Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott not a "FedRooms" provider

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, United, Star Alliance, Delta, Enterprise, Dollar, American
Question Marriott not a "FedRooms" provider

I'm a US Gov't employee, and the Government is now getting much more insistent in us staying only in FedRooms. For some reason, Marriott isn't included in their hotels (IHG, Hilton, etc all are). Anyone know why this is?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Their cancellation policy. Few if any Marriotts allow same day before 4pm cancellation which is a requirement to be in Fedrooms.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just look on the FedRooms website and you will see why there are multiple reasons for Marriott not to want to participate. Not the least of this is the cancellation policy which is incompatible with the current competetive landscape, but also effectively lets GSA set the rates because GSA sets the per diem. If Marriott wanted to be a government agency, it would sell to GSA. But, it doesn't.

In order to be considered into the FedRooms program, your property must meet our program requirements:
  • FEMA certified and ADA compliant
  • Competitive rate at or below per diem
  • Cancellation policy of 4 p.m. day or arrival or later (domestic) and no more than 24 hours (international)
  • At least 2 crowns
  • No deposit or early departure fees
  • Monthly production reporting and payment
  • Book FedRooms rate when requested
  • Compliance with all terms and conditions
  • Complimentary guest room internet
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, United, Star Alliance, Delta, Enterprise, Dollar, American
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I wonder if it is a good business decision for Marriott. My agency has well over 50,000 employees. Many of whom travel. I put in about 75 to 100 nights a year. Too bad. Looks like I'll have to switch to Hilton.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, govflyer!

Originally Posted by govflyer
I wonder if it is a good business decision for Marriott.
Yes, it is. Why sell rooms for half what you can get on the open market? They still fill their rooms.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Were that the case, I would agree with you. My experience is that government per diem rates are only marginally less than the regular rates. About 10% of the time, they are actually higher than advertised rates. Of course the cancellation policy, free wifi, etc are perks that cost some money.
KRSW and Dalewood like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have a friend who works for a limited-service property. I'm not sure what FedRooms is, but I know his property offers gov't rates of $111/night, when rack rates are much higher. One of the things he & I were talking about recently is that often they get someone who books the gov't rate on the weekends for 2-3 rooms (and they know it's really for a softball tournament or something). The property asks for gov't ID & usually the person can provide it & assumes it will cover all rooms, but it does raise the question of how many rooms by a single gov't employee can be booked & if the gov't is ok w/ its rate being used for softball tourneys, especially when rack rates are so much more.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:00 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I have a friend who works for a limited-service property. I'm not sure what FedRooms is, but I know his property offers gov't rates of $111/night, when rack rates are much higher. One of the things he & I were talking about recently is that often they get someone who books the gov't rate on the weekends for 2-3 rooms (and they know it's really for a softball tournament or something). The property asks for gov't ID & usually the person can provide it & assumes it will cover all rooms, but it does raise the question of how many rooms by a single gov't employee can be booked & if the gov't is ok w/ its rate being used for softball tourneys, especially when rack rates are so much more.

Cheers.
You can also expand the same argument to all corporate customers. For example, if a person works for google and then use the google room rate for a weekend softball tourneys while regular rates are so much more, then what? Property ask for ID and the person shows their google employee ID and everyone is cool.

Wasn't it also true if you belong to say CPA, and you use the association's corporate rate. The more member use it, the stronger the next round of negotiation the representative of CPA can be in getting even more advantageous rates?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I know his property offers gov't rates of $111/night, when rack rates are much higher.
Comparing to rack rates is specious. Nobody pays those.
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

I should have mentioned that Marriott/SPG have always offered Gov't rates. I've booked my stays at M/SPG properties for years. They still offer those rates at Gov't per diem prices.

It's just that now my agency is clamping down on only using FedRooms whereas before they only cared about getting the Gov't rate--FedRoom or not. Thus after years of staying at M/SPG, I now have to switch
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
"at least 2 crowns"?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
"at least 2 crowns"?
I have the same reaction. I wonder if that was a typo, and was supposed to be "2 stars".

"Day or arrival"? Need to talk with that intern.

Last edited by EdofFX; Sep 29, 2018 at 7:36 am Reason: To reflect better guess
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by govflyer
Thank you for your replies.

I should have mentioned that Marriott/SPG have always offered Gov't rates. I've booked my stays at M/SPG properties for years. They still offer those rates at Gov't per diem prices.

It's just that now my agency is clamping down on only using FedRooms whereas before they only cared about getting the Gov't rate--FedRoom or not. Thus after years of staying at M/SPG, I now have to switch
I'm curious about how your agency will be enforcing this new edict. Especially since my agency hasn't implemented the same.

If you have the option of booking a Marriott hotel at the same per-diem price as a FedRooms hotel what can your agency do about it? IMO it would be difficult to justify denying reimbursement when the cost is the same.

P.S. I'd like the last two thirds of my FT handle back please...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Our software now flags when a Fedroom is not used and requires an explanation. In addition a memo just went out saying that leadership will be now approving travel in addition to our immediate supervisor. In that memo it said we had to use a FedRoom and listed the advantages in doing so.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm curious about how your agency will be enforcing this new edict. Especially since my agency hasn't implemented the same.

If you have the option of booking a Marriott hotel at the same per-diem price as a FedRooms hotel what can your agency do about it? IMO it would be difficult to justify denying reimbursement when the cost is the same.

P.S. I'd like the last two thirds of my FT handle back please...
It is baked into the booking software now - it will display the FedRooms as the default. And when forced to use travel bookers and the official travel agency it is a lot of hassle to produce a memo justifying another booking channel even if it in the per-diem.

The enforcement of using those tools is several years old in my agency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.