Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
As of the beginning of May 2019 :

1) SNA didn't clear, but Premier Ocean View room was given without asking.
2) 2 buffet breakfast per day as one of the welcome gift.
3) 2 drink coupons were given.
4) Resort and parking fee apply.
5) Surprisingly, a nice fruit plate was delivered.
6) 4pm late check-out was accepted.
7) You see the construction, but the noise wasn't there while we stayed.

Last edited by SmartSky; May 9, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by SFOandNRT
As of the beginning of May 2019 :

1) SNA didn't clear, but Premier Ocean View room was given without asking.
2) 2 buffet breakfast per day as one of the welcome gift.
3) 2 drink coupons were given.
4) Resort and parking fee apply.
5) Surprisingly, a nice fruit plate was delivered.
6) 4pm late check-out was accepted.
7) You see the construction, but the noise wasn't there while we stayed.
Wow you got treated better than me (I'm Titanium). I didn't get items 1, 3, 5 or 6 but I got them to waive the resort fees at least. Was your stay for a special occasion and was it a paid stay ?
Old May 19, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I just went to book a room with points for spring break next year and when I did, I noticed an "extra person fee" of $75/night. That was for 3 people in a room...showed up for both 2 queens or a king room.
Is this fee normal? Is it avoidable?
Old May 20, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I just went to book a room with points for spring break next year and when I did, I noticed an "extra person fee" of $75/night. That was for 3 people in a room...showed up for both 2 queens or a king room.
Is this fee normal? Is it avoidable?
This is a new problem with Marriott's reservation system on points. Per the Marriott T&Cs, your Bonvoy points cover all of the guests that can stay in the room. Just book the room for 2 guests and then no worries when you arrive, No worries. I have had to do this a few times already this year.
bsdstone likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Phew!
Thanks for the heads up!
Old May 20, 2019, 12:20 pm

Phew!
Thanks for the heads up!
Yes, we ran into that for the first time when we made our reservation for the upcoming week. With two boys, I was a bit frustrated at the extra fees until we researched further. Enjoy the Hapuna!
bsdstone likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm getting two rooms for 6 people. I have myself and my wife, my two boys who will be 15 and 13 at the time and my in laws.
Plan on getting king beds and getting a roll away delivered in each room...I'm assuming there will be a charge for this...anyone know if that's the case, and what the charge would be?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: BOS - UA 2P, SPG Plat
Breakfast Platinum with family?

i think the plat amenity is 2 adult buffet breakfasts...what would be the cost for 2 kids ages 9 and 10?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:29 am

We took our boys a few times with us and it was $15 for the child's buffet. $38 for adults, FWIW.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:04 am

Aloha all, we just arrived back from 5 nights at the Westin Hapuna over the Memorial Day weekend and wanted to provide a brief review.

GREETING: My party of four was greeted with Leis, cold towels, and cold fruit juice on arrival. We were invited to visit the Marriott Vacation Club desk for a free $10 resort credit. We stopped by, declined the timeshare sales pitch, and were still given a discount card valid at many places in and near the hotel.

ROOM: We booked points (140K for 5 nights) for our stay and did not request any SNAs. We requested to be placed in the South Tower away from the construction noise. We checked before arrival and it looked like the hotel was near 100% occupancy and this was confirmed at check in; Front desk indicated almost every room was booked. Our room wasn't ready until almost 4pm, (as we were warned due to high occupancy). Our room was located at the Southern-most point of the resort and construction noise was never an issue. The rooms are similar to our previous visits with updated touches, no complaints at all. WiFi was good speeds, Starbucks coffee and maker provided, and refrigerator in room.

RATE: As we booked on points we only had to worry about the resort fee and discretionary room charges. We booked an award for two adults, but checked in with two boys. No problems at check in and all names were provided for guests. Definitely not an issue regarding the vague "extra person charge" problem Marriott has now on award visits. We self-parked and were not charged for parking.

