Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott provides a list. Convention & Resort Hotels

Many of these properties will still offer late check-out. In fact, I've been offered 4 pm at Marquis San Diego, which is the one that sparked this discussion.
That’s not a comprehensive list of convention center hotels though. It would be great if Marriott just produced a PDF of excluded properties and we could all know for sure.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:19 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
No late check-out at Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club, Miami Beach, FL

I completely understand this is a resort property, so I'm not being negative--this is more of an FYI.
I had suspicions something might be up when I asked at check-in, & was told 'Call on the morning of check-out.' Was told had to check out at 11AM.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rd3
I completely understand this is a resort property, so I'm not being negative--this is more of an FYI.
I had suspicions something might be up when I asked at check-in, & was told 'Call on the morning of check-out.' Was told had to check out at 11AM.
That's pretty harsh. Hope you will post in the property thread so people are forewarned.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I usually ask for this nice benefit so, during leisure stays, I can enjoy my room till my flight/train back.
And, since this perk is guaranteed, that's one of the reasons I switched from Hilton to SPG (now Bonvoy), where at Hiltons I had to 'beg' anytime, even as a Diamond.
Nowadays, I have no issues getting a 4pm checkout at Bonvoy properties (no convention or resorts), but I have to ask (app is to 2pm), and I obviously ask only when I need it, using the room till late.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
No 4pm check out at JW Marriott Austin

Requested 4 pm check out on app at check in, called in this morning and was denied. I was told the hotel was sold out.

Apparently this is a convention hotel per Marriott. Had no idea.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:56 pm

I have had 4pm late checkout results all over the map. At one Springhill Suites beachfront property I heard the front desk personnel note that there were “two late checkouts today”. When I was leaving at around 3:20 pm the housekeeper in the hall mentioned “Why are you wasting money? You can stay until 4pm”. Last week at a Residence Inn in OH I asked about late checkout when checking in. I had the request in the app when doing the mobile check in. The clerk said to have my keys recoded anytime before noon on the day of checkout. When attempting to do so with another clerk later, I was told that late checkout had to be requested several days in advance. I mentioned the Platinum benefits and keys were reprogrammed for 4 pm.

At a Sheraton, I requested late checkout and had placed the key carrier with Platinum elite befits printed on the case on the counter at the time of the request. The clerk stated check out time was Noon andthat she would have to place a request with the manager. When at the property on another stay, the FD clerk thanked me for my loyalty and coded the keys for late checkout at arrival.

I’ve had room lockouts around noon more often than not, even when late checkout was cheerfully acknowledged at checkin and deadbolts haven’t stopped housekeeping from entering rooms in most cases across the US. New touch locks are being deployed to accommodate smart phones as a key so it remains to be seen if deadbolts lockout housekeeping keys. But thus far no property I have visited has had mobile app keys in use.

Old May 3, 2019, 6:16 am

I was offered and accepted at 4 PM checkout at Marriott Copley Square in Boston which I would definitely consider a convention hotel as its attached via walkways to the Boston convention center. I was impressed as this me convention I attended was ending as lots of people were descending on Boston for the Boston Marathon
Old May 3, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by tzydzy
I have had 4pm late checkout results all over the map. At one Springhill Suites beachfront property I heard the front desk personnel note that there were “two late checkouts today”. When I was leaving at around 3:20 pm the housekeeper in the hall mentioned “Why are you wasting money? You can stay until 4pm”. Last week at a Residence Inn in OH I asked about late checkout when checking in. I had the request in the app when doing the mobile check in. The clerk said to have my keys recoded anytime before noon on the day of checkout. When attempting to do so with another clerk later, I was told that late checkout had to be requested several days in advance. I mentioned the Platinum benefits and keys were reprogrammed for 4 pm.

At a Sheraton, I requested late checkout and had placed the key carrier with Platinum elite befits printed on the case on the counter at the time of the request. The clerk stated check out time was Noon andthat she would have to place a request with the manager. When at the property on another stay, the FD clerk thanked me for my loyalty and coded the keys for late checkout at arrival.

I’ve had room lockouts around noon more often than not, even when late checkout was cheerfully acknowledged at checkin and deadbolts haven’t stopped housekeeping from entering rooms in most cases across the US. New touch locks are being deployed to accommodate smart phones as a key so it remains to be seen if deadbolts lockout housekeeping keys. But thus far no property I have visited has had mobile app keys in use.

