Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cash + Points General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash + Points General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm going from memory here, but I think SPG you didn't but w/ MAR you did. Post 8/18, no idea.

Cheers.
Yes they did with SPG. I always encouraged people to create their own C&P by booking a reward night + a revenue night if you really need a C&P booking. In the olden days, the ones offered by SPG used to be excellent, but they enhanced them about 4 years ago, and they've been almost worthless since. Since they were further enhanced by Marriott, there is no way I would ever consider a C&P booking. Luckily, they are rarely offered.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I remember having a (pre-8/18) stay where I used a cert for one night and paid cash for the rest of the stay, and did receive points for the cash nights. The cert and cash nights were under 2 separate reservations.

You did forget to factor in one thing: if you reserve 4 nights on points, you're eligible to get a 5th night free. So those 70,000 points could get you 5 nights rather than 4 - and conversely, if you can't / don't want to stay a 5th night, it's a waste of points if you can use them later for a 5-night stay.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:02 pm

​​​​
Originally Posted by Twickenham
I remember having a (pre-8/18) stay where I used a cert for one night and paid cash for the rest of the stay, and did receive points for the cash nights. The cert and cash nights were under 2 separate reservations.

You did forget to factor in one thing: if you reserve 4 nights on points, you're eligible to get a 5th night free. So those 70,000 points could get you 5 nights rather than 4 - and conversely, if you can't / don't want to stay a 5th night, it's a waste of points if you can use them later for a 5-night stay.
I'm just using the 4 nights as an example for my question. In your case, you used 2 separate reservation. My whole point of my question was if that reservation was only 1 reservation instead of 2. The reservation with 1 award night and the rest of the reservation was cash, would you still get points? By Marriott FAQ, it states Cash + Point earn no points for the cash portion of the reservation but is it counting only the real Cash + Point such as $70 + 8000 points for 1 night or does it include the first night award, and 2nd night cash? Both situation is consider Cash + Point.

It doesn't make sense they would give no points for the full cash night unless you book separate reservation for each night. In the example of the case of cash, award, cash, award, you would need to create 4 reservations to get points for 2 nights.

margarita girl kinda answered it for SPG but with her statement about the C&P being worthless and not offered(The cash or points option is always offered so I don't think she understand what I was asking), I think she is talking about the $70 + 8000 point situation for one night instead of the situation I'm asking about $50 for 1 night and 17,000 points for 2nd night.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes they did with SPG. I always encouraged people to create their own C&P by booking a reward night + a revenue night if you really need a C&P booking. In the olden days, the ones offered by SPG used to be excellent, but they enhanced them about 4 years ago, and they've been almost worthless since. Since they were further enhanced by Marriott, there is no way I would ever consider a C&P booking. Luckily, they are rarely offered.
I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, its just I'm confused about this question and don't want to waste extra cash or points or create 5 reservations just to get points for the nights I actually paid when I can create only 2-3 reservations.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Does Cash and points still exist?

Does Cash + Points still exist like it did at SPG? If so, how do I find it? I see how to "combine" cash and points when booking, but that is only paying full rates for one or the other. But nothing like what SPG used to have.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Does Cash + Points still exist like it did at SPG? If so, how do I find it? I see how to "combine" cash and points when booking, but that is only paying full rates for one or the other. But nothing like what SPG used to have.
It's a property prerogative so don't expect it everywhere.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:26 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
There is a web site page but you can’t actually book a cash and points rate using the web site or the app. At least I haven’t figured out how to book a cash and points stay yet this year. I tried random different hotels, different cities, really offpeak days with rates under $100 no luck at all.
I haven’t actually called to try to book since Marriott CS is so painful to deal with on the phone.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...cash-points.mi

Just another example of Marriott’s complete ignorance and treatment of its members. Let’s advertise the feature, post a link to how it works but not let anyone actually be able to book it.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:29 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
nominally, it exists.
in practice, not so much.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Bigshaker

There is a web site page but you can’t actually book a cash and points rate using the web site or the app. At least I haven’t figured out how to book a cash and points stay yet this year. I tried random different hotels, different cities, really offpeak days with rates under $100 no luck at all.
I haven’t actually called to try to book since Marriott CS is so painful to deal with on the phone.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...cash-points.mi

Just another example of Marriott’s complete ignorance and treatment of its members. Let’s advertise the feature, post a link to how it works but not let anyone actually be able to book it.
I tried your link and I was able to get to the point of booking the rez but blocked saying I was not able to purchase the required points because my account is too new (25 year Plat, 37 all) or I have purchased the limit for the year (0 points purchased). So yes, IT has more work to do. However, when getting to that point it appeared only about a dozen properties in the USA offered true C&P rates and they showed dates available (not year round). And you had to request point rates and then select Customize.

I'm wondering if IT is trying to be as difficult as CS to win a big trophy at the end of the year?
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:06 am

Wow. I had no idea bonvoy limited C&P to practically nothing. The bottom of that page lists only 6 participating US properties and 10 ex-US.

