FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Points Strategy For Country Club Member (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1932919-marriott-points-strategy-country-club-member.html)

Matt Newman Sep 28, 2018 7:15 am

Marriott Points Strategy For Country Club Member

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from you all.

I just got the NEW Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card

It is the one with $450 fee. Gives $300 credit, free night and 6X points on Marriotts (main reason I got it).

I belong to a country club in Tampa area (initiation is $27k), monthly dues, etc. The hotel and all food/initiation fee, etc., is coded as Marriott points so I am getting 6x points for that. I read that Marriott Rewards® program members can earn up to 10 points per $1 spent at participating hotels.

I'm a little confused on how I would get both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need a Marriott Reward number, I am assuming, and to have the number put in for all our monthly food and drink bills?

Does anyone have any other strategies on how I could maximize points, knowing that I am at this Marriott a few days a week and it is currently coded at 6X points? Would love any advice!

Matt Newman Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm

bump!!

UpgradeMe Sep 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30256096)
I'm a little confused on how I would get both.

So am I.

P.S. There is no need to bump a thread after a mere eight hours.

MSPeconomist Sep 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Is your country club part of a Marriott hotel? I'm confused.

sig05 Sep 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30258844)
Is your country club part of a Marriott hotel? I'm confused.

I live in Tampa. The only CC I can think of that would match this would be the Vinoy in St. Petersburg, but I don't know any private clubs with a 27k initiation that would fit here under the OP's original post.

goldenbear Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am

Whatever country club it is, it sounds like the food and beverage is ringing up as of it were a Marriott restaurant. Unless things have changed with the merger, I though one had to charge to a room (ie actually stay in the hotel) to get MR points.

I personally had not thought of using the cc to get points at an affiliated restaurant when not staying at a hotel, so that's kind of clever.

Matt Newman Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am

Hey Sig, yes, it's the Vinoy $27k initiation fee for golf membership ....

Everything is ringing up as marriott charges.

I also have the chase sapphire reserve and it's registering as 3X points for that, even my dinners I charge to the card.

What I am not sure on is if I can get the additional 10x points since it gets codes as Marriott. The 6X points is coding properly.

hhoope01 Sep 29, 2018 8:46 am

While I think Starwood had a means to get the extra "points" for say a meal at a hotel when you weren't staying there, I don't remember hearing or reading that Marriott allowed the same. So I'm guessing you won't get the extra 10x points (plus any elite bonuses) for the meals or other charges unless you have a room folio to bill against.

t1c Sep 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30256096)
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from you all.

I just got the NEW Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card

It is the one with $450 fee. Gives $300 credit, free night and 6X points on Marriotts (main reason I got it).

I belong to a country club in Tampa area (initiation is $27k), monthly dues, etc. The hotel and all food/initiation fee, etc., is coded as Marriott points so I am getting 6x points for that. I read that Marriott Rewards® program members can earn up to 10 points per $1 spent at participating hotels.

I'm a little confused on how I would get both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need a Marriott Reward number, I am assuming, and to have the number put in for all our monthly food and drink bills?

Does anyone have any other strategies on how I could maximize points, knowing that I am at this Marriott a few days a week and it is currently coded at 6X points? Would love any advice!

Unless its coded as a room stay it will be 6x for your spend. I frequently eat at Marriott's without staying there they always are coded at 6x or 5x depending on which card I use.

ryw Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am

I don't have first hand experience with this question as I haven't had the case where I've spent money at a Marriott property and tried to get points separate from a folio (whether on my Marriott credit card or as a Qualifying Charge). However, theoretically, if anything comes up as a Marriott charge, you'd get 5x or 6x points on a Marriott credit card (depending which card you have). In addition, I believe in theory it might be possible to get the 10 points per dollar spend on food/beverage at a Marriott property (usually this is 10 points/dollar on one's folio) through Marriott Rewards. The program terms and conditions say:

2.1.a. A Member will earn:

i. Ten (10) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, that is incurred and paid for by the Member on Qualifying Charges in accordance with Section 2.1.b. except at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites properties, where a Member will earn five (5) base Points for each U.S. dollar spent on Qualifying Charges; and except at Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay properties where a Member will earn two and a half (2.5) base Points for each U.S. dollar spent on Qualifying Charges
The next section defines qualifying charges:

2.1.b. Qualifying Charges.Qualifying Charges” are:
[...]
ii. Charges incurred by the Member, without a stay in a guest room, for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to Participating Properties that offer this benefit if:

A. the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverages on their folios;

B. the charges are greater than $10 U.S. dollars (excluding taxes, service charges, and gratuities);

C. the food and beverages are not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges as provided in Section 2.1.b. and

provided the Member provides his/her Membership Number at the time of payment. Elite bonus Points will not be awarded on charges incurred by the Member without a stay in a guest room under Section 2.1.b(ii).
(The 2.1.b(ii) reference seems like it might be wrong, as its just referencing its own section.) To me this seems to suggest that if you're at a Participating Property, food and beverage purchases over $10 might qualify towards additional point earning through Marriott Rewards. Though others here more versed in reading the Marriott T&C, or those who've done this before might have more insight.

MSPeconomist Sep 30, 2018 12:58 am

However, the beginning says that the restaurant must be located within (or adjacent to) a participating property, which would mean a hotel or resort.

Matt Newman Oct 1, 2018 6:34 am

So the restaurants for the country club are all located in the hotel (multiple of them) so think it would qualify.

If that's the case, this may be a really dumb question, but is being a SPG member qualify me?
When I went to sign up for the marriott rewards program (only have the card, have never signed up for the 10X points), it brought me to SPG (which I know there was a merger but would they both count as 10x)?

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/cre...ccountPage1.mi

UpgradeMe Oct 1, 2018 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30266035)
have never signed up for the 10X points)

You do not "sign up" for 10x points. You earn 10 points per $ when you have a qualifying stay at a hotel.

MSPeconomist Oct 2, 2018 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30266035)
So the restaurants for the country club are all located in the hotel (multiple of them) so think it would qualify.

If that's the case, this may be a really dumb question, but is being a SPG member qualify me?
When I went to sign up for the marriott rewards program (only have the card, have never signed up for the 10X points), it brought me to SPG (which I know there was a merger but would they both count as 10x)?

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/cre...ccountPage1.mi

WHAT HOTEL are all of these country club restaurants located in? I don't understand.

tryanjordan Oct 2, 2018 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30269752)
WHAT HOTEL are all of these country club restaurants located in? I don't understand.

It appears to be affiliated with a Renaissance: https://www.vinoyclub.com/

SacTownGuy Oct 2, 2018 8:09 am

I don't know the answers to your questions but looks like a nice club and a cool hotel. I always like learning of such places. Enjoy!

hockeyinsider Oct 2, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Matt Newman (Post 30260088)
Hey Sig, yes, it's the Vinoy $27k initiation fee for golf membership ....

Everything is ringing up as marriott charges.

Why? Is it Marriott-managed?