Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
It was interesting - I picked the Premier Ocean Suite as my SNA option for the view, which didn't clear. The agent at check-in mentioned that the Lanai Suite they were holding for me if I wanted it had two full bathrooms - apparently, Lanai Suites are their largest suites. I joked that I couldn't take two showers at once, but I still wish I had taken it just to see the room.
The Lanai suites look interesting not only for their size but also the huge patch of grass they (appear to) have. As a family that has an 18 month old, def seems appealing!
Old May 9, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Frankly, I think I made a mistake by not taking the Lanai Suite as my room was on the far south end of the hotel and had lots of land between me and the ocean.
I had a room at the south end of the hotel back in October 2019 which had a view like this:

And at night magically turned into this:

Loved that stay and would like to head back.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I had a room at the south end of the hotel back in October 2019 which had a view like this:

And at night magically turned into this:

Loved that stay and would like to head back.
NOW, that is beautiful!
dgreen12 and Clearfield like this.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:21 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Recently spent three nights here. Strangely, just before the devaluation the hotel had a surprisingly large number of nights with 40k redemptions available (including a number of 3-4 night weekends in April/May). So I finally used up my 75 night elite choice certs from the past three years. Excellent value compared to the $900+ sticker price.

Received an upgrade to a Premier Ocean View room at the far end of the 9th floor, nice view, rooms still in good upkeep compared to our last stay 4 years ago (when there was still construction going on, with an excavator parked in the lobby). Hotel rather busy, pre-arrival email warned of no upgrade and no early check-in. The latter turned out to be true, and it was handled somewhat awkwardly -- the room became available at 3:55pm, and when we arrived noon-ish, the front desk staff seemed unwilling to store our luggage ("you can leave it in your car"). To my surprise, on our departure day, a 2pm late checkout was granted.

The breakfast arrangement is bizarre. Having lived in Europe the last couple years and mostly traveled in Asia before that, I had almost forgotten how odd breakfast was handled at Hawaiian Bonvoys. At the Westin, we were given a choice of either having a continental breakfast at the restaurant, or picking it up at the grab-and-go place. At the restaurant, a grotesque amount of pastries, fruits, oatmeal and yoghurt were brought to our table. We ate no more than half of what we were given, and felt bad about the waste. Getting an egg or a waffle would have necessitated buying up to the buffet for $25 (although buying up isn't quite the correct term, because per the menu, $25 isn't the difference between continental and full buffet). On the second day, I went to the grab-and-go place, thought breakfast in bed would be more appreciated by the SO than the restaurant breakfast. Well, it's the thought that counts, which is a good thing, because I was told, if you want to pick up stuff for two people, two people need to show up. What's given to one person is adequate, at least in terms of sugary pastries, to feed two, but I really wish I hadn't been charged an extra ~$6 for the second hot drink. On day 3, we went to the grab-and-go place together, and were basically told, take whatever you want from the continental selection.

Monney grabs abound. I don't mind paying $20 for a poolside drink, but $37+ resort fee plus $30 parking is rather substantial. Of course the resort fee scam is now widespread; we also redeemed a few nights at Courtyard Kona, where the resort fee is now $22+ and parking is $25.

It was lovely to be back on the Big Island, and IMO the Westin has on of the best hotel beaches (if not the best) in all of Hawaii. Despite the disappointing breakfast arrangement and ridiculous fees, the hotel remains an excellent redemption value -- the award calendar has a number of 50k nights, and at that level, it's hard to pass up.
Pat89339, cfischer, bizum and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA Gold
For anyone who has stayed in the Lanai Suite; would it accommodate a family of 4? Two kids - ages 10 and 12. Thanks!!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Alohaaa from the Big Island!

I’m staying at the Westin Hapuna this weekend. Lovely property and I still think Hapuna has one of the best beaches on this side of the island though the Mauna Kea is lovelier in terms of amenities.

