Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Instituting Peak Award Chart in 2018 for Ski Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Instituting Peak Award Chart in 2018 for Ski Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

I was told all Ski Resorts during Ski Season. Again, this is not hotel specific. I will keep everyone updated. Anyone else have a stay during this time on points? Any old SPG people out there remember if SKI season was High Season at SPG for reward stays?

Last edited by jr1202sr; Sep 27, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
WOW, just WOW. I am curious how this will turn out.

I think you should name the property since the call came from corporate, possibly there is no blame to lay on the property anyway. Just useful to know.

I am getting worried about various actions taken by Marriott. None of them have affected me so far, therefore I have not been personally pi$$ed off yet, but I do not like what I am seeing nonetheless.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I was told all Ski Resorts during Ski Season. Again, this is not hotel specific. I will keep everyone updated. Anyone else have a stay during this time on points? Any old SPG people out there remember if SKI season was High Season at SPG for reward stays?
I have reservations in Utah and I haven't been notified about being charged peak rates for them. I am also able to make new reservations at the Hotel Park City and the St. Regis Deer Valley at standard rates of 50K and 60K respectively.

I appreciate that you let us know about the call.

Last edited by rny321; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
SPG hotels in Categories 5 and above have long had a seasonal element, which was mostly at the discretion of the hotel itself. IIRC Cat, 5 was 12K-16K per night, 6 was 20-25k, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I currently have three stays booked at two different ski properties and have not been contacted or seen any additional points deducted

I can't imagine this being accurate, but who knows. And historically some SPG properties would have most of the prime ski season as peak time, but others would only have holidays like President's Day weekend at peak levels. I don't recall any having peak rates the entire ski season though, usually at least early December and early April were non-peak.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:58 am

The idea that the OP is stating his cancellation window went form 3 days to 60 days tells me there is an underlying mistake with his booking. If I read correct the booking is a former SPG category 7 in Colorado. I believe the only one is the St Regis Aspen. Although I think a couple of the former SPG Vail properties moved to a new category 7. Nonetheless, the standard winter cancellation policy at the St Regis is 60 days. Westin Snowmass is 30 days. This is consistent with all ski resort properties I’ve experienced. They don’t want people blocking a bunch of rooms and cancelling at the last minute when mountain conditions aren’t perfect.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by mrfussion
The idea that the OP is stating his cancellation window went form 3 days to 60 days tells me there is an underlying mistake with his booking. If I read correct the booking is a former SPG category 7 in Colorado. I believe the only one is the St Regis Aspen. Although I think a couple of the former SPG Vail properties moved to a new category 7. Nonetheless, the standard winter cancellation policy at the St Regis is 60 days. Westin Snowmass is 30 days. This is consistent with all ski resort properties I’ve experienced. They don’t want people blocking a bunch of rooms and cancelling at the last minute when mountain conditions aren’t perfect.
Great. So make sure that's a condition for booking before someone books.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So it seems to me there's a bunch of stuff going on here.
1. Ski resorts being Peak during most or all of ski season. That doesn't surprise me at all.
2. Marriott going back on the promise that peak pricing won't apply until 2019. Disappointing, but I'm not exactly shocked.
3. Even if peak pricing begins in December and not January, the fact that it is applied to bookings made before that start date is new, and has potential to affect all hotels, not just ski resorts. Previous statements had been that as long as you booked before peak pricing, the standard chart would apply.
4. Marriott changing the terms of an existing confirmed reservation, both the pojnts rate and the cancellation policy. Maddening.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Example #87 (and counting) of an abject leadership failure all the way up to the top...so much for "the buck stops here"
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:39 pm

Lurker: Email sent with verification of my reservation at 360 points for 7 Nights. That is 6 @ 60K each AND 1 night Free with 4 for 5 promotion. I also sent a copy of the award chart. My call stated the new cost would be 70K per night. I have the agents name and ext in the corp office.

To everyone else: This is not a cruel joke. I was called by Ms. XXXX. at the Salt Lake City Marriott Office and She was a Corporate Liaison for Marriott Rewards. I asked specially for her name and title. Caller ID showed a 801 #. She gave me her ext so she clearly works in the corp department if I needed to follow up. This wasn't me calling a call center and getting bad info.

What was amazing is she had NO problem going on record stating this is what Marriott was doing moving forward and it was not what had been previously advertised. I pressed her 3x and said I was going to quote her on this as this was crazy to change the terms after a reservation was made. There was no I am sorry for any confusion about the dates or we meant to exclude resorts....simply we are changing your terms take it or leave it. Hopefully the lurker can speak to someone and they can "rethink" this plan. This isn't some random person in a call center misinformed. I was called on my Cell phone in the middle of the day.

BTW my cancellation period was changed from 3 days out to 60 days out.
I would fight this. As someone else mentioned, it cannot be legal to change the terms of the booking once the booking has been made, unless you are changing the booking. Otherwise, what's to stop them from changing a paid rate from $200/night to $1000/night whenever they feel like it? The Ritz Carlton in Aruba tried to change my cancellation period from 14 days to 90 days, but I fought back and accused them of a crime (I would've reported it to the proper authorities, too) but they then said they made a mistake.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I have a stay from 1/1 to 1/6 also in Colorado. My cancellation was always 60 days, but was and still looks like 60,000 points per night.

You have me worried, not just for this reservation but the behavior of marriott.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:39 am

Changes after 8/18

While all of this is disturbing, it is the result of integrating the rules of two completely different systems. It affects the hotel owners and their loyal customers and Marriott is trying to make up policies to appease everyone. In the end they will need to accommodate the customers and honor their reservations.
smgainey likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
I had a similar situation, which was just resolved this way after calling CS twice and emailing:

"Thank you for kindly reaching out to Marriott Customer Care
Thank you for your patience
As you are aware, the amount of points needed for your reservation increased after the combining of the loyalty program. In order to honor your original amount of 180,000 points, I needed to add 60,000 points to your account to cover the difference. In your account activity, you will see 60,000 points added to your account, and then 240,000 removed.

Again I apologize that it has taken so long to get this done for you."
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All Marriott properties will have peak/off-peak pricing in 2019 as stated on Marriott.com. What is alarming is that this applies retroactively to confirmed reservations with points deducted already. I surely hope this policy will be changed.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by boulderlaw
I had a similar situation, which was just resolved this way after calling CS twice and emailing:

"Thank you for kindly reaching out to Marriott Customer Care
Thank you for your patience
As you are aware, the amount of points needed for your reservation increased after the combining of the loyalty program. In order to honor your original amount of 180,000 points, I needed to add 60,000 points to your account to cover the difference. In your account activity, you will see 60,000 points added to your account, and then 240,000 removed.

Again I apologize that it has taken so long to get this done for you."
So the OP was not an isolated incident - I hope that OP has a similarly positive result .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.