Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador - For 2018, if we hit 100 SPG Nights, do we get Ambasaador for 2019?

Ambassador - For 2018, if we hit 100 SPG Nights, do we get Ambasaador for 2019?

Old Dec 28, 18, 8:38 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,314
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
My ambassador is now back in the office, and she stated the same thing as the other ambassador who answered me during her absence: the 5 Amex nights do NOT count towards the 100 nights. The one new piece of information I received today from her is that the 5 nights count for Silver, Gold and Plat, but do not count for AMB100. That makes no sense to me, but this is what she said.

Not only I find it disturbing to be informed of this on December 28, but also that now I have two different ambassadors directly contradicting the Lurkers.

Bottom line if someone can confirm that I am renewing Plat+AMB for 2019 then it's a non-issue, but if not then I will have a serious beef with this.

In addition my account has been showing online in the last several months "congrats, well done. you've reached our highest level of benefits. enjoy our highest level of benefits until January 2020". This led me to believe that I did not have to worry about 2019 qualification. I hope this was not misleading.
Keep in mind Ambassadors are nothing more than glorified CSR agents. Yes, we expect them all to know the same rules and do the research when they don't know. However, the trend seems to be to make things up or take a co-worker's explanation to get us off the phone so they can move on to the next caller/email and look good for the beancounters. Unfortunately, no one here will know any better so all we can do is wait to see what IT causes to kick out and just maybe, do a correction if they are wrong. But regardless what we are told, if it's deemed wrong I would not expect them to honor it. If the IRS can get by with it why not Marriott?
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 11:01 am
  #17  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,302
Because the IRS doesn’t have to worry about losing customers if they act evil.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 12:54 pm
  #18  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,718
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
The 15 nights are from the Marriott credit card. I am not sure if there is different treatment or not for the Marriott Visa than the SPG Amex. But to reach AMB we need 100 SPG nights, and the Amex card was 5 nights.
I would not expect the 15 nights from a MR credit card to count toward the 100 SPG ONLY nights needed to qualify for AMB under legacy SPG rules, without the $20,000 spend.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:06 pm
  #19  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would not expect the 15 nights from a MR credit card to count toward the 100 SPG ONLY nights needed to qualify for AMB under legacy SPG rules, without the $20,000 spend.
I am only focussed on the 5 Amex SPG nights to bring me from 95 to 100. The Marriott visa 15 nights are a different issue and this was not commented on by my ambassador so I do not know how they are handled.
escape4 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 4:06 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Posts: 415
Marriott should just Grandfather all over 100 next year as the place is a mess. I lost my spend counter sometime back in October. Further, half the time charges for resturants never post to spend.

Still waiting for lifetime PPE but this year I moved 50 stays over to Hilton where I am lifetime diamond. Next year I will continue this unless they fix their IT.
dshafiee is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 5:02 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,068
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would not expect the 15 nights from a MR credit card to count toward the 100 SPG ONLY nights needed to qualify for AMB under legacy SPG rules, without the $20,000 spend.
understand. I was making the point that they do count for MR status and the 5 SPG nights count towards Platinum as well, so this seems like an unlikely exception that doesnt make any sense.
Antarius is online now  
Old Dec 28, 18, 9:58 pm
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,718
Originally Posted by dshafiee View Post
Marriott should just Grandfather all over 100 next year as the place is a mess. I lost my spend counter sometime back in October. Further, half the time charges for resturants never post to spend.

Still waiting for lifetime PPE but this year I moved 50 stays over to Hilton where I am lifetime diamond. Next year I will continue this unless they fix their IT.
I disagree. The Ambassador staff is overwhelmed enough as it--there's no need to bring others in who didn't qualify according to the published rules.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:47 am
  #23  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,228
They ended up offering me something making it worthwhile to stay a couple more nights December 29-31 just to cross the 100 threshold (105 including credit card nights) even though I did not really need a hotel for those couple of nights. So they were serious about the credit card nights no longer counting for AMB, but at least were kind enough to acknowledge that the way I ended up in this situation at the last minute was partially their own doing. So all ends well and I remain a happy guest who will stay with them 100+ nights and $20k spend in 2019 as a result.
escape4 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:41 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,455
Judging that those CC nights is not counted for Lifetime counts as well, then what the purpose of those nights ? earning lower level tiers ? (up to pltp I mean)
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:04 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 374
And 5 Elite Nights Credits from Annual Choice Benefit counted to Ambassador status or not ???
HHQX888 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:48 am
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,314
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
They ended up offering me something making it worthwhile to stay a couple more nights December 29-31 just to cross the 100 threshold (105 including credit card nights) even though I did not really need a hotel for those couple of nights. So they were serious about the credit card nights no longer counting for AMB, but at least were kind enough to acknowledge that the way I ended up in this situation at the last minute was partially their own doing. So all ends well and I remain a happy guest who will stay with them 100+ nights and $20k spend in 2019 as a result.
Unfortunately, in today's environment, trusting the CSRs to know all the rules is not wise. I am sure there will be many people surprised when they see what IT has really done and it's not likely to match what we've been told. Hedging your bet was wise regardless in case you hit some zealous agent that feels status was granted in error and goes on a crusade to correct it (I had that at AA once and finding a sneaky EXP agent negated all the efforts of the rouge agent, and this was for an error two years earlier!).
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 4:49 pm
  #27  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I had that at AA once and finding a sneaky EXP agent negated all the efforts of the rouge agent, and this was for an error two years earlier!
Whoa
escape4 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:14 pm
  #28  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,718
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Unfortunately, in today's environment, trusting the CSRs to know all the rules is not wise. I am sure there will be many people surprised when they see what IT has really done and it's not likely to match what we've been told. Hedging your bet was wise regardless in case you hit some zealous agent that feels status was granted in error and goes on a crusade to correct it (I had that at AA once and finding a sneaky EXP agent negated all the efforts of the rouge agent, and this was for an error two years earlier!).
.....and (as reported in another thread) I had an ambassador contact a Starwood hotel (where I was staying and which had been contacted in advance by my own ambassador) that I don't have ambassador status. I suspect this happened for at least one other hotel, but I have copies of the email exchange to know that it happened for one hotel.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:08 pm
  #29  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
.....and (as reported in another thread) I had an ambassador contact a Starwood hotel (where I was staying and which had been contacted in advance by my own ambassador) that I don't have ambassador status. I suspect this happened for at least one other hotel, but I have copies of the email exchange to know that it happened for one hotel.
Wait, what? If you are saying what I think you are saying, it seems so incredible that I must not understand correctly.
1. You have Plat-AMB status
2. Your own ambassador contacts the hotel to make request XYZ
3. Another ambassador (not your own) contacts the same hotel to inform them that you do NOT have ambassador status

Is that right or I am missing something? For what purpose, and on what grounds? For what issue did you contact this other ambassador, in other words how did this person even come into the equation?

If you already explained all of this somewhere else please let me know where and I will read with interest.
escape4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread