Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Melbourne, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast

AC Hotel Melbourne Southbank, 201 Normanby Road, Southbank Melbourne web site
FT thread-->AC Hotel by Marriott Melbourne Southbank - Australia

Courtyard Flagstaff Gardens by Marriott, 50 Batman Street, West Melbourne web site
FT thread-->Courtyard Melbourne Flagstaff Gardens [Master Thread]

Element Melbourne Richmond, 588 Swan Street, Richmond Melbourne web site
FT thread-->Element Melbourne Richmond - Australia [Master Thread]

Four Points by Sheraton Melbourne Docklands, 443 Docklands Drive, Docklands Melbourne web site
FT thread-->Four Points Docklands - Melbourne, Australia [Master Thread]

Le Méridien Melbourne, 20 Bourke Street, Melbourne web site
FT thread-->Le Méridien Melbourne, Australia, Opening March 2023

Marriott Melbourne Hotel, Corner Exhibition & Lonsdale Streets Melbourne. web site
FT thread --> Melbourne Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Melbourne Marriott Hotel Docklands, 15 Waterfront Way, Docklands Melbourne web site
FT thread-->M Club to make Australian debut at Melbourne Marriott Docklands

Sheraton, 27 Little Collins Street Melbourne. web site
FT thread -->Sheraton Melbourne, Australia [Master Thread]

The Ritz-Carlton, 650 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. web site
FT thread --> Ritz Carlton Melbourne, Australia [Master Thread]

Westin, 205 Collins Street Melbourne. web site
FT thread -->Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

W,408 Flinders Lane Melbourne web site
FT thread-->W Melbourne [Master Thread]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC

I'm off to Melbourne on holiday early next year. I've got a 7-night cat 5 travel package to use. For a while there was no Marriott availability and SPG properties weren't bookable, but now the former has opened up and (if rumours from SPG agents are to be believed!!) the latter may be bookable from 20th Sept.

The three options are:
  • Marriott Melbourne
  • The Westin Melbourne
  • Sheraton Melbourne
All are cat 5 so (potentially) eligible for voucher use - certainly all same points cost. Cash prices are quite a bit higher for The Westin and I was wondering if that reflected it being a 'better' property?

Location of all three is fine for me, I'm only lowly Marriott/SPG Gold so not expecting much of an upgrade or lounge access, etc.

Any suggestions as to which to go for if all 3 are available? At present I'm edging towards The Westin. Have the Marriott on a points booking as a backup to attach the cert to.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Any thoughts?
You can find my recent comments regarding the Melbourne Marriott here. I cannot comment on the Sheraton at all, as I don't recall so much as laying eyes on it (although my recollection from my own research is that it wasn't a big hit with those who've stayed there). As to the Westin, it's right in the thick of things, which depending on perspective can be a good thing or not (e.g. shorter walks but likely more noise). Looked like many rooms had balconies, although I never saw anyone making use of them (the weather was fair most days we were there). I did not, however, step inside to have a look about (which is odd for me, as checking out hotels in a new city is kind of a thing with me).

I'm sure you will have a lovely time in MEL regardless of your choice - enjoy!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, appreciate the link. At the current rate not sure how do-able the SPG booking will be anyway, at least I've got the Points Advance held for the Marriott!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed at the Melbourne Marriott twice and found it to be excellent. The staff are about the friendliest I have ever seen in a hotel and the lounge attendants in the lounge can't do enough to help you.

Hotel is in a decent location with good transport links - buses to your right, tram to your left with lots of food options if you don't want to eat in the hotel.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I've stayed at the Melbourne Marriott twice and found it to be excellent. The staff are about the friendliest I have ever seen in a hotel and the lounge attendants in the lounge can't do enough to help you.

Hotel is in a decent location with good transport links - buses to your right, tram to your left with lots of food options if you don't want to eat in the hotel.
Thanks - sadly won't have lounge access but good to hear positive things about the staff!
nequine likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
I am in doubt if should return to the Sheraton or the Westin or go the the Marriott instead.

Have stayed at Sheraton before, liked the rooms and the neighbourhood, but didn't like the view so much
The Westin had larger rooms but much more clinical than those at the Sheraton, I think I preferred the neighbourhood though.

I am traveling for business and not really into sight seeing, but location is super important when it comes to a good selection of bars and restaurant.
Jetlag is making me lazy to make too much efforts to go out eating or drinking, prefer to walk anywhere.

When I look at the prices, the Sheraton is much cheaper at this point and they had lots of restaurants nearby.
Should I go for Sheraton again or try the Marriott this time, mainly based on location for eating and drinking.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:00 am

The hotels are all within a 10 minute walk of each other. In my view the Westin has the best location for a tourist, but be aware there is major construction going on next door to the hotel as part of the expansion of the public transportation network. They have built a giant shed over the works so it's not clear to me how much noise pollution there is, but there are definitely a number of rooms that would have previously had a nice view of the public square and now look directly at a faux concrete wall.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of balconies on the building are connected to the "luxury" apartments above the hotel and not hotel rooms...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
As stated already, there is an absolutely massive construction project that is right on top of the Westin at the moment. I don't know how it impacts staying there but it seems best to avoid.

I think the Sheraton is the best location for food and beverage. If you find yourself hungry at an odd hour, you simply cannot beat The Butcher's Diner for a quick but Melbourne-worthy feed. And top-of-the-range Melbourne eateries are south of the hotel. The Marriott is pretty good as well especially if you want something from Chinatown, but it doesn't have as many high end options within close range.

I've only stayed at the Marriott so I don't have a good comparison, but I think for your purposes if the Sheraton was acceptable last time it will suit your needs.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Courtyard Flagstaff

I am currently in house at this new 3-star property - opened in March.
The property is the first of what will be a major expansion = 8 new poperties.
More to follow.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am currently in house at this new 3-star property - opened in March.
The property is the first of what will be a major expansion = 8 new poperties.
More to follow.
Assume you mean Courtyard Melbourne Flagstaff Gardens. There's a CY Flagstaff in Flagstaff, AZ in the US.

David
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Yes, the subject of this thread is Marriott properties in Melbourne Australia

Your assumption would be 100 % correct, DelLee.

The Courtyard by Marriott Flagstaff Gardens is located at 50 Batman in Melbourne (Australia). It is named after Flagstaff Gardens - 1/2 block away!

BTW, Flagstaff Arizona has 73000 residents. By comparson, Melbourne has 5000000.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:47 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Any recent comparisons of the Marriott options in Melbourne? Specifically the Courtyard vs AC and Four Points?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Any recent comparisons of the Marriott options in Melbourne? Specifically the Courtyard vs AC and Four Points?
Also which properties have the best food options for Titanium/Plat elites...restaurant breakfast and/or executive lounge?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Based on my research, only the two Marriotts have lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.