Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Points Strategy For Country Club Member

Marriott Points Strategy For Country Club Member

Old Sep 28, 18, 7:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Marriott Points Strategy For Country Club Member

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from you all.

I just got the NEW Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card

It is the one with $450 fee. Gives $300 credit, free night and 6X points on Marriotts (main reason I got it).

I belong to a country club in Tampa area (initiation is $27k), monthly dues, etc. The hotel and all food/initiation fee, etc., is coded as Marriott points so I am getting 6x points for that. I read that Marriott Rewards® program members can earn up to 10 points per $1 spent at participating hotels.

I'm a little confused on how I would get both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need a Marriott Reward number, I am assuming, and to have the number put in for all our monthly food and drink bills?

Does anyone have any other strategies on how I could maximize points, knowing that I am at this Marriott a few days a week and it is currently coded at 6X points? Would love any advice!
Matt Newman is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 3:02 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
bump!!
Matt Newman is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 4:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,465
Originally Posted by Matt Newman View Post
I'm a little confused on how I would get both.
So am I.

P.S. There is no need to bump a thread after a mere eight hours.
UpgradeMe is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 7:25 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,205
Is your country club part of a Marriott hotel? I'm confused.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 11:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Florida
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is your country club part of a Marriott hotel? I'm confused.
I live in Tampa. The only CC I can think of that would match this would be the Vinoy in St. Petersburg, but I don't know any private clubs with a 27k initiation that would fit here under the OP's original post.
sig05 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 18, 12:22 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DEN
Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Posts: 336
Whatever country club it is, it sounds like the food and beverage is ringing up as of it were a Marriott restaurant. Unless things have changed with the merger, I though one had to charge to a room (ie actually stay in the hotel) to get MR points.

I personally had not thought of using the cc to get points at an affiliated restaurant when not staying at a hotel, so that's kind of clever.
goldenbear is offline  
Old Sep 29, 18, 7:43 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
Hey Sig, yes, it's the Vinoy $27k initiation fee for golf membership ....

Everything is ringing up as marriott charges.

I also have the chase sapphire reserve and it's registering as 3X points for that, even my dinners I charge to the card.

What I am not sure on is if I can get the additional 10x points since it gets codes as Marriott. The 6X points is coding properly.
Matt Newman is offline  
Old Sep 29, 18, 8:46 am
  #8  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,481
While I think Starwood had a means to get the extra "points" for say a meal at a hotel when you weren't staying there, I don't remember hearing or reading that Marriott allowed the same. So I'm guessing you won't get the extra 10x points (plus any elite bonuses) for the meals or other charges unless you have a room folio to bill against.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 18, 9:22 pm
  #9  
t1c
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DTW
Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Posts: 824
Originally Posted by Matt Newman View Post
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from you all.

I just got the NEW Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card

It is the one with $450 fee. Gives $300 credit, free night and 6X points on Marriotts (main reason I got it).

I belong to a country club in Tampa area (initiation is $27k), monthly dues, etc. The hotel and all food/initiation fee, etc., is coded as Marriott points so I am getting 6x points for that. I read that Marriott Rewards® program members can earn up to 10 points per $1 spent at participating hotels.

I'm a little confused on how I would get both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need a Marriott Reward number, I am assuming, and to have the number put in for all our monthly food and drink bills?

Does anyone have any other strategies on how I could maximize points, knowing that I am at this Marriott a few days a week and it is currently coded at 6X points? Would love any advice!
Unless its coded as a room stay it will be 6x for your spend. I frequently eat at Marriott's without staying there they always are coded at 6x or 5x depending on which card I use.
t1c is offline  
Old Sep 30, 18, 12:17 am
  #10  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 912
I don't have first hand experience with this question as I haven't had the case where I've spent money at a Marriott property and tried to get points separate from a folio (whether on my Marriott credit card or as a Qualifying Charge). However, theoretically, if anything comes up as a Marriott charge, you'd get 5x or 6x points on a Marriott credit card (depending which card you have). In addition, I believe in theory it might be possible to get the 10 points per dollar spend on food/beverage at a Marriott property (usually this is 10 points/dollar on one's folio) through Marriott Rewards. The program terms and conditions say:

2.1.a. A Member will earn:

i. Ten (10) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, that is incurred and paid for by the Member on Qualifying Charges in accordance with Section 2.1.b. except at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites properties, where a Member will earn five (5) base Points for each U.S. dollar spent on Qualifying Charges; and except at Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay properties where a Member will earn two and a half (2.5) base Points for each U.S. dollar spent on Qualifying Charges
The next section defines qualifying charges:

2.1.b. Qualifying Charges.Qualifying Charges” are:
[...]
ii. Charges incurred by the Member, without a stay in a guest room, for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to Participating Properties that offer this benefit if:

A. the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverages on their folios;

B. the charges are greater than $10 U.S. dollars (excluding taxes, service charges, and gratuities);

C. the food and beverages are not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges as provided in Section 2.1.b. and

provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of payment. Elite bonus Points will not be awarded on charges incurred by the Member without a stay in a guest room under Section 2.1.b(ii).
(The 2.1.b(ii) reference seems like it might be wrong, as its just referencing its own section.) To me this seems to suggest that if you're at a Participating Property, food and beverage purchases over $10 might qualify towards additional point earning through Marriott Rewards. Though others here more versed in reading the Marriott T&C, or those who've done this before might have more insight.
ryw is offline  
Old Sep 30, 18, 12:58 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,205
However, the beginning says that the restaurant must be located within (or adjacent to) a participating property, which would mean a hotel or resort.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 1, 18, 6:34 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 55
So the restaurants for the country club are all located in the hotel (multiple of them) so think it would qualify.

If that's the case, this may be a really dumb question, but is being a SPG member qualify me?
When I went to sign up for the marriott rewards program (only have the card, have never signed up for the 10X points), it brought me to SPG (which I know there was a merger but would they both count as 10x)?

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/cre...ccountPage1.mi
Matt Newman is offline  
Old Oct 1, 18, 7:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,465
Originally Posted by Matt Newman View Post
have never signed up for the 10X points)
You do not "sign up" for 10x points. You earn 10 points per $ when you have a qualifying stay at a hotel.
UpgradeMe is offline  
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:03 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,205
Originally Posted by Matt Newman View Post
So the restaurants for the country club are all located in the hotel (multiple of them) so think it would qualify.

If that's the case, this may be a really dumb question, but is being a SPG member qualify me?
When I went to sign up for the marriott rewards program (only have the card, have never signed up for the 10X points), it brought me to SPG (which I know there was a merger but would they both count as 10x)?

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/cre...ccountPage1.mi
WHAT HOTEL are all of these country club restaurants located in? I don't understand.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
WHAT HOTEL are all of these country club restaurants located in? I don't understand.
It appears to be affiliated with a Renaissance: https://www.vinoyclub.com/
tryanjordan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: