Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband received a card in the mail offering 20K Marriott points if he upgraded his Marriott Rewards card. He would get an annual 35K points free night as opposed to 25K and his annual fee would rise just $10. It made sense to me so I used the link (marriottrewards.com/upgrade) to accept the offer. Imagine my surprise when the offer popped up as 50K points. He has to make a single purchase by Dec 31 2018 to get the points.
Yeah, DoC (updated post here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...-30000-points/) reported that they increased the offer for many people. This prompted me to review and accept the upgrade.

I was considering waiting until my anniversary in Feb (coinciding with my drop below 5/24), canceling, and getting the bonus as a new account. But between wanting to pick up the Amex Gold and getting the decent upgrade offer, I went with the upgrade instead.

As an aside, any data points on when the upgrade bonus posts? I believe new card bonuses usually post at statement close. Wondering if this is the same mechanism.

Last edited by Aero137; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:17 pm Reason: added citation
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Me too! After no less than at least 5 offers of only 10,000 bonus points, FINALLY got the decent offer of 50,000 - yes!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Wow if they would’ve offered that initially I probably would’ve taken it. Instead I canceled and am holding out to see if they offer 100k again for new signups
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Me too! After no less than at least 5 offers of only 10,000 bonus points, FINALLY got the decent offer of 50,000 - yes!
I was offered 20k a few times and had been holding off, but I just got the email for 50k, I'll definitely be taking this one.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Pingtung
I was offered 20k a few times and had been holding off, but I just got the email for 50k, I'll definitely be taking this one.
Same, but I'm going to wait until my renewal hits in Dec to get the 15 nights.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LF72
Same, but I'm going to wait until my renewal hits in Dec to get the 15 nights.
I assumed those were provided on a calendar year basis, not by anniversary date.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aero137
I assumed those were provided on a calendar year basis, not by anniversary date.
They are next year. I received mine back in Sep for my business card.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I got the 50K upgrade offer as well. My anniversary is in May and that's when I last received the free night cert (for up to 25K) and the 15 elite nights credit. If I take this offer, when would I now get my 15 elite nights (not that I need them since I am now LTPP) and the free night cert (up to 35K)? Would it still be in May 2019 or would that now be in Oct/Nov 2019?

Also, how is the annual fee charged? Do I get a prorated refund for the $85 that I paid in May and then the full $95 is charged or do I get charged in May?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Has anyone had the 15 nights post? Minimal spend completed, 100K point posted, but no qualifying nights.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have not gotten 15 nights credit (my renewal was October). I upgraded card a few months ago and thought/ realized after I upgraded I would not get free night and 15 nights. I did get free night, however. BUt not sure about 15 nights. Would like 15 nights only because I am set for 74 nights this year and would like to cross 75 to get the free annual night choice.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:40 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Why would you not get the 15?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:44 am

I thought I read somewhere on here that if you take the upgrade you would lose the free night and 15 nights... but in return would go from 1 point to 2 points per dollar spend and the upgrade bonus. I did not realize this when I upgraded originally but I saw a thread here where someone said we would lose those benefits. But after getting free night certificate I am not sure what to expect anymore. When I emailed Chase CS they did not respond on whether I would get.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:53 am

I just looked on Chase site and found thisQ17:When will my 15 Elite Credits be in my account if I upgrade to the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card?A:Starting in 2019, you will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits per year, regardless of the number of Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card products you have. These will be credited into one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts on or before March 1 annually.Same page link to Footnotes1

So perhaps regardless of when our account renewal is we will get 15 nights capped in 2019? ANd perhaps no credit in 2018 whatsoever? I opened the card in 2017 October but never got 15 nights for 2017, thought I would get for 2018 but not so sure anymore. I have SPG Amex Lux so I guess I will get 15 nights capped from both cards...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:31 am

help with marriott anniversary free night

I give up, I have been trying to find out the answer to this question for 3 weeks now and have gotten 3 different answers. My anniversary date for my free night award for my chase marriott premier card was in February. This past October I upgraded to premier plus. I'm trying to find out in the upcoming years in which month will I receive my anniversary free night award. I have been told by assortment of both chase and marriott reps different answers, February, October, and and few have told me I will be billed in October by given the award in February. Any answers?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlricci
I give up, I have been trying to find out the answer to this question for 3 weeks now and have gotten 3 different answers. My anniversary date for my free night award for my chase marriott premier card was in February. This past October I upgraded to premier plus. I'm trying to find out in the upcoming years in which month will I receive my anniversary free night award. I have been told by assortment of both chase and marriott reps different answers, February, October, and and few have told me I will be billed in October by given the award in February. Any answers?
I'd say expect it to be one year after your upgrade, and be happy if you happen to get it earlier. The 50k points you're presumably getting for the upgrade are worth more than a fraction of a year's delay in getting a 35k cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.