Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This discussion thread is focused on the "classic" (or "old") Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card issued by Chase (a black metal card) that is currently closed to new applicants. The classic card provides one elite night credit for every $3,000 of spend, an annual free night certificate (which may be used at Category 1-4 hotels), and 15 elite night credits annually.

The discussion thread on the "current" Marriott Premier Plus Visa Card (a/k/a Chase Marriott Bonvoy Visa Card) may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

There is also a discussion thread in the Chase credit card forum on the Marriott cards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2016-a.html. Note that this Chase forum discussion thread has posts on both the classic and current cards (which have slightly different benefits.)
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As a data point, I'm still getting the 1 night per 3000 spend credit. I don't normally notice it but with my night count so low this time of year, I noticed it just posted.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:52 pm

I have 2 Marriott visas (bus and premier plus) and 3 SPG AMEXs (bus, lux, standard). Considering canceling all when the annual fee occurs and only keeping the premier plus.

Now that the elite nights no longer stack, the annual certs don't seem to pay off for me.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just called Chase to see if they would allow me to renew my Premier card a few months early to avoid being "Bonvoyed" for as long as possible. Unfortunately they said no.

David
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I got a decent 50,000 upgrade bonus a couple of months ago to go from the regular card to the Premier. Well worth the extra $10.

My husband has never gotten more than a 10,000 upgrade offer, and today he got a worse one - a $200 statement credit for spending $3,000. Really? Anyone gotten any decent upgrade offers lately?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:45 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I got a decent 50,000 upgrade bonus a couple of months ago to go from the regular card to the Premier. Well worth the extra $10.

My husband has never gotten more than a 10,000 upgrade offer, and today he got a worse one - a $200 statement credit for spending $3,000. Really? Anyone gotten any decent upgrade offers lately?
Interesting. I thought the 50K bonus was a blanket offer to all of those who haven't made the switch to do so (I don't really see as an upgrade). I am surprised some didn't even get the offer.

LAX
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

I never received any offer after the initial 10K one, but when I called in December and asked, they said I had the 50K offer. So it's worth a phone call, you never know.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:56 am

To me, the 1night per $3000 is more important than bonus points for a new card. I need to make at least a minimum of Platinum for 3 more years to make Lifetime Platinum, after that, I may consider another card.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by swag
I never received any offer after the initial 10K one, but when I called in December and asked, they said I had the 50K offer. So it's worth a phone call, you never know.
Called and was told the $200 statement credit is his offer, period. I mentioned my 50,000 pts offer and they said his offer is the $200 statement credit.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Are these cards really competitive? 2pts/$ with no bonus categories outside of Marriott stays seems pretty weak.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Called and was told the $200 statement credit is his offer, period. I mentioned my 50,000 pts offer and they said his offer is the $200 statement credit.
Ditto (though it was my husband who got 50K a few months back). I only got $200 offer today, and a few months back, was only offered 10K. I would upgrade and keep if I got 50K points. I will hold and cancel at the renewal time if not. I'm finding it difficult to use the 25K certs. I had a hotel where it would have been a terrific use (Renaissance in Tuscany, Italy) but award nights were never available for the nights we will be in house.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Are these cards really competitive? 2pts/$ with no bonus categories outside of Marriott stays seems pretty weak.
The free certificates to me are worth more than the annual fee, and the new upgraded card does give you 2x points on everything.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

The free certificates to me are worth more than the annual fee, and the new upgraded card does give you 2x points on everything.
Of course, I used to get 3X points on everything. I hardly ever pull the SPG card out of my wallet now vs. Chase freedoms/sapphire preferred or Hilton Ascend.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
That depends on how you use the points...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
That depends on how you use the points...
Isn't that pretty much true of every loyalty points scheme though? I mean I can book the Hilton Times square on December 31 for 80,000 points instead of $1600+ right now, but that doesn't mean I should value Hilton points at 2 cents each. I general, what makes my spending on 2x points on this card better than the other choices that are out there? The only reason I have kept the SPG AMEx to this point is the free certificate, but I hardly ever spend on it. I am trying to see if I am missing anything.
LF72 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:31 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Isn't that pretty much true of every loyalty points scheme though? I mean I can book the Hilton Times square on December 31 for 80,000 points instead of $1600+ right now, but that doesn't mean I should value Hilton points at 2 cents each. I general, what makes my spending on 2x points on this card better than the other choices that are out there? The only reason I have kept the SPG AMEx to this point is the free certificate, but I hardly ever spend on it. I am trying to see if I am missing anything.
I stay a lot with Marriott so for me I get 23.5 points per dollar for hotel spend. I figure if I throw in a few extra Non-Marriott items along the way it will all balance out. My everyday spend is usually split between 2 other cards, and depending on where I want to go and what I want to do I spend accordingly. I would value the points at 1 cent per point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.