FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Suite with points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1933552-suite-points.html)

Kree Oct 2, 2018 2:08 pm

Suite with points

I've heard it be said that some properties will allow you to reserve higher end rooms with points, for a premium. So if the property is 25,000 for a night, you could get a suite for 30,000 or 35,000

But after months of looking, I've yet to find a single property anywhere that allows this.

At this moment I'm starting to assume I was misinformed, but I thought I would come ask the experts.

Kacee Oct 2, 2018 2:16 pm

Yes it happens. I've booked a suite at the Essex House on points. I frequently see the RC San Francisco offering suites on points.

Hawes7701 Oct 2, 2018 2:22 pm

I booked the standard 1 bedroom suite at the Marriott north wharf in Cape Town and then upgraded to the two bedroom suite for about 300 rand per night.

Unfortunately I can’t confirm if it could have been done with points as it was so cheap to pay cash I didn’t even ask. But the fact is, you can upgrade a standard room paid for with points.

pinniped Oct 2, 2018 2:23 pm

Very property-specific, but I've done it a few times over the years. Usually a cash upgrade in my experience, but I have seen references to an option to use upgrade certificates (which I guess is just 5,000 point increments).

Marriott15 Oct 3, 2018 12:57 am

Charleston, South Carolina Marriott you can upgrade to concierge level, junior suite and studio suite!

Kree Oct 3, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks all for the replies. I will keep looking as I continue forward with my Marriott journey.

damon88 Oct 3, 2018 10:35 am

My experience booking suites with points was always on the SPG side and it was simple and straightforward- a junior suite was often available as a Specialty Select booking for only 1500 additional points. That was something I loved about the program. Regular Suites were usually available for double the points.

I have not had a chance to try booking suites with points since the programs combined. My son however was just successful booking a Specialty Suite at the W Scottsdale on a points booking. It was only available as an Ambassador request through the hotel and required that he use the regular points plus cash for the Specialty Suite.

MTJ Bound Feb 3, 2019 12:58 am

I’m seeing some suite options showing online? Does this mean that if there aren’t options online, they aren’t available or is this a brand/hotel-specific enhancement?

Raffles Feb 3, 2019 5:11 am

Far more likely that you will see suites for a small co-pay on top of the standard points. We have done this Venice a few times at the JW.

hhoope01 Feb 3, 2019 7:07 am

Marriott does not require hotels to offer upgraded award rooms. I tend to see them more at hotels that actually have a larger selection of upgrades (i.e. resorts, etc.). Now whether the upgrade is cash on top of the base award or extra points it seems to be all over the map. I sometimes see cash only options, but I've also seen points only options and both options (which I think I see the most often.)

I do wonder though if hotels, when they do offer upgrades, offer a set number of both points and cash options. I just completed a stay at the JW Cancun and when I first made my reservations, I saw upgrades for both extra points or cash. But after a bit of time had passed, the points option disappeared leaving only the cash upgrade option. So I wonder if all the "points" upgrades were taken leaving only the cash upgrades available?

Dr. HFH Feb 3, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Kree (Post 30274113)
Thanks all for the replies. I will keep looking as I continue forward with my Marriott journey.

Try calling the property you want to book.