Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
My wife and I just did a points stay at Westin Hapuna from 7-12 Feb. Our upgraded room (Premium Ocean view) on the 9th floor (top level) was on the North Wing just behind the Hapuna Beach Residences block that is *STILL* under construction. Having been alerted on FT to the construction, the fact that our stay was over the weekend (no work), and the fact that we spent a fair bit of time out of the hotel, meant that the noise was less an issue than expected. Nevertheless, there was a lot of drilling noise and some jackhammering going on, which was muted but audible enough through the glass balcony doors. Upon checkout, one of the FD told us that they thought that the construction would be done by end of 2019.

While some FTers have reported that it's walkable from Hapuna Beach to Mauna Kea Beach, and the Hapuna staff certainly did not deny it, they recommended that my wife and I drive over to Mauna Kea and valet park since as Hapuna guests we would not be charged any parking fees. This was a good recommendation that worked a treat.

Incidentally, our stay on the Big Island was divided into 4 nights in Hilo (Hilton Doubletree Grand Naniloa), 5 nights at the Westin Hapuna, and 2 nights at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach.
Is the property at least disclosing the construction at booking? They weren't previously.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is the property at least disclosing the construction at booking? They weren't previously.
Nope not that I recall. In fact, if not for you I think, I wouldn't have known before hand that there was construction at Hapuna. Like I think it was you who said, it was a rather sneaky of the property not to openly disclose their construction. I knew of the construction and took a chance. My plan was actually to email the hotel before hand and try to wrangle a room in the South Wing but unlike in SPG days, there was no email address for the property. Also, the hotel was sold out on the first two nights of my stay such that suites weren't even available for sale; South Wing was apparently sold out.

EDIT: My wife reminded me that the FD staff were a tad defensive/canned in their reply to us at check-in regarding the construction: the Hapuna Beach Residences was sold off and the hotel had no knowledge about the construction blah blah... And yet, a large room on the 8th floor of the South Wing on the way to the car park block was advertising the project...

Last edited by dannybhoy; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:42 pm Reason: Additional info.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are lots of questions about how the beach at Hapuna compares to Maui/other islands.

IMHO the beach at Hapuna and the beach next door at the Mauna Kea are the two best beaches in Hawaii, bar none.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There are lots of questions about how the beach at Hapuna compares to Maui/other islands.

IMHO the beach at Hapuna and the beach next door at the Mauna Kea are the two best beaches in Hawaii, bar none.
Agreed. Its definitely the best hotel beach in Hawaii, and a strong candidate for best beach overall (including drive/walk-to beaches). We had a lot of discussion about this in the original thread; not sure why a new one was created and all that info is thus lost.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jpdx

Agreed. It’s definitely the best hotel beach in Hawaii, and a strong candidate for best beach overall (including drive/walk-to beaches). We had a lot of discussion about this in the original thread; not sure why a new one was created and all that info is thus lost.
The couple of miles of public beach just past Pupukea, on Oahu, is pretty nice, although again it's public.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:20 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I will second that. We have been to several on Oahu, Maui, and Big Island. The Hapuna is the best hotel beach for sure. I like it for the best beach, period, but some don't care for the waves on summer afternoons. We love them!

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:27 am

Stayed there late last year.

1. They didn't really acknowledge construction nor my Plat Prem status on arrival (did not get an upgraded room in a place that was not full). Front desk folks don't really seem to acknowledge your status.
2. Construction noise was quite obnoxious at pool and at beach. I got used to it, sort of, and evenings were fine, though there was some weekend work.
3. Rooms on right side of property facing ocean on lower levels look directly into the building under construction. Construction workers had a meeting of 8 people that had a direct view into our initial room (moved us after complaint, but we were Plat Premiere ... why were we given the room in the first place? Had to be one of the least desirable rooms in the whole place).
4. Moved to a room on far left side. Nice view of golf course with ocean in distance. However, this is the side where they have the delivery trucks and refuse trucks backing in with their beepers. Tip: try to avoid the extreme end on this side.
5. Beach is awesome. One of best in all of Hawaii (been multiple times to every major island).
6. Quite limited low-cost eating options nearby. You have to drive.

All that being said, would love to go back again because it was beautiful and the beach was great.

jb
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:39 pm

Thanks for the response! Do you think it is worth it go in June with te constructio nstill going on?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Any SNA success?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Targeting staying here for Spring Break (Easter and the following week) 2020 for 1 week. Will have a total of 6 people and use points for at least one of the rooms.
Any strategies on how best to approach getting a suite for one room? I'm lifetime titanium and will have SNA's available.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Any tricks to get the resort ir parking fee reduced ir waived ? Who to talk to and when ?

There are several "benefits" that are advertised in the resort fee that are already Bonvoy elite status benefits.
dave.brown likes this.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Apr 6, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any tricks to get the resort ir parking fee reduced ir waived ? Who to talk to and when ?

There are several "benefits" that are advertised in the resort fee that are already Bonvoy elite status benefits.
Marriott Bonvoy's terms and conditions require a property charging a resort fee that includes internet access to provide an alternative or replacement amenity. Some properties partially refund the resort fee; others actually provide something. See this thread:

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Marriott Bonvoy's terms and conditions require a property charging a resort fee that includes internet access to provide an alternative or replacement amenity. Some properties partially refund the resort fee; others actually provide something. See this thread:

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee
That's the theory. In practice, few FDAs know about this, most will draw a blank if you ask. I was not offered anything at Hapuna. I don't usually bother with this supposed benefit and they, if offered, are often of minimal value anyway.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's the theory. In practice, few FDAs know about this, most will draw a blank if you ask. I was not offered anything at Hapuna. I don't usually bother with this supposed benefit and they, if offered, are often of minimal value anyway.
I'm currently staying here and in discussions to waive/discount resort fee as part of my fight against resort fees , with these 4 arguments
  1. WiFi internet is too slow in the room
  2. Replacement amenity or discount on resort fees should be provided since I am already entitled to internet as Bonvoy Elite
  3. Ukelele lessons are advertised as being included as part of the resort fees but no Ukele lessons were scheduled for the week before or following our check-in date.
  4. Construction noise was not disclosed and is caused by property under same ownership
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I'm currently staying here and in discussions to waive/discount resort fee as part of my fight against resort fees , with these 4 arguments.........
And the result is?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.