Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Instituting Peak Award Chart in 2018 for Ski Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Instituting Peak Award Chart in 2018 for Ski Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

So the OP was not an isolated incident - I hope that OP has a similarly positive result .
Definitely not isolated. There is a discussion thread about this on the Marriott Insiders forum with several others in the same boat (who were also promised the same resolution that I eventually got).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by boulderlaw
Definitely not isolated. There is a discussion thread about this on the Marriott Insiders forum with several others in the same boat (who were also promised the same resolution that I eventually got).
“Promised the same resolution,” meaning a retroactive price change? That’s not a resolution.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by CLEguy

“Promised the same resolution,” meaning a retroactive price change? That’s not a resolution.
What would be a resolution? The prices did change, but existing reservations should be honored, which a price change does.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
I had a similar situation, which was just resolved this way after calling CS twice and emailing:

"Thank you for kindly reaching out to Marriott Customer Care
Thank you for your patience
As you are aware, the amount of points needed for your reservation increased after the combining of the loyalty program. In order to honor your original amount of 180,000 points, I needed to add 60,000 points to your account to cover the difference. In your account activity, you will see 60,000 points added to your account, and then 240,000 removed.

Again I apologize that it has taken so long to get this done for you."
That's a reasonable solution...keeps the hotel owners and the customers both happy...just cost MAR some points...obviously better to resolve it without telling the customer they are SOL first...
wrp96 and smgainey like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What would be a resolution? The prices did change, but existing reservations should be honored, which a price change does.
That's a different situation from what OP has reported here.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Sorry I originally read that as the price change and missed the points addition to cover the difference. Can you name the property?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by davidsc111
That's a reasonable solution...keeps the hotel owners and the customers both happy...just cost MAR some points...obviously better to resolve it without telling the customer they are SOL first...
I don’t understand this statement at all. It is not as if the hotels are paid in points. They are paid the same amount that Marriott chose to pay them regardless to how many points Marriott charge the customers.

The hotels care about their reimbursement rate not how much they cost in points.

The point cost is completely internal accounting at the reward program level.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
I would expect that a confirmed reservation is a contract and to change the terms unilaterally would be a breach of contract. This is illegal.
smgainey likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azmojo
I would expect that a confirmed reservation is a contract and to change the terms unilaterally would be a breach of contract. This is illegal.
Breaching a contract is not illegal.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer

I don’t understand this statement at all. It is not as if the hotels are paid in points. They are paid the same amount that Marriott chose to pay them regardless to how many points Marriott charge the customers.

The hotels care about their reimbursement rate not how much they cost in points.

The point cost is completely internal accounting at the reward program level.
So you think the hotels will not get paid more from Marriott for rooms during the soon to be implemented "Peak" award pricing? ...that's the whole reason they are doing it. Not so Marriott can get extra points off the books...so hotel owners don't lose as much money on reward rooms when they would absolutely sell out anyways...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So you think the hotels will not get paid more from Marriott for rooms during the soon to be implemented "Peak" award pricing? ...that's the whole reason they are doing it. Not so Marriott can get extra points off the books...so hotel owners don't lose as much money on reward rooms when they would absolutely sell out anyways...
It's been documented many times that when hotels do sell out or are close to it, they are reimbursed close to rack rates by Marriott for award rooms (vs. a token payment when there is lower occupancy)...so peak vs. off peak pricing is irrelevant.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's been documented many times that when hotels do sell out or are close to it, they are reimbursed close to rack rates by Marriott for award rooms (vs. a token payment when there is lower occupancy)...so peak vs. off peak pricing is irrelevant.
Fair enough... and you are sure that moving forward nothing has changed? If so, why the dog and pony show of depositing 60k points so they can charge an extra 60k points? Maybe it's just the "new" Marriott...but if so, whoever is making these kinds of decisions should be removed and placed over corporate tours or something (that's where we send incompetent executives who we don't have the heart to fire).

Last edited by davidsc111; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Fair enough... and you are sure that moving forward nothing has changed? If so, why the dog and pony show of depositing 60k points so they can charge an extra 60k points? Maybe it's the just the "new" Marriott...but if so, whoever is making these kinds of decisions should be removed and placed over corporate tours or something (that's where we send incompetent executives who we don't have the heart to fire).
Think it's Marriott acting like a monopolist and trying to get to more true variable pricing. It was an expensive purchase and you have to cut costs where you can.

"Incompetent executives" seems to describe the entire Marriott leadership team at this point. Jeff $misek at his worst was pretty tone deaf, but at least he put his face out there trying to communicate to UA flyers post-merger. These guys here are ghosts...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:57 pm

These guys here are ghosts...
Don't you mean gphroisctkss, LOL?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
That was documented with Starwood. No idea if the same applies to Marriott. Actually, probably not an issue as Marriott liberally used black out dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.