BREAKFAST: As Plat Elite, we received complimentary full breakfast buffet for two adults for each day of our stay. We enjoyed it thoroughly and I didn't see many changes from the previous visits here. Be sure to eat the homemade granola bar that is brought to your table each day! We had stopped at Costco for snacks and drinks on the way in, so our boys had breakfast in the room most days. But when they wanted a hot breakfast we brought them with us and it was a $15 charge for the child's buffet.

DINING: We ate at the Naupaka pool side bar several times in the afternoons and had dinner at Meridia one night. Both were "resort" pricey but both were good food. The Sunset dining on the porch at Meridia is beautiful and worth it.

POOLS: The new adult pool is very nice, with an infinity ledge, great views, and far enough from the family pool that it is quiet. The Family pool is very large, with amazing view, and always available lounge chairs. Pool side wait staff was great at both.

BEACH: Perfect. No other way to describe it. The hotel puts out lounge chairs each day by 8am, and umbrellas up usually by 10am. Even on a busy day like Memorial Day weekend there was plenty of space. Snorkeling was great on the right side as always; lot of pics and goPro video of fish and swimming with several Sea Turtles. Make sure to walk the beach at least once during Sunset.

CONSTRUCTION: We were worried but it wasn't bad at all. We flew in on Saturday and there was no work on Sat, Sun, or Memorial Day Mon. On the Tues, Wed, and Thurs it started promptly at 9AM each day. It was pretty mild... hammering, sawing, light grinding, and some construction vehicle noise. On the beach it was lost to us in the sound of the surf. At the pool, you could notice it some, but not terrible. I am sure when it was in a demo phase it was much louder, but not bad now at all.

CHECKOUT: We requested a late checkout of 3PM and was given this after checking for our Platinum status. Bell staff did a great job (at check in as well).

OVERALL: We are very biased as we love this hotel, location, and Island. It was a great stay and great value for the points. There are not any adjacent dining options other than the Mauna Kea, but Waikoloa is a short drive with shopping and dining. Even better, drive up to Kawaihae or Waimea for great local dining. A short drive is not an issue for us. As always YMMV.

EXTRA COMMENT: I took my oldest son to Pearl Harbor for a day trip on Memorial Day. We both have been there before, but wanted to be there on a special day. It ranks right up there with my Visit to the Normandy D-Day Beaches and Cemetery on a previous Memorial Day.

BONUS TIP: go over to the Manta Bar at the Mauna Kea resort one night to watch the Manta Rays feeding in their large light on the beach. They have to be at least 6-8 feet across in wingspan... maybe even larger!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by slpybear
Aloha all, we just arrived back from 5 nights at the Westin Hapuna over the Memorial Day weekend and wanted to provide a brief review.

GREETING: My party of four was greeted with Leis, cold towels, and cold fruit juice on arrival. We were invited to visit the Marriott Vacation Club desk for a free $10 resort credit. We stopped by, declined the timeshare sales pitch, and were still given a discount card valid at many places in and near the hotel.

ROOM: We booked points (140K for 5 nights) for our stay and did not request any SNAs. We requested to be placed in the South Tower away from the construction noise. We checked before arrival and it looked like the hotel was near 100% occupancy and this was confirmed at check in; Front desk indicated almost every room was booked. Our room wasn't ready until almost 4pm, (as we were warned due to high occupancy). Our room was located at the Southern-most point of the resort and construction noise was never an issue. The rooms are similar to our previous visits with updated touches, no complaints at all. WiFi was good speeds, Starbucks coffee and maker provided, and refrigerator in room.

RATE: As we booked on points we only had to worry about the resort fee and discretionary room charges. We booked an award for two adults, but checked in with two boys. No problems at check in and all names were provided for guests. Definitely not an issue regarding the vague "extra person charge" problem Marriott has now on award visits. We self-parked and were not charged for parking.

