Three rooms????

Old Sep 4, 18, 9:11 am
xar
Original Poster

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Plat member with Multiple Rooms

Hi all,
I'm a PPE traveling with family for vacation with 4 rooms booked under my name.

Question:
1. Generally, how is the treatment like meaning do they only upgrade the room the member is in or there are 'chances' for multiple upgrades? Late check out?
2. I assume the breakfast will only be granted to the member + 1. (and/or one welcome gift)
3. I can collect points for only 3 out of the 4 rooms and elite night credit will only be for the room the member is staying in?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:48 am

1. YMMV. Really depends on the property. SPG properties I stayed in the past upgraded my other rooms to club room while 1 room was upgraded to suite. Marriott properties followed the rules more closely and gave the bare minimum. Late checkout for 1 room, the other rooms need to be checkout by noon.

2. Yes.

3. Yes (unless the rules have changed post-merger?)
xar and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:53 am

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Three rooms????

Hello:

I currently have three rooms I am paying for at a Sheraton. As I can no longer receive night credit for all three rooms.....is it best to have 1 master bill put together and just receive all my credits that way? Or best to continue to have three separate room bills as I did for Starwood. My experience is that with Marriott when I have had three separate bills I only usually receive credit for 1? What to do? Thanks in advance! NYC
Old Sep 18, 18, 11:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
The most likely outcome from any of your approaches will be points for all three rooms and night/stay credit for 1 room. But I guess if your hoping for a "mistake" that might get you night/stay credits for all 3 rooms, I'd go with the 3 separate bills. Do note that even if you were to get "lucky" and receive multiple night/stay credits, should Marriott audit your account (and I might guess they do random audits, but no idea how often) those night/stay credits could "disappear" with no notice or trace.

So if it were me, I'd just go with whichever way is the easiest on you and not expect anything more than nights/stays for 1 room.
Old Sep 18, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Be careful.

My understanding is that if the rooms are on a master bill, you do not earn points on the rooms.

So . . . which is more valuable to you? Points or stay credit? If stay credit, you can master bill and hope for there to be a mistake but I think it is unlikely and as hhope01 pointed out, an auditor could adjust it. If points, do not master bill.

By the way, I have had points removed by auditors before. I guess the original CSR that posted the points for the hotel stay (it was a complicated stay) had miscalculated or something and one day, I noticed that I was missing about 100K points. I called in and learned that an auditor had adjusted the balance. There was no phone call, email or letter - it was just done. Of course, they had every right to do it if it was posted incorrectly, but the point is that as hhope01 mentioned, there is no notice.

Last edited by sinfonia; Sep 18, 18 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd avoid using the word "master bill" which AFAIK has a contractual meaning in the industry. I don't think this is the same as just having all three rooms on the same bill.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler View Post
Hello:

I currently have three rooms I am paying for at a Sheraton. As I can no longer receive night credit for all three rooms.....is it best to have 1 master bill put together and just receive all my credits that way? Or best to continue to have three separate room bills as I did for Starwood. My experience is that with Marriott when I have had three separate bills I only usually receive credit for 1? What to do? Thanks in advance! NYC
To get a "master bill" you would need to negotiate a contract with the property, so presuming you really mean combine the folios to a single bill. Yes, that would be the best to make it easier to get points for all three rooms. FDCs may not be too familiar how to do this, so you may want to plan a visit to the front desk the night before or morning of departure and work out the details. It should be easy to get them to move the charges but again better if you are in front of them.
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is using the wrong term. He does not mean a "master bill" rather he simply wants what are currently three folios consolidated into one.

My recommendation is to do nothing. You appear to be mid-stay and it is very, very unlikely that the manner in which the rooms are presented to you will affect the credit you receive. Thus, you are just making work for yourself and the property. In fact, you are increasing the risk that someone asks themselves why anyone would bother. The answer to that question is a bad one.

Just take the three statements, let them all get billed to the CC on file and be done with it. If you erroneously receive more credit than due, hope that it stays that way.
Old Sep 18, 18, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP is using the wrong term. He does not mean a "master bill" rather he simply wants what are currently three folios consolidated into one.

My recommendation is to do nothing. You appear to be mid-stay and it is very, very unlikely that the manner in which the rooms are presented to you will affect the credit you receive. Thus, you are just making work for yourself and the property. In fact, you are increasing the risk that someone asks themselves why anyone would bother. The answer to that question is a bad one.

Just take the three statements, let them all get billed to the CC on file and be done with it. If you erroneously receive more credit than due, hope that it stays that way.
But OP is entitled to the program points from at least one other room (I think I recall seeing MPG is only allowing credit for up to two rooms, but maybe three). The night auditor might not know how to let that happen and I've read reports where the points didn't post and the member had to deal with missing points. Taking care of this up front should make everything easier.
Old Sep 19, 18, 2:24 am

Post Merger SPG Members WON'T Earn Nights on up to 3 Rooms!

I was told by a member of staff at SPG via email that since the merger in August a member won't be able to earn nights on more than 1 room per stay (previously one could earn on up to 3 rooms), now the nights will only be for 1 room BUT points of up to 3 rooms may still be earned per stay.

This will make it much more difficult to renew Platinum each year.
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adityashah1989 View Post
I was told by a member of staff at SPG via email that since the merger in August a member won't be able to earn nights on more than 1 room per stay (previously one could earn on up to 3 rooms), now the nights will only be for 1 room BUT points of up to 3 rooms may still be earned per stay.

MR rules, nothing new here.
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott Bonvoy Amb, Hertz-PC
I am also a lifetime PPE member and when booking for travel, summer times is family bookings: 1-2 rooms, Nov-May is work bookings 3-25 rooms for at least 3 days, up to 10 days each. In either case, I've always booked all rooms under my name, then applied actual names when checking in. To get credit for more than 3 rooms, you can talk to the property manager and have them create a 'meeting' - then you can get credit for all the rooms, even if not using any meeting space.

Currently on MR website (Loyalty FAQ):

Can I earn Points on multiple rooms?
Yes. As long as one room is occupied by the Member, your membership number is on each room, and you are paying for each room with the same nights as yours, a Member can earn Points for up to three rooms and Elite Night Credit for the room they personally stay in.

How many rooms can I earn Points for per stay at participating properties?
Members can earn Points for up to three guest rooms with the same stay dates at a participating property when (1) each room is paid for by the Member and all charges are settled at check-out; and (2) one room is occupied by the Member.

My Marriott experience was commonly upgrading two rooms, SPG rooms were harder to come by, even with Suite Night Awards upgrade certs.

With Marriott, I've nearly always gotten brekky for up to three rooms - SPG: always only one. Post merger, dunno.
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
I really wish they would let us earn night credits on three rooms until the end of the year at least - otherwise impossible for me to get to LPP.
Old Sep 24, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by adityashah1989 View Post

Good.
fdem likes this.