Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are AMEX FHR bookings eligible for MR points/nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are AMEX FHR bookings eligible for MR points/nights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium, Accor Plus - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Raddison - Gold, Golden Circle - Jade
My AMEX FHR goes through premiumhotelbookings dot american express
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by colt75
My AMEX FHR goes through premiumhotelbookings dot american express
Are you US based/booking in the US?

A recent FHR stay from Friday night at the RC seems to have posted normally to my account despite my booking going through amextravel.com.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium, Accor Plus - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Raddison - Gold, Golden Circle - Jade
Originally Posted by cmd320
Are you US based/booking in the US?

A recent FHR stay from Friday night at the RC seems to have posted normally to my account despite my booking going through amextravel.com.
No from Australia
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
We apologize for any confusion regarding which stays originating from American Express sources are eligible for points and stay accrual. We hope the following guidance clears up any confusion. American Express operates several hotel reservation services and websites. If you made your reservation directly through the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program or the American Express Hotel Collection, and the hotel is not one of a handful of excluded properties noted below, then your reservation is eligible for accrual. If you made your reservation through any other American Express Travel or any other online travel channel, then your reservation is not eligible for accrual. To clarify our rules as provided in the Marriott Bonvoy Terms and Conditions:

The following reservation types are eligible for accrual in the Marriott Bonvoy program provided that a Qualifying Rate is paid:
• Reservations made directly with Marriott, including Marriott.com, the Marriott Bonvoy app, Marriott engagement centers and on-property
• Reservations made directly with American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts website and call center; Reservations made directly with American Express The Hotel Collection
• Reservations made with corporate negotiated rates and Government negotiated rates booked through authorized corporate-rate and government-rate channels

The following reservation types are not eligible for accrual in the Marriott Bonvoy program
• Reservations made through amextravel.com, travel.americanexpress.com, membershipewards.com, global.americanexpress.com/rewards.
• Reservations made through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com, etc.
• In addition, stays at select properties are never eligible for Marriott Bonvoy accrual even if they are booked through an eligible channel. These include St Regis Residence Club properties, Bulgari Hotels and Resorts, Ritz-Carlton Residences, Ritz-Carlton Reserve properties, and any individual properties listed in section 1.2 of the Marriott Bonvoy Program Terms and Conditions.

If you have been denied stay credit for a reservation that you believe was booked through Fine Hotels and Resorts or the Hotel Collection, please contact American Express to confirm how your reservation was processed by their agents or web service. As a reminder, always ensure that your Marriott Bonvoy account number is included when you make your reservation or verify the number upon checking in at the hotel.
So this is still unclear because FHR directs many bookings to AmexTravel.com when you use the FHR portal, so it remains unclear. Can Marriott please provide a PUBLISHED link to this explanation on a Marriott channel so we all have something official to go by? This is hurting a lot of Marriott bookings; people are sending hotel stays elsewhere.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So this is still unclear because FHR directs many bookings to AmexTravel.com when you use the FHR portal, so it remains unclear. Can Marriott please provide a PUBLISHED link to this explanation on a Marriott channel so we all have something official to go by? This is hurting a lot of Marriott bookings; people are sending hotel stays elsewhere.
Yes, please!!!
I am about to book a FHR stay at a Marriott hotel but worried about points too....
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
I am about to book a FHR stay at a Marriott hotel but worried about points too....
Personally, I wouldn't book a prepaid FHR rate stay credit and points were important to me.

I believe the STARS rates offer similar benefits.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:00 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Perhaps AMEX itself would be more helpful in advocating for clients than asking Bonvoy's lukers?

With STARS and Luminous being a Marriott created programs for certain top travel agents/advisors it is an obvious place to direct your bookings if Bonvoy is more important to you than Amex Membership Rewards
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:05 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ABG
Perhaps AMEX itself would be more helpful in advocating for clients than asking Bonvoy's lukers?

With STARS and Luminous being a Marriott created programs for certain top travel agents/advisors it is an obvious place to direct your bookings if Bonvoy is more important to you than Amex Membership Rewards
Thing I learned this past year is your FHR booking has to be paid with an AMEX card. It does NOT have to be the plat card that got you into the FHR program.

So what I do is book FHR, and use my Bonvoy AMEX when checking in/out. I get the bonus points from using the credit card in addition to what Marriott gives for spend plus elite bonus and welcome bonus.
MSPeconomist and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Handcake
Thing I learned this past year is your FHR booking has to be paid with an AMEX card. It does NOT have to be the plat card that got you into the FHR program.

So what I do is book FHR, and use my Bonvoy AMEX when checking in/out. I get the bonus points from using the credit card in addition to what Marriott gives for spend plus elite bonus and welcome bonus.
This has pretty much been true for almost as long as I can remember, like 10-12+ years. Nothing really new here and not really related to the question at hand (do FHR reservations still earn elite benefits?)

Regards
Beltway2A and nexusCFX like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Kacee
Personally, I wouldn't book a prepaid FHR rate stay credit and points were important to me.

I believe the STARS rates offer similar benefits.
Thanks, but in my case (Amex Italy) FHR rates are at 90% payable directly at hotels, not prepaid.
Should it be a plus?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Thanks, but in my case (Amex Italy) FHR rates are at 90% payable directly at hotels, not prepaid.
Should it be a plus?
The ultimate question is whether it books through Amex Travel (Expedia). That's the basis on which properties have denied credit on the 5x prepaid rates.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The ultimate question is whether it books through Amex Travel (Expedia). That's the basis on which properties have denied credit on the 5x prepaid rates.
and in the end, we have no choice. When you click on the book travel link in FHR, it always takes me to Amex Travel.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
• Reservations made directly with American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts website and call center...
Hasn't it been established (elsewhere on FT, if not here) that AMEX FHR call center is just handled by Amex Travel / Expedia? [EDIT: Sorry, the post I was thinking of mentioned that IAP online bookings are handled by Amex Travel while phone bookings are still handled by PTS; see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31700163-post33.html ] Would this really make a difference? I assume there is a fee to make a booking via phone.

As others have noted, since the AMEX site redesign, all my attempted hotel bookings on AMEX - FHR or not - eventually redirect to amextravel.com, no matter how I try to book it (e.g., through other domain names like consumer-travel.americanexpress.com, etc.).

Marriott (and AMEX, if necessary) really needs to work this issue out - it's not a good response at all to follow-up pragmatically contradictory information by simply telling the customer, 'well go figure it out with the other guy'...

Last edited by gengar; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by gengar
I assume there is a fee to make a booking via phone.
No there is not. You may be confusing FHR with IAP.
Originally Posted by gengar
it's not a good response at all to follow-up pragmatically contradictory information by simply telling the customer, 'well go figure it out with the other guy'...
It's not, but Marriott doesn't care. They just don't get any FHR bookings from me; those go to independent properties or Park Hyatts.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
No there is not. You may be confusing FHR with IAP.
Was definitely thinking of IAP and assumed there likely was a phone fee for FHR as well. Good to know that there is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.