I used up one of my expiring 50k FNAs for a Partial Ocean View King and was upgraded into a Premium Ocean View King on the North side of the resort. They were gracious enough to grant me a late 4PM checkout today which works well as I have a late evening redeye to the west coast.

I went over to the Mauna Kea last night for dinner at Manta and was very impressed with the offerings and the food was so goood! Service was top notch too though I’m keen on trying the Copperhead Bar for lunch today while I’m there for a meeting.

The Bonvoy Platinum Continental breakfast this morning at the Westin was a bit light on the palate so I opted to add on a side of island style fried rice for $7 and it was very savoury.

View of the Ocean from the Lobby.

The Mauna Kea Residences

View from my “Premium Oceanview” room.

Gorgeous Sunset from the Mauna Kea.

Frutti Di Mare… it was sooo good!

I echo what CMK10 posted earlier and would say that this is one of the best beach facing resorts on the Big Island.

Mahalo to all for their reviews and posts on here.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:25 pm

May visit with family (incl. 21 month old)

Hi folks, wanted to share our fantastic experience at this Westin and give thanks to the wonderful people in this thread that gave really good advice while we were deciding where to stay, what to do on the Big Island. Like Intl359Widget, we had a blast and thought the beach was awesome - better than any other my wife and I had been to in Hawaii.

Context: We - my wife, 21 month old son and myself - stayed for 5 nights (points + free night) in late May. We were mainly traveling to celebrate my wife's birthday and to have a nice destination for our son's first trip. Ambassador status.

Overall: Excellent hotel, beach, staff, amenities; good food, rooms and location; only a few nits. Would 100% stay here again and recommend others do as well (particularly families with young children)!

Positives:
Like others have mentioned, property is perfectly located on an amazing beach and you can tell from the moment you step into the open-air lobby.

Well-designed lobby

Check-in and room: Upon arrival (and after having some refreshing guava juice), we were upgraded to a Premier Ocean room - unfortunately our SNAs did not clear (oh well). The room was on the highest floor on the far (most southern) part of the hotel, so the view was quite nice. Also, I had mentioned to the hotel staff member who reached out ~1 week prior to our trip that we were celebrating my wife's birthday, and we were surprised with a very nice spread from the staff (who overall were super nice and friendly).

That cake was delicious...

Beach: This is one of the best beaches I've been to. The things we look for in a beach are: a) warm, clear water; b) soft, clean sand; c) not very crowded and it fulfilled all three. Our son was basically stuck on Pacific time, so we woke up at 4 - 5 am every day... but even by 9 or 10 am, there were still plenty of beach chairs available, which was a bit surprising to me. Water was perfect all day, unsurprisingly.

Not pictured: our son eating sand

Pools: One of our biggest questions about picking between this and Mauna Kea was around how family friendly each was. Someone shared up-thread that this Westin had 2 pools (one family; one adult), which was probably the biggest factor in us choosing this property. The family pool was great and consistently not overcrowded. There was a nice, quick food & drink place next to the pool, and the drinks were solid.

From family pool; half of my pictures from the trip were sunset pictures

Food: Generally the food was quite good (B+ hotel food). We did not make it to Mauna Kea, but did drive around to Kona and Waikoloa for local fare (poke!). We're big on breakfast, so did the upgrade from Platinum breakfast every day ($25/person/day). In theory we could have gotten by with the pastries and fruit, but we were on vaca, so wanted a bit more variety. Our son ate his weight in watermelon... the staff was overly generous in giving him a full plate of it each morning.

Checkout: We were granted 4 pm check-out, which afforded us an extra half day at the pool and was amazing.

Negatives: I wouldn't call these negatives per se, more nits:
  • Breakfast: Yes, it costs extra; no, it's not ideal. Hopefully this has been mentioned enough times where folks can make an informed decision prior to arrival
  • Location & food choices: In general, the seclusion is a big (+). However, if you want to try a lot of local restaurants, it is a bit lacking and you do have to drive a decent ways. There are great restaurants in Kona (although we would likely never stay there), Waikoloa was decent, but Waimea was disappointing in terms of food, to be honest
  • Resort fee + parking fee: Probably the biggest "negative" for me - I just hate paying both. Again, wasn't a surprise, but just annoying.
Overall, would definitely recommend! Hope this helps others and happy to any questions for those with upcoming travel to Hawaii.

