Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cash + Points General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash + Points General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I can't find or figure out how to book via C&P despite the benefit list saying there still is C&P. I don't know if this is a avenued that has been Bonvoyed intentionally or a Bonvoyed technical glitch.

When will Oxford Dictionary include Bonvoyed: to be screwed, to reduce benefits.

Gosh, I need to figure out how to to include Bonvoyed into my next book. Crestfallen, Jack realized he had been Bonvoyed as he read the letter placed beside his bedstand. His fiancee left him and took all the jewelry... and the dog.
You've searched for the property on marriott.com and checked the box "Use Points" when you search?

Find the hotel you want, click "View Rates" and the cash rates / point rates will appear. Click the "+ Customize payments" and you'll see the cash breakdown and the points breakdown per night.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You've searched for the property on marriott.com and checked the box "Use Points" when you search?

Find the hotel you want, click "View Rates" and the cash rates / point rates will appear. Click the "+ Customize payments" and you'll see the cash breakdown and the points breakdown per night.
Thanks. Have tried this on numerous properties on app and Mac.. I only get points or cash option. I am not sure if technical or Marriott program is issue.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Thanks. Have tried this on numerous properties on app and Mac.. I only get points or cash option. I am not sure if technical or Marriott program is issue.
I picked a random property in London for random dates in April and this worked. I'm trying on Mac. Give me a property and dates and I'll at least validate if I'm seeing similar results?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Good to hear you are seeing. Must be a technical issue (I've had terrible ones). I had barely stayed in a Marriott before Intrgration so just thought c&p not part of program or taken away.

I just searched Hotel Wilson LC in Geneva for May 9-11. I see cash or 85,000 points. I don't see.c&p.

Also Shanghai St Regis for March 9 for one night. Same. Only points and cash

Thanks for checking
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

That’s a different thing than what is being discussed here. Cash & Points is a rate plan where each individual night is paid with a set combination of points and cash, even on a one-night stay. This rate plan used to be extremely common with SPG, but now can be found only rarely on Bonvoy. It’s a pity because it could be very convenient.
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Make your own! One night cash, one night points. You’ll probably come out way ahead of Bonfire’s new C&P rates plus your cash nights will be eligible for promos.
yule_boy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:40 am

Thank god someone brought up this topic. Always wondered what happened to all my fav c+p redemptions?? Phuket/Bangkok has practically zero now...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:57 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
This thread is talking about Marriott’s new (And SPG Old) cash and points in this chart below NOT about Marriott’s pay full price cash, pay full price points create your own cash and points stay.

Though its advertised on Marriott.com it simple isn’t available to book (less than 1% of all Marriott hotels seem to be offering this). It used to be a widely available SPG feature that Marriott claims to have implemented but it’s a bunch of BS. It’s either a massive technical IT glitch that it’s not available (surprise surprise) or its just plain not available to book at almost every single property because we’ve been Bonvoyed again with loss of a feature/perk in the new Bonvoy program. Hotel Category Off Peak(Coming Soon)

StandardPeak(Coming Soon)1 50 USD + 2,500 Points55 USD + 3,500

Points60 USD + 4,500 Points260 USD + 5,000 Points65 USD + 6,000

Points70 USD + 6,500 Points370 USD + 7,500 Points80 USD + 8,500

Points90 USD + 9,000 Points490 USD + 10,000 Points105 USD + 12,000

Points120 USD + 13,500 Points5120 USD + 16,000 Points140 USD +

17,000 Points165 USD + 19,000 Points6165 USD + 22,000 Points190 USD

25,000 Points225 USD + 27,500 Points7225 USD + 27,500 Points250 USD

30,000 Points325 USD + 35,000 Points8325 USD + 35,000 Points440 USD

42,500 Points635 USD + 50,000 Points

Last edited by Bigshaker; Mar 9, 2019 at 7:58 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
This thread is talking about Marriott’s new (And SPG Old) cash and points in this chart below NOT about Marriott’s pay full price cash, pay full price points create your own cash and points stay.

Though its advertised on Marriott.com it simple isn’t available to book (less than 1% of all Marriott hotels seem to be offering this). It used to be a widely available SPG feature that Marriott claims to have implemented but it’s a bunch of BS. It’s either a massive technical IT glitch that it’s not available (surprise surprise) or its just plain not available to book at almost every single property because we’ve been Bonvoyed again with loss of a feature/perk in the new Bonvoy program. Hotel Category Off Peak(Coming Soon)

