing has happened in the two weeks since I got this. Anybody else seen anything like this?
Old May 9, 2019, 8:40 pm

So do we complain to Chase or Marriott about the missing elite nights?
Old May 9, 2019, 8:57 pm

elite nights from CC spend from the previous month do not post until around the 10th of the following month. so either overnight tonight, maybe this weekend or more likely, monday time frame. its to early to worry about it yet.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:50 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat

I have 21 Credit Card nights this year. So, at least some of those had to come from 1 per $3k spend.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:01 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swintec
elite nights from CC spend from the previous month do not post until around the 10th of the following month. so either overnight tonight, maybe this weekend or more likely, monday time frame. its to early to worry about it yet.

I didn’t pay close attention last year but they seemed to post regularly. They do seem to be posting later now. Chase told me they sent the nights over on 5/6.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.