Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old May 15, 22, 5:06 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 21, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Just wrapped up a stay here. I've stayed at the Mauna Kea a number of times and I stayed here pre and post the Westin reflagging. Honestly, we loved it. If it was just my wife and I, maybe I would choose the Mauna Kea, but we had our daughter...a king with a roll away was awesome. It's cheaper and less pretentious than the Mauna Kea and overall it's a pretty good product. The beach is bigger and in some ways better (my opinion).

As a side note, the open air design prevented me from having to wear a mask almost at all (hallelujah!). The plat breakfast wasn't as good as pre-covid but it honestly it was better than I've had at several other similar properties and beats the Hilton change. Saw a 5 ft reef shark snorkeling along the coast headed north (towards the Mauna Kea)....passed us from behind and my daughter about lost it. pretty cool.
Old Aug 16, 21, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Ambassador Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star
This might be a tough thing to compare, but how does this property line up with the Marriott Wailea? We've stayed at the Marriott Wailea before. Doing half our trip on Oahu (picked Westin Moana Surfrider) and figuring out the second half. I haven't been to Big Island in years (2007) and thought maybe this would be a good time but we also loved our time on Maui at the Marriott Wailea.

Staying points, Titanium Elite.
Old Aug 16, 21, 2:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mciampa View Post
This might be a tough thing to compare, but how does this property line up with the Marriott Wailea? We've stayed at the Marriott Wailea before. Doing half our trip on Oahu (picked Westin Moana Surfrider) and figuring out the second half. I haven't been to Big Island in years (2007) and thought maybe this would be a good time but we also loved our time on Maui at the Marriott Wailea.

So I stayed at the Westin Hapuna Beach two years ago. I stayed just up the road from the Marriott Wailea in Maui a couple of weeks ago. Thought I did not stay the night there, the Westin is by far better. The Westin Hapuna Beach is directly beach front and offers chairs and beach service. The Marriott Wailea is water front, but you have to walk a bit to reach the beach in either direction. The Marriott is located right near a major shopping center and is the access center to the beach for said shopping center. Westin Hapuna Beach is much more exclusive and beach front. Marriott rooms seemed much smaller too. I would say Westin Hapuna Beach is overall nicer in every measure.
Old Aug 16, 21, 2:33 pm

Programs: None - previously UA

When is your planned stay, things not looking good on the big island at the moment.
Old Aug 16, 21, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
When is your planned stay, things not looking good on the big island at the moment.
We are looking at early December. What do you mean by not looking good?
Old Aug 16, 21, 3:29 pm

We are looking at early December. What do you mean by not looking good?
December should be fine, I would say August, September and maybe October travel is at risk.This is what I am referring to:
https://www.kitv.com/story/44524474/...breaking-point
Old Aug 17, 21, 9:39 pm

This might be a tough thing to compare, but how does this property line up with the Marriott Wailea?
We've stayed at both multiple times... For me, just about everything at the Hapuna is better with the exception that it is fairly isolated. Although there are times that is just what I'm looking for. We like the Wailea area a ton but the thought of walking to the beach down the sidewalk always makes me cringe, although depending on where your room is on the properties the closest room at the marriott might be closer than the farthest room at the westin. Both properties are nice and have good features...

The isolation is mostly problematic at dinner time as you will have to drive around unless you want the same dinner over and over...
bizum and mciampa like this.
Old Aug 18, 21, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by davidsc111 View Post
We've stayed at both multiple times... For me, just about everything at the Hapuna is better with the exception that it is fairly isolated. Although there are times that is just what I'm looking for. We like the Wailea area a ton but the thought of walking to the beach down the sidewalk always makes me cringe, although depending on where your room is on the properties the closest room at the marriott might be closer than the farthest room at the westin. Both properties are nice and have good features...

The isolation is mostly problematic at dinner time as you will have to drive around unless you want the same dinner over and over...
We're probably not renting a car (maybe one of the days) due to the insane rental car prices, at least right now. One thought I had though was, for a change of pace could you go have dinner at the Mauna Kea? Is it relatively easy to shuttle back and forth?
Old Aug 18, 21, 8:08 am

My other question is, how difficult is it to walk between Mauna Kea Beach and Hapuna Beach? Is that something that's possible (with a 3 year old who can walk probably 30 mins max)?
Old Aug 18, 21, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
My other question is, how difficult is it to walk between Mauna Kea Beach and Hapuna Beach? Is that something that's possible (with a 3 year old who can walk probably 30 mins max)?
It is possible, but I wouldn't do it. It's about a 30 min hilly walk between the two. There is also a trail, but again, with a 3 year old I wouldn't want to do it.
I believe there is a shuttle between the two that runs IIRC.
mciampa likes this.
Old Aug 18, 21, 5:11 pm

We're probably not renting a car (maybe one of the days) due to the insane rental car prices, at least right now. One thought I had though was, for a change of pace could you go have dinner at the Mauna Kea? Is it relatively easy to shuttle back and forth?
The shuttle runs multiple times every night...
mciampa likes this.
Old Aug 21, 21, 4:43 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, SW Companion Pass
Has anyone stayed recently (august) that had feedback on Platinum / Titanium breakfast benefit? Is it still a fruit plate and coffee?
Old Aug 21, 21, 8:09 pm

Be sure to make your Manta reservation well ahead of your stay.
Drplm308 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 21, 6:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade View Post
Has anyone stayed recently (august) that had feedback on Platinum / Titanium breakfast benefit? Is it still a fruit plate and coffee?
Yes. This is from my stay earlier this week (Sept). As shown in that wonderful trip report in post #279.
Paying $14 to upgrade to get an omelet sounds ridiculous.

Anyways, no upgrade for this Titanium. Was charged both $37 resort fees and $30 parking.
Old Sep 11, 21, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geclub1 View Post
Yes. This is from my stay earlier this week (Sept). As shown in that wonderful trip report in post #279.
Paying $14 to upgrade to get an omelet sounds ridiculous..
FWIW it was a really good omelet.

Search this Thread