Regular housekeepping should be locked out from entering if the deadbolt is set, but it seems like most are given a master key that breaks through that. I'm not sure that is deliberate or just lack of knowledge by the property to know how things could/should work. Personally, I always set the physical flip lock when available to keep them out as that takes a tool housekeepping should not have readily available. Do comment to the FDM or GM any/every time they barge in with the deadbolt set.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Quick question: Afaik if your check-out is at (let's say) 11 AM, it is allowed to actually check-out until noon. Does this also hold for late check-out times? I couldn't find anything about that.

Yeaterday/Today I stayed at AC Hotel Venezia and I asked for late check-out. They told me that my room has been reserved for somebody else but they gave me another room with the hint that I can stay there but no longer than 5 PM. I was a little but surprise about that ... Any ideas?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jimaras08
Quick question: Afaik if your check-out is at (let's say) 11 AM, it is allowed to actually check-out until noon. Does this also hold for late check-out times? I couldn't find anything about that.

Yeaterday/Today I stayed at AC Hotel Venezia and I asked for late check-out. They told me that my room has been reserved for somebody else but they gave me another room with the hint that I can stay there but no longer than 5 PM. I was a little but surprise about that ... Any ideas?
I've had this at the Marriott Waikiki, where they offered another room to stay later before the redeye to the mainland.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:57 pm

Have stayed in hotels all around the DC area this year, most recently the Reni Downtown, Reni Arlington, Marriott Marquis, Georgetown, Crystal City, St. Regis, AC Annapolis, and have gotten 4 PM checkout every time.

I have only been denied once in the last four years, and that was at the RI Foggy Bottom. But I believe that was before the T&C stated that late checkout was guaranteed for Plat and above.

Hope I didn't just jinx it.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I had a decent stretch of varied hotels where 4pm checkout was no issue at all. My last two, however (at a FFI in Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie and at the AC NY Downtown) where both front desk clerks said that it was not a guarantee and that I needed to request the morning of checkout and it might be granted based on availability at the hotel's discretion. In both cases, I pushed back, noting that it was in fact an elite benefit and a guarantee for Titaniums other than resorts/conventions. At the FFI, the clerk insisted that her front desk manager and others had clearly told her that there is no such guarantee. At the AC, it was similar, though the Ops Mgr followed up with me (I'm guessing after I asked the front desk clerk for her name) after to let me know that it was granted, though it wasn't clear to me whether she was viewing it as a special exception or whether the front desk clerk was mistaken.

The fact that these hotels (that are clearly non-resorts/conventions) have not understood that this is a guarantee makes this benefit much less worthwhile. As a guarantee, I can plan around the 4pm time. If I am not confident about my checkout time until I arrive at the hotel OR the morning of departure, it is pretty much useless to me.

I can't stand how Marriott simply lets these "benefits" they advertise go unenforced, and how their wording in many benefits lets hotels play games. I lay this at Marriott's (the corporate entity) feet for not making it clearer and not enforcing and training better.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jimaras08

If you have a guaranteed 4 pm checkout due to elite status and you were not given some special room, such as the presidential suite not in the upgrade pool, you should be able to keep *YOUR* room until 4 pm. Of course, it's different at a genuine resort, where late checkout is based on availability.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by dcchi
AC NY Downtown) where both front desk clerks said that it was not a guarantee and that I needed to request the morning of checkout and it might be granted based on availability at the hotel's discretion.
That property has late checkout disabled in the bonvOY app when using mobile checkin. They didn't ask me at the FD either. Probably hoping guests will forget.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have a guaranteed 4 pm checkout due to elite status and you were not given some special room, such as the presidential suite not in the upgrade pool, you should be able to keep *YOUR* room until 4 pm. Of course, it's different at a genuine resort, where late checkout is based on availability.
I just have the Gold status, therefore I can get a checkout time as late as 2 p.m. (based on availability). With platinum status it goes up to 4 p.m. Therefore, unfortunately, I cannot follow your argumentation completely.

Back to my main question: I've seen multiple people checking out an hour later, e.g. checkout time is at 11 and they checkout at 11:50 without any additional fee. Does it also hold for late check-out, e.g. when I get due to elite status late check-out at 4 p.m., can I stay until 4:50 p.m. without any additional fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.