Florida

Orlando World Center Marriott
- February 18 - March 29, 2019

Louisiana

Le Méridien New Orleans
- February 7, 10-14, 18-22, 24-28, 2019
- March 6-14, 18-21, 25-28, 2019
- March 31 - April 4, 2019

North Carolina

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
- January 10 - December 31, 2019

Pennsylvania

Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg West
- January 8 - May 31, 2019

Tennessee

Four Points by Sheraton Nashville Airport
- February 4 - April 1, 2019

Fairfield Inn & Suites Clarksville

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Residence Inn Sarajevo
- January 8 - March 31, 2019

Canada

Four Points by Sheraton Moncton
- January 1 - June 30, 2019
- September 1 - December 31, 2019

Four Points by Sheraton Edmundston
- December 1 - March 31, 2019

Delta Hotels by Marriott Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
- February 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, 2019
- March 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, 31, 2019
- April 1-4, 7-11, 14-18, 21-25, 28-30, 2019
- May 1-2, 5-9, 12-16, 2019

China

Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
- February 11 - March 4, 2019

Costa Rica

W Costa Rica - Reserva Conchal
- January 17 - November 30, 2019

Indonesia

The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
- January 18 - December 31, 2019

Malaysia

Kota Kinabalu Marriott Hotel
- February 18 - June 30, 2019

Portugal

Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort
- January 1 - February 28, 2019

UK

Great Northern Hotel, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, London
- January 11 - December 31, 2019
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by rrgg
Wow. I had no idea bonvoy limited C&P to practically nothing. The bottom of that page lists only 6 participating US properties and 10 ex-US.

Florida

Orlando World Center Marriott
- February 18 - March 29, 2019

Louisiana

Le Méridien New Orleans
- February 7, 10-14, 18-22, 24-28, 2019
- March 6-14, 18-21, 25-28, 2019
- March 31 - April 4, 2019

North Carolina

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
- January 10 - December 31, 2019

Pennsylvania

Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg West
- January 8 - May 31, 2019

Tennessee

Four Points by Sheraton Nashville Airport

Fairfield Inn & Suites Clarksville

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Residence Inn Sarajevo
- January 8 - March 31, 2019

Canada

Four Points by Sheraton Moncton
- January 1 - June 30, 2019
- September 1 - December 31, 2019

Four Points by Sheraton Edmundston
- December 1 - March 31, 2019

Delta Hotels by Marriott Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
- February 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, 2019
- March 3-7, 10-14, 17-21, 24-28, 31, 2019
- April 1-4, 7-11, 14-18, 21-25, 28-30, 2019
- May 1-2, 5-9, 12-16, 2019

China

Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
- February 11 - March 4, 2019

Costa Rica

W Costa Rica - Reserva Conchal
- January 17 - November 30, 2019

Indonesia

The Ritz-Carlton, Bali
- January 18 - December 31, 2019

Malaysia

Kota Kinabalu Marriott Hotel
- February 18 - June 30, 2019

Portugal

Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort
- January 1 - February 28, 2019

UK

Great Northern Hotel, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, London
- January 11 - December 31, 2019

Wow I didn’t see that section of hotels with available dates, thanks for pointing that out.
That is truley beyond pathetic. So out of 7354 Marriott hotels worldwide 16 are available for the new cash and points bookings (old style SPG cash and points formula).

I also noticed this gem of fine print on the cash and points link.

“The Cash + Points structure is subject to modification, cancellation or limitation at the discretion of Marriott Bonvoy with or without notice”

Marriott just treats its members like...you know what. Why even claim to have a new cash and points program when it’s barely even a measurable fraction of hotels you can book at.

I’m just completey floored by this. A new low for Marriott and their Bonvoy Program.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:51 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bigshaker

Wow I didn’t see that section of hotels with available dates, thanks for pointing that out.
That is truley beyond pathetic. So out of 7354 Marriott hotels worldwide 16 are available for the new cash and points bookings (old style SPG cash and points formula).

I also noticed this gem of fine print on the cash and points link.

“The Cash + Points structure is subject to modification, cancellation or limitation at the discretion of Marriott Bonvoy with or without notice”

Marriott just treats its members like...you know what. Why even claim to have a new cash and points program when it’s barely even a measurable fraction of hotels you can book at.

I’m just completey floored by this. A new low for Marriott and their Bonvoy Program.
This is not a comprehensive list of hotels offering C&P. I was looking a few properties in DC/VA not on the list and they were offering cash and points despite not being on the list. I'm not sure what that is a list 'of'.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
That's not an exhaustive list of Cash & Points properties, though.

For example:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...esort-and-spa/
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
This is not a comprehensive list of hotels offering C&P. I was looking a few properties in DC/VA not on the list and they were offering cash and points despite not being on the list. I'm not sure what that is a list 'of'.
Originally Posted by jerry305
That's not an exhaustive list of Cash & Points properties, though.

For example:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...esort-and-spa/
Another example of Marriott ineptitude I guess.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SPG offer cash and points at all (or almost all) of its properties before being bought out by Marriott ?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I can't find or figure out how to book via C&P despite the benefit list saying there still is C&P. I don't know if this is a avenued that has been Bonvoyed intentionally or a Bonvoyed technical glitch.

When will Oxford Dictionary include Bonvoyed: to be screwed, to reduce benefits.

Gosh, I need to figure out how to to include Bonvoyed into my next book. Crestfallen, Jack realized he had been Bonvoyed as he read the letter placed beside his bedstand. His fiancee left him and took all the jewelry... and the dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.