Bonus pics:

Sunset from lobby

Super chill cat that lives on the property
bsdstone, valree, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Clearfield
Hi folks, wanted to share our fantastic experience at this Westin and give thanks to the wonderful people in this thread that gave really good advice while we were deciding where to stay, what to do on the Big Island. Like Intl359Widget, we had a blast and thought the beach was awesome - better than any other my wife and I had been to in Hawaii.

Context: We - my wife, 21 month old son and myself - stayed for 5 nights (points + free night) in late May. We were mainly traveling to celebrate my wife's birthday and to have a nice destination for our son's first trip. Ambassador status.

Overall: Excellent hotel, beach, staff, amenities; good food, rooms and location; only a few nits. Would 100% stay here again and recommend others do as well (particularly families with young children)!

Positives:
Like others have mentioned, property is perfectly located on an amazing beach and you can tell from the moment you step into the open-air lobby.

Well-designed lobby

Check-in and room: Upon arrival (and after having some refreshing guava juice), we were upgraded to a Premier Ocean room - unfortunately our SNAs did not clear (oh well). The room was on the highest floor on the far (most southern) part of the hotel, so the view was quite nice. Also, I had mentioned to the hotel staff member who reached out ~1 week prior to our trip that we were celebrating my wife's birthday, and we were surprised with a very nice spread from the staff (who overall were super nice and friendly).

That cake was delicious...

Beach: This is one of the best beaches I've been to. The things we look for in a beach are: a) warm, clear water; b) soft, clean sand; c) not very crowded and it fulfilled all three. Our son was basically stuck on Pacific time, so we woke up at 4 - 5 am every day... but even by 9 or 10 am, there were still plenty of beach chairs available, which was a bit surprising to me. Water was perfect all day, unsurprisingly.

Not pictured: our son eating sand

Pools: One of our biggest questions about picking between this and Mauna Kea was around how family friendly each was. Someone shared up-thread that this Westin had 2 pools (one family; one adult), which was probably the biggest factor in us choosing this property. The family pool was great and consistently not overcrowded. There was a nice, quick food & drink place next to the pool, and the drinks were solid.

From family pool; half of my pictures from the trip were sunset pictures

Food: Generally the food was quite good (B+ hotel food). We did not make it to Mauna Kea, but did drive around to Kona and Waikoloa for local fare (poke!). We're big on breakfast, so did the upgrade from Platinum breakfast every day ($25/person/day). In theory we could have gotten by with the pastries and fruit, but we were on vaca, so wanted a bit more variety. Our son ate his weight in watermelon... the staff was overly generous in giving him a full plate of it each morning.

Checkout: We were granted 4 pm check-out, which afforded us an extra half day at the pool and was amazing.

Negatives: I wouldn't call these negatives per se, more nits:
  • Breakfast: Yes, it costs extra; no, it's not ideal. Hopefully this has been mentioned enough times where folks can make an informed decision prior to arrival
  • Location & food choices: In general, the seclusion is a big (+). However, if you want to try a lot of local restaurants, it is a bit lacking and you do have to drive a decent ways. There are great restaurants in Kona (although we would likely never stay there), Waikoloa was decent, but Waimea was disappointing in terms of food, to be honest
  • Resort fee + parking fee: Probably the biggest "negative" for me - I just hate paying both. Again, wasn't a surprise, but just annoying.
Overall, would definitely recommend! Hope this helps others and happy to any questions for those with upcoming travel to Hawaii.

