Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard in Europe says $10 F+B credit for elites must be consumed by midnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyard in Europe says $10 F+B credit for elites must be consumed by midnight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

When i first read the OP I thought it was a point worth mentioning. What I took from it and some subsequent comments was that it is obvious that how the $10 credit is applied is not consistent and so it was worth knowing that was the case. To me what that means is on a one night stay, you may or may not be able to use it the next morning. On a multiple night stay it will only be on the last morning that it may or may not be applied. But in any case, it is only about $10 total and that is not something I bother wasting any time on arguing with a hotel over. The words 'petty' and 'penny pinching' come to mind. I'm surprised at how excited some posters seem to be about this. I would think there are far more important things to spend time and effort on in life. Sometimes, arguing something on 'principle' is really not worthwhile. Ask the hotel what their policy is if you are not sure and then plan accordingly if $10 is a big deal to you on your travels.

Fortunately, I don't run into that kind of issue since I avoid chain hotels whenever possible, staying in them only in N. America because there is little alternative and never in Europe where unique independent hotels are still very common. Perhaps that would be more worthwhile spending time thinking about. Why stay in a chain hotel when there are far more interesting hotels to stay in?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not this one again. Dude, you're literally on the Marriott Group thread discussing an issue with the Marriott Rewards scheme. Maybe not the right time & place?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not this one again. Dude, you're literally on the Marriott Group thread discussing an issue with the Marriott Rewards scheme. Maybe not the right time & place?
I'd say just ignore and carry on with the topic. Not worth engaging.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by funkbandit
For the sake of simplicity just assume that a net price for a good represents its value. And usually it's the consumer of a good that ends up paying the tax.
In many European countries, VAT is itemized separately on grocery and restaurant bills.
When MR rolled this out to the properties ... most of whom are franchised properties ... I'm sure there was some fuss since this effectively lowers the net room revenue from a guest. So Marriott said ...(1) this is offset by the cost from the former points you were purchasing, (2) $10 isn't really $10 since the hotel has some profit associated with the $10 spend -- or at least helps cover fixed overhead, and (3) some guests won't use some or all of the $10. VAT, of course, like all taxes is real money.

Unfortunately, some hotels focus on managing their expenses rather than seeing if they can maximize profits by increasing revenue and occupancy rates by taking care of their best customers.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Didn't the fellow who was interviewed about this just before Aug. 18 say explicitly that all brands were to provide a breakfast benefit?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I partially agree but I suspect it is like much of the information flow. No one in Bethesda could remotely imagine that someone in another part of the world would interpret a $10 credit per night to mean that it could only be used on the night of check-in.

Of course, by the time it rolled downhill to whomever had the franchise for an AC or a CY in a random European city, they interpreted per night differently.
If Marriott called it a daily credit, wouldn’t the problem be more than solved for customers? Yes.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Last week my Wife and I stayed in three European Courtyards - Katowice, Brno and Linz - also in the Moxy in Munich - at every hotel the F&B credit was given towards breakfast - no discussion and no hint that this may be against the rules.
At two of the hotels we were given physical vouchers to hand to the person seating us and at the other two, the credit had been applied to the bill at checkout.

Nick
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
The words 'petty' and 'penny pinching' come to mind.
ICYMI : in the context of this thread, these descriptors belong to Marriott, not the posters. @:-)

Let's focus on adding more useful datapoints and experiences, and hopefully getting an official response too.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
To me, it seems that the upper level European Regional folks have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here, and it's going to take high up corporate in the states to let them know that they've interpreted incorrectly.

​​​​​​In other words, when they stick to the anti-breakfast stance, they're actually saying what they truly believe.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember this is the chain that never did anything for elite recognition/benefits.
Give the Aberdeen Courtyard their dues they treated me better as a gold member than what I got at the full service Marriott in Aberdeen. We'd get welcome drink vouchers and bottles of water on arrival. In the room there was a welcome gift (fruit or chocolates) and more bottles of water too. My first stay on being re-graded to Platinum had me getting those exact same benefits.

I stayed at the Aberdeen Courtyard the other weekend and had no issues at all using my $10 (£7 odds) credit towards my breakfast. They did try and charge me for the full £10 when I checked out until I reminded them of the credit, which was quickly actioned, and thus my bill reduced. No mention at all that the credit had to be used before midnight.

​​​​​​​
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by funkbandit
For the sake of simplicity just assume that a net price for a good represents its value. And usually it's the consumer of a good that ends up paying the tax.
In many European countries, VAT is itemized separately on grocery and restaurant bills.
my invoice had food and vat itemized. Only the food portion was removed from the folio.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I was away for a bit and remembered this thread... now buried 7 to 8 pages into the forum only after a few days!
@SanDiego1K any updates or anything you might have heard from Starriott or the Lurkers?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:41 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I was away for a bit and remembered this thread... now buried 7 to 8 pages into the forum only after a few days!
@SanDiego1K any updates or anything you might have heard from Starriott or the Lurkers?
Nothing - but I would hope this has started discussion in corporate offices about the discrepancy in execution of the benefit and the absurdity of how it is interpreted by some hotels.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott PPE,
I have been traveling to Saint Petersburg and Moscow this month for multiple one night stays and staying in different Marriott properties. At the Courtyards I was given $10 per guest (2 guests) to be used anywhere for each day of stay, not until midnight of arrival. I also stayed at three bdifferent Courtyards at Yonkers and NYC last month, all gave me $10 per room to be used anytime during the stay. At all hotels, the credit could not be stacked, ie all of them to be used in one day together.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, is what OP described a fairy tale and the credit does not disappear at midnight [and turn into a pumpkin, for those who don't see what I am trying to do]

Originally Posted by Alexflyer
I have been traveling to Saint Petersburg and Moscow this month for multiple one night stays and staying in different Marriott properties. At the Courtyards I was given $10 per guest (2 guests) to be used anywhere for each day of stay, not until midnight of arrival. I also stayed at three bdifferent Courtyards at Yonkers and NYC last month, all gave me $10 per room to be used anytime during the stay. At all hotels, the credit could not be stacked, ie all of them to be used in one day together.
Now we have another problem for "room" vs "guest" ... boy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.