Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott CEO Asks Unhappy Members To Hold Tight, Platform Is Stabilized

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
A singing telegram! O'Marrott, O'Marriott, how we wish you never bought Starwood ...
All together now:

O'Marriott, O'Marriott
How we wish you never bought Starwood.....
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Bring back 10 elite nights for each 1-hour meeting!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I am still missing one of my reservations from my Starwood account. They assure me it is there, I just can’t see it on the Marriott app. And it’s part of my honeymoon so no sweat, right?

I am uncertain what my lifetime status should be. No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by techgirl
I am still missing one of my reservations from my Starwood account. They assure me it is there, I just can’t see it on the Marriott app. And it’s part of my honeymoon so no sweat, right?

I am uncertain what my lifetime status should be. No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer.
I'm also missing one of my reservations from my Starwood account. I can access it by reservation number but it does not show up in "My Trips". I believe that is my only issue at the moment.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
All together now:

O'Marriott, O'Marriott
How we wish you never bought Starwood.....
would anbang bought starwood instead?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Marriott International President and CEO Arne Sorenson was in the back row of an early-morning shuttle from New York to Boston in early August when he found himself in the middle of a debate. Also on the flight was the writer of an article for Bloomberg Businessweek about how the Marriott-Starwood merger was creating fear in points-obsessed travelers. As it turned out, actual points-obsessed travelers were there too.
If I were on that plane, I would have been respectful, but given him an earful and asked him why he lied about SPG, why the Book of Mormon in rooms, why gross Pepsi, and what the hell was he thinking when walking away from Starwood's far superior website and mobile apps. He clearly lives in a bubble so deserves to be (respectfully) shamed in public for actions he has taken against his 'overly passionate' customers.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
what the hell was he thinking when walking away from Starwood's far superior website and mobile apps.
Not only the website and mobile apps but even the property management system (PMS). Even PM-SPG employees don't understand why Marriott didn't go with Starwood's newer PMS instead of the Marriott's PMS which is over 40 years old.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Not only the website and mobile apps but even the property management system (PMS). Even PM-SPG employees don't understand why Marriott didn't go with Starwood's newer PMS instead of the Marriott's PMS which is over 40 years old.
I don't know anything about either system but I'd be willing to wager a wooden nickel that the Marriott PMS is cheaper.
itsaboutthejourney and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I was talking to a manager at the front desk of a Sheraton recently, who asked me how I thought the merger was going. I said I didn't like it, and he said the same -- that the Marriott system is far inferior to the SPG system. It sounded like he had been told that it would be easier to convert ~1,200 Starwood hotels to the Marriott system than to convert ~4,000 Marriott hotels to the Starwood system. Penny wise pound foolish.
nexusCFX and kaizen7 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:30 pm

My office has primarily booked Marriott properties over the past 10 years for a variety of reasons, usually location & consistency of the properties. From a Marriott-centric customer, this transition has been dreadful. When I've got an exec breathing down my neck, wanting to know where they're staying tomorrow, and they want to know NOW, if Marriott.com is down, I'm booking Hyatt/Hilton/IHG. Waiting 40+ minutes on Marriott's 800# isn't an option. I've booked more non-Marriott nights for our office this year than I have in the past 10 years. Worse for Marriott, this has been a record year for hotel stays/nights/expenditures for our office.

Even before the transition, Marriott's website and customer service had been declining. Over the past 12 months this decline has just accelerated, with customer (dis)service being unreachable and often unhelpful when we are able to reach them. Their website's gotten progressively worse in loss of functionality, worse UI, and reliability in that time, and that's BEFORE the merger.

Having done some brief Googling, it seems that Marriott's IT department has been trying to decommission MARSHA and go to an Open-Source platform...with one of the main reasons stated as being low/no cost software. I have no problem with open source software -- the entire back-end off my office runs on open source software and platforms. BUT, the axiom still holds true: Fast, Cheap, Better. Pick two. I suspect Marriott tried to pick all three and bit off more than they could chew, which explains the problems we saw with the Marriott systems over the past 24 months. To add insult to injury, they added the merger to this already unstable mess.

The real crime has been the complete lack of communication/acknowledgement from Marriott about problems. I've even spoken with some of the higher-level customer service people and they sound surprised when I tell them about problems I'm having. They've been pleasant to talk with, BUT seem powerless to change anything or relay up to the execs just how bad things are.
EuropeanPete, CO-PLAT and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by X-ON
Is this guy for real 1M+ to obtain a stable system? Just think this would have been bank, credit card or manged private bank accounts instead?.... Truly a low bar on ETA and expected functionality...This merger have been mismanaged not only on the IT front. As an example look how MAR changed the T&C for SPG brg without ensuring that the legacy SPG team employed the same practice as their MR counter parts. There seems to be a very low or totally missing emphasis on details. A lot of general mangers making crucial decisions with no knowledge of the core problems...Amateur Hour ..
In my opinion their strategy is wrong. What they should have done is something like this
1. They should issue a 9 digit numbers (aka new Marriott account) prior to 18-Aug.
2. From 18-Aug, all stay posting should go to 9 digits number, aka there is no more posting into SPG accounts.
This will make it clean on what they need to migrate from SPG into MR is only up to 17-Aug

I do not see why technically the existing MR members should get impacted.

I think the choice of 18-Aug-2018 (18.08.2018) is probably not a good number for them
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
8s are a lucky number in China... I would not be surprised if someone chose that date as a nod to growth in China without thinking through if they were ready to go.

Half of their CS issues would never have existed if they just did integration on Jan 1. I bet more than 50% of CS questions have to deal w status and stuff wrought about by changes
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kaizen7

would anbang bought starwood instead?
sounds like a much worse option
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Marriott lost $3,000 of my hotel bookings that went to other hotel brands during the mess that was the transition because I could not trust that they would fix the wrong status (PP vs PPE).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
8s are a lucky number in China... I would not be surprised if someone chose that date as a nod to growth in China without thinking through if they were ready to go.

Half of their CS issues would never have existed if they just did integration on Jan 1. I bet more than 50% of CS questions have to deal w status and stuff wrought about by changes
I highly doubt that is the reason they cutover on 8/18/2018. It was probably it is a weekend and they needed to meet some Q3 targets and accommodate promotion periods....

I have a few problems but the least of my worry was the initial incorrect status. Maybe they are targeting 4 months to clean things up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.