Bonus pics:

Sunset from lobby

Super chill cat that lives on the property
Thanks for sharing your experience in May! I will say that as an Ambassador, I’ve been spoiled by European and Middle Eastern resorts where I’d have a bottle of wine or champagne in the room but didn’t receive anything during my stay so it’s refreshing to see that they went above and beyond for your wife’s birthday!
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Thanks for sharing your experience in May! I will say that as an Ambassador, I’ve been spoiled by European and Middle Eastern resorts where I’d have a bottle of wine or champagne in the room but didn’t receive anything during my stay so it’s refreshing to see that they went above and beyond for your wife’s birthday!
Yes, I know what you mean. Our best experience was at RC Tokyo for our honeymoon pre-Covid.

I’ve generally had fairly good luck over the past few years… at regular hotels for personal travel, we may get some snacks and maybe a cheaper bottle of wine, but fairly consistently for special occasions, we’ll get something like the pic above, especially after mentioning said occasion to the ambassador team (such as it is now).
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:24 pm

Lovely hotel

Booked a regular partial ocean view room. Upgraded to premier oceanfront, higher floor room a few days before check in, and then upgraded to a Lanai one bedroom suite upon check in. Really enjoying our stay. I am a Platinum member.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just spend a week here. Thanks for all the prior posts in this thread on what to expect.

Resort and parking fees are what it is. Properly disclosed so one can make an informed choice on deciding where to stay.

Hotel did add a $3/day legacy reforestation fee. It appears a number of resorts are here are signing up to be carbon neutral. Hotel didn’t disclosed this fee at check-in. This can be removed upon request.

Hotel offers complimentary self service laundry on 6th floor. Laundry supplies provided. Just be respectful and don’t hog up multiple machines and/or leave your laundry unattended at end of cycle.

As mentioned in prior posts, continental breakfast is included for platinum and above if selected in lieu of points. You can ask for more pastries and fruits so no worries about not enough; asked for more papaya and got a whole fruit sliced in half. They may also have some seasonal fruits off menu included upon request such as dragonfruit.

Folio shows the platinum breakfast is $30 per person (waived); I tipped based on that amount.

Buffet is $25 for platinum or $45 for non status. IMO it is barely worth it at $25 and definitely not $45 even with resort pricing.

Dining options in this part is limited to resort offerings; with pricing to reflect captive audience. The closest off-resort town with dining is going to be Waimea or Waikoloa Village (Hilton). Kailua-Kona Is a good 45 minute drive. Most places appear to have last seating around 9 so plan ahead if you want to dine at to Kailua-Kona.

Late August appears to be off-peak/shoulder. No crowds at the pool/beach. Was able to get chairs even at 10AM. Nighttime volcano parking lot was readily available. Restaurant reservations readily available even day of.

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 29, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Quick Q on the rooms- do the non-suite rooms have a mini fridge?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by magendim
Quick Q on the rooms- do the non-suite rooms have a mini fridge?
All rooms have mini fridge.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I think the resort fee and breakfast get mentioned here so often because just 4 years ago their (lower) resort fee included parking and the full buffet breakfast was also included for Plat and higher. More points, more dollars, less value from a place that used to really get it right.

I shifted my neighbor island stays from the Wailea Marriott to the Westin Hapuna because they were so much more elite friendly. Until recently they weren’t
3rdworldresident likes this.

Last edited by cmculp; Sep 13, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Staying here at the Westin now and here for another few days. Will echo what other recent reviews have stated, particularly 359Widget above. I booked a partial ocean view on points (250K for a week) and was upgraded to a premier ocean view on the top floor. No suite upgrades available. This is the hottest time of year so not particularly crowded and fairly easy to get chairs by the pools and beach. Very nice resort, facilities and staff is very good. Hapuna beach is gorgeous and all my local friends said it's the best one on the island. Downside of the location is it's away from everything so it's a bit of drive to do anything off resort. I'd also give the restaurants a B+ on the food and going to try Manta at Mauna Kea tonight.

Same nits as the other folks - Standard room pricing is $700-800/night so ridiculous that they charge resort & parking fees on top of that. The full breakfast buffet should also just be comped for the higher tier Bonvoy guests vs $25.
bsdstone and valree like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.