Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
The website for the card clearly shows you will still get 1 elite night per $3k for the Premier credit card (but not premier plus). I tried to copy/paste it here but the stupid website won't let me. I think the "on or before March 1" language is meant to imply you cannot get 15 nights from the Marriott card PLUS 15 (or whatever) nights from ANOTHER credit card.

Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Not to be difficult but absent the 1 elite night per $3k, there's no reason not to switch cards. Of course, the Premier Plus 10k bonus is not worth doing.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:00 pm

It looks like Trip Cancellation coverage has been removed from the new card. Not sure how easy it is to actually use it though...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sleepycider
It looks like Trip Cancellation coverage has been removed from the new card. Not sure how easy it is to actually use it though...
I believe that's a change across all Chase cards.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
PR Spin, Do you think we are stupid

Got an email from Marriot regarding the new merged loyalty programs with the titleYour Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card has updated benefits

The text that stood out for me was

Also, beginning January 1, 2019, if you have more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card, you will only receive a total of one 15 Elite Night Credits benefit per calendar year, which will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts.

And then just below

We hope you enjoy all the updated benefits of your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. If you have questions, please call us anytime at the number on the back of your Card.

But they also snuck this one in: Beginning August 1, 2018, the Free Night Award you receive every year after account anniversary, will be valid for a one-night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points. This replaces the category 1-5 certificate you previously earned each account anniversary.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
That's the same value as the current certificate. 25K points is a Cat 5 and the new Cat 4. Not surprised-unless I am missing something. I just have to go to China to use it at RC and StR now!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
...Beginning August 1, 2018, the Free Night Award you receive every year after account anniversary, will be valid for a one-night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points. This replaces the category 1-5 certificate you previously earned each account anniversary.
This has been known for awhile and is why many people are switching to the new card which has a free night worth 35K points instead. There is a thread on the number of points available for switching to the new card.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sleepycider
Where do you see that? I still saw it on what I could find, but again may not have been updated.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
That's the same value as the current certificate. 25K points is a Cat 5 and the new Cat 4. Not surprised-unless I am missing something. I just have to go to China to use it at RC and StR now!
I just received a similar mailing from the Canadian Amex SPG Credit card. We will now get TWO Marriott Points in the new program for each $1 spent! lol However, the annual free WEEKEND night award is changing to a free night award at any property with a point value up to 35K; the new Category 5.

James
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:16 pm

Existing discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...e-card-96.html
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
This has been known for awhile and is why many people are switching to the new card which has a free night worth 35K points instead. There is a thread on the number of points available for switching to the new card.
I just looked at the new card with Chase. A link to convert my existing card. Easy to fill out form...then it said "sorry no offer for you".
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I just looked at the new card with Chase. A link to convert my existing card. Easy to fill out form...then it said "sorry no offer for you".
My offer was only 10K points - not enough to tempt me - but some people got larger offers. I'm sticking with the legacy card for the elite night credit for the $3000 spend;** when they announce that is going away, that will be a different story.

**Unless they give me credit for 10 years of gold/plat elite, in which case I will no longer care about night credits and I'll switch for the 35K point annual free night.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
My offer was only 10K points - not enough to tempt me - but some people got larger offers. I'm sticking with the legacy card for the elite night credit for the $3000 spend;** when they announce that is going away, that will be a different story.

**Unless they give me credit for 10 years of gold/plat elite, in which case I will no longer care about night credits and I'll switch for the 35K point annual free night.
I have a SPG AMEX Card. The benefits in August will be identical to those of the new Chase Marriott Plus Card. So once I achieve LTP next year, I will cancel this MR Premier Card. There won’t be much value to me compared with the SPG Card.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Jjfab
I think the last change addresses the elite night credits. It clearly says there is a limit to 15 nights elite credit per account. Any credit card provided that yearly so no additional credits are possible based on spend
it doesnt mean that at all. there is a footnote for that point and that addresses those who have multiple cards that give yearly elite credits. this was mentioned since the new program first was announced in april. marriott accounts are only going to receive one yearly bonus going forward. none of the wording addresses the 1 night / $3k spending which stands to reason it will stick around until it is formally canceled. i have to imagine that feature is such a drop in the bucket in the long run it probably isnt worth ruffling the feathers of those card holders.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I'm in exactly the same boat. Hoping I have the 10 years@50 nights (think I do). But for me, I would probably just cancel the card and use another as my primary. I haven't looked into it much yet to determine which one. I mainly had the card to accumulate points toward LT status under the old (current) program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.