BREAKFAST: As Plat Elite, we received complimentary full breakfast buffet for two adults for each day of our stay. We enjoyed it thoroughly and I didn't see many changes from the previous visits here. Be sure to eat the homemade granola bar that is brought to your table each day! We had stopped at Costco for snacks and drinks on the way in, so our boys had breakfast in the room most days. But when they wanted a hot breakfast we brought them with us and it was a $15 charge for the child's buffet.

DINING: We ate at the Naupaka pool side bar several times in the afternoons and had dinner at Meridia one night. Both were "resort" pricey but both were good food. The Sunset dining on the porch at Meridia is beautiful and worth it.

POOLS: The new adult pool is very nice, with an infinity ledge, great views, and far enough from the family pool that it is quiet. The Family pool is very large, with amazing view, and always available lounge chairs. Pool side wait staff was great at both.

BEACH: Perfect. No other way to describe it. The hotel puts out lounge chairs each day by 8am, and umbrellas up usually by 10am. Even on a busy day like Memorial Day weekend there was plenty of space. Snorkeling was great on the right side as always; lot of pics and goPro video of fish and swimming with several Sea Turtles. Make sure to walk the beach at least once during Sunset.

CONSTRUCTION: We were worried but it wasn't bad at all. We flew in on Saturday and there was no work on Sat, Sun, or Memorial Day Mon. On the Tues, Wed, and Thurs it started promptly at 9AM each day. It was pretty mild... hammering, sawing, light grinding, and some construction vehicle noise. On the beach it was lost to us in the sound of the surf. At the pool, you could notice it some, but not terrible. I am sure when it was in a demo phase it was much louder, but not bad now at all.

CHECKOUT: We requested a late checkout of 3PM and was given this after checking for our Platinum status. Bell staff did a great job (at check in as well).

OVERALL: We are very biased as we love this hotel, location, and Island. It was a great stay and great value for the points. There are not any adjacent dining options other than the Mauna Kea, but Waikoloa is a short drive with shopping and dining. Even better, drive up to Kawaihae or Waimea for great local dining. A short drive is not an issue for us. As always YMMV.

EXTRA COMMENT: I took my oldest son to Pearl Harbor for a day trip on Memorial Day. We both have been there before, but wanted to be there on a special day. It ranks right up there with my Visit to the Normandy D-Day Beaches and Cemetery on a previous Memorial Day.

BONUS TIP: go over to the Manta Bar at the Mauna Kea resort one night to watch the Manta Rays feeding in their large light on the beach. They have to be at least 6-8 feet across in wingspan... maybe even larger!
Such a comprehensive review. Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm getting two rooms for 6 people. I have myself and my wife, my two boys who will be 15 and 13 at the time and my in laws.
Plan on getting king beds and getting a roll away delivered in each room...I'm assuming there will be a charge for this...anyone know if that's the case, and what the charge would be?
FYI...roll aways are available for $45/night...not sure if there is a resort fee associated with those or not! :-)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:14 pm

FYI...roll aways are available for $45/night...not sure if there is a resort fee associated with those or not! :-)
Not sure if the boys could do it... but there is a larger couch in the rooms. Think futon mattress. If they are young enough they might be able to sleep on that and save the $$$.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slpybear
Not sure if the boys could do it... but there is a larger couch in the rooms. Think futon mattress. If they are young enough they might be able to sleep on that and save the $$$.
Just looked at pics on tripadvisor, and the younger (will be 13) might be able to do it. The 14 soon to be 15 is about 5'9", so that's probably not an option.
Actually thinking about bringing a blow up mattress for them and letting them sleep on that for the 8 days.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:39 am

Just looked at pics on tripadvisor, and the younger (will be 13) might be able to do it. The 14 soon to be 15 is about 5'9", so that's probably not an option.
Actually thinking about bringing a blow up mattress for them and letting them sleep on that for the 8 days.
I think that is a good plan. WalMart is just a short drive from KOA and is a perfect stop on the way to the hotel. It will definitely save you money over the roll away.

We stocked up at COSTCO before we hit the hotel and it definitely saved us money on snacks and liquor.
bsdstone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.