StandardPeak(Coming Soon)1 50 USD + 2,500 Points55 USD + 3,500

Points60 USD + 4,500 Points260 USD + 5,000 Points65 USD + 6,000

Points70 USD + 6,500 Points370 USD + 7,500 Points80 USD + 8,500

Points90 USD + 9,000 Points490 USD + 10,000 Points105 USD + 12,000

Points120 USD + 13,500 Points5120 USD + 16,000 Points140 USD +

17,000 Points165 USD + 19,000 Points6165 USD + 22,000 Points190 USD

25,000 Points225 USD + 27,500 Points7225 USD + 27,500 Points250 USD

30,000 Points325 USD + 35,000 Points8325 USD + 35,000 Points440 USD

42,500 Points635 USD + 50,000 Points
It has always been up to the properties to decide whether or not they want to offer cash and points. Apparently with Marriott they have less incentive to do so, and are overwhelmingly deciding not to offer cash and points.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:16 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
It has always been up to the properties to decide whether or not they want to offer cash and points. Apparently with Marriott they have less incentive to do so, and are overwhelmingly deciding not to offer cash and points.
If you have a Feature/Offering/Incentive for your Rewards Members and no one in the Hotel Group (16 out of 7000 is no one) follows the program offerings you list as a benefit of your rewards members, then it is pointless to advertise that offering and make it seem bookable when it’s not.

May as well just advertise $1 rooms to make the program seem great but if no property allows you to book it then why is it being advertised?! Making your rewards program seem great when it’s not.

Going further, the link in this thread to the cash and points award chart even advertises Low and Peak Season awards as “coming soon”. If they work like standard awards for cash and points then that’s a complete lie and joke. They shouldn’t be allowed to do this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bigshaker

If you have a Feature/Offering/Incentive for your Rewards Members and no one in the Hotel Group (16 out of 7000 is no one) follows the program offerings you list as a benefit of your rewards members, then it is pointless to advertise that offering and make it seem bookable when it’s not.

May as well just advertise $1 rooms to make the program seem great but if no property allows you to book it then why is it being advertised?! Making your rewards program seem great when it’s not.

Going further, the link in this thread to the cash and points award chart even advertises Low and Peak Season awards as “coming soon”. If they work like standard awards for cash and points then that’s a complete lie and joke. They shouldn’t be allowed to do this.
They are not requiredto offer and the program’s T&Cs clearly state
Participation in and availability of Cash + Points Awards are at the discretion of the Participating Property.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
They are not requiredto offer and the program’s T&Cs clearly state
The entire rewards program is subject to change by Marriott and has numerous TC’s. That not the point, it’s not really a rewards program benefit (Cash and Points) if every Hotel opts out of allowing bookings yet alone for Marriott to be promoting more cash and point options “coming soon”. Creating new Low, Standard and High season doesn’t make it a program benefit if you can’t actually book a room, anywhere, ever.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:02 am

Well, I tried asking Marriott and this is what they responded.
Hello Mr. Dang,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Marriott Bonvoy. It is my pleasure to assist your inquiry.

You can search for a stay that uses Marriott Rewards points for some nights and allows you to pay cash for the remaining nights. You also have the option of using a combination of cash and points for a single-night reservation. Information about this option is available on Marriott.com through the Cash + Points page.

When checking availability using Marriott.com, enter your desired location, the dates of your stay, the number of rooms and number of guests per room. Then, click the "Use Rewards points" checkbox and click "Find". A list of hotels with redemption availability will appear. Once you have identified a hotel, select the "Use Cash + Points" option at the bottom of the hotel information section. A calendar will display allowing you to choose points or cash for each night of your stay. However, as Cash and Points are not eligible to earn points, you would have to book the nights you are paying a eligible rate separately, in order to earn points. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mr. Dang, we truly appreciate your loyalty as a Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite member. We look forward to hosting your future stays at our many hotels and resorts worldwide.

See you again soon,
Since I didn't get a response to my question and maybe someone else has the same one, I just got back from booking 2 cash night + 2 award nights on the same reservation and did indeed get points for the cash nights. I only use my points when its is more than 1 cpp or if I stay 5 nights.
900 CNY (~134 USD)
900 CNY (~134 USD)
Award Night (1200 CNY: ~178 USD ) 17.5k Points
Award Night (1200 CNY: ~178 USD) 17.5k Points

Got about 2900 base points + 2100 Elite points + 3900 Extra for promotion
Old May 29, 2019, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
It seems that the "Customize Points & Cash" option appears or disappears depending on property, date and duration of stay. Does anyone know the formula ?
Old May 29, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have a friend who works for a MAR (limited service property)* They get C&P ressies all the time.

They got screwed a couple of days ago when they were sold out but MAR sold a C&P to a Titanium member literally the night before the stay. Because he was Titanium they couldn't walk him. So they ended up walking an Expedia reservation (who paid a lot more than the C&P ressie & had booked in advance!) to avoid the MAR penalty. The property they walked the Expedia to charged more to the property (holiday weekend) than the Expedia ressie covered, which was still substantially above what C&P was, so the property lost money.

The property often gets screwed by MARSHA overselling property & even though the property complains, MAR does jack squat about it & the property has to eat the difference.

* I get all the juicy stories w/ no personal details, over a glass of wine w/ a friend - who so far has also indulged me when I ask him questions that come up on FT as long as it doesn't expose his property.

Cheers.
EdV, est-gratuite and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.