Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by slpybear
I think that is a good plan. WalMart is just a short drive from KOA and is a perfect stop on the way to the hotel. It will definitely save you money over the roll away.

We stocked up at COSTCO before we hit the hotel and it definitely saved us money on snacks and liquor.
That's pretty much our plan as well! :-)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
FYI...roll aways are available for $45/night...not sure if there is a resort fee associated with those or not! :-)
I was unaware there was a charge for roll aways. Do you know if there is there also a charge for cribs? TIA
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by eseeton
I was unaware there was a charge for roll aways. Do you know if there is there also a charge for cribs? TIA
Sorry, I didn't ask...but I would pretty much bet there is.
eseeton likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Were all of the true Ocean Front buildings sold for the residences? That is all the front line buildings on the north side? I notice that when I am looking at room choices now, "Premium Ocean View" is the highest category. When I last stayed there in 2015, "Oceanfront" was a category and it seemed to be all the rooms in the front line of buildings on the north side.

Last edited by DeirdreTours; Jul 10, 2019 at 7:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
We all of the true Ocean Front building sold for the residences?....
That's right. The ocean front north wing is sold and being converted to residences. That's also the source of construction noise.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:38 am

My Chase Ritz card did not recognize this resort as a Marriott - still shows as "prince resorts". Was surprised when charges posted and I didn't get any bonuses.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just back from the Big Island and while we didn't stay at the Westin, we did visit Hapuna Beach so I wanted to add a couple of notes here, especially since construction has been such a popular topic.

First, the beach is great. It was decently crowded, but not uncomfortably so. Beautiful blue water and very warm. Sand goes on for days. The area near the hotel was less crowded and there appeared to be many vacant beach chairs.

The building immediately up from the beach is very much under construction and looks like it will be for a very long time. We didn't get that close, but from what I could tell, it looks like it's essentially gutted. There is heavy equipment in the area (backhoe), construction fencing, and workers in and around the area. I didn't hear any noise, but would guess that they'll be working through the remainder of the year, at least.

We have a trip to Kauai next summer and are strongly considering adding Hapuna or even changing the trip to Big Island altogether just because we like the beach so much.
bsdstone and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:12 pm

Going in end of August and need some clarification for the on site parking. Some posts here say self parking is included in the resort fees, but hotel site shows $25 per night fees. What is correct?

Also, as for the room, what room should I request? Reports say North side has construction going on so just say south side? Any specific room number range?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by iridium
Going in end of August and need some clarification for the on site parking. Some posts here say self parking is included in the resort fees, but hotel site shows $25 per night fees. What is correct?

Also, as for the room, what room should I request? Reports say North side has construction going on so just say south side? Any specific room number range?
Parking is additional to resort fee. $31 resort fee, plus $25 self parking - per night.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Parking is additional to resort fee. $31 resort fee, plus $25 self parking - per night.
Here's another data point:
I stayed this past early December on a regular paid reservation. I was charged the $31 resort fee, but nothing added for self-parking. Valet parking was extra.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Hello all,

Can confirm that the change to parking fees happened this year and it is now a separate charge from the resort fee.

As far as requesting rooms, request the South Tower. Any of the rooms should be fine for noise.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by rabilancia
Here's another data point:
I stayed this past early December on a regular paid reservation. I was charged the $31 resort fee, but nothing added for self-parking. Valet parking was extra.
I stayed there July - 3 weeks ago, parking and resort fee separate charges, no waivers for plat.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Stayed here in June, parking is separate from resort fee.

As far as construction noise, staying on the south end of the hotel helped. We never heard anything from our room. Also, go to the southern most part of the beach with chairs, and you will be shielded as much as possible on the beach from the noise.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm getting two rooms for 6 people. I have myself and my wife, my two boys who will be 15 and 13 at the time and my in laws.
Plan on getting king beds and getting a roll away delivered in each room...I'm assuming there will be a charge for this...anyone know if that's the case, and what the charge would be?
I have two king rooms on points over New Year 2020, and need to bring 2 kids, 8 and 5, in addition to the 4 adults in these 2 rooms. I have tried searching multiple times in hopes of finding a queen/queen room and switching but no luck so far. Curious to hear if they let you check in 3 or 4 ppl into a King room, and what did you end up doing about rollaway or floor mattress, as I suspect I may have to do the same.

I am not hoping for an upgrade as I am only a Gold and this will be over busiest/sold out time at the resort. thanks
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
the hotel messages section of the reservation mentions that it includes parking. Wonder if someone could argue that and get parking free.

dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.