Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
For me, FD always ask during check in.
And rarely they refuse 4pm checkout if requested.

I will inform the FD about my next flight and set the check out based on that.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Why you just dont always request it at mobile check in?
I have seen it at some properties recently where the app does not let you select the departure time, but only give a choice of yes or no as to whether you're interested in late checkout.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
As a Marriott Titanium, I requested 4 pm checkout at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina with the Marriott app. When I showed up, they told me I only have 2 pm late check out because they are completely full the next day. I wan’t thrilled but then I Googled and found that this property is listed as a convention hotel hence 4 pm checkout is pending availability.

The Marriott app still says I’m “all set for late check-out at 4:00 pm.” The hotel also has the Bluetooth room key in the app. Will I get to keep my room till 2 pm per the front desk or 4 pm per the app? Trying to decide if I should come back to my room after my meeting.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:57 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EricUSC
As a Marriott Titanium, I requested 4 pm checkout at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina with the Marriott app. When I showed up, they told me I only have 2 pm late check out because they are completely full the next day. I wan’t thrilled but then I Googled and found that this property is listed as a convention hotel hence 4 pm checkout is pending availability.

The Marriott app still says I’m “all set for late check-out at 4:00 pm.” The hotel also has the Bluetooth room key in the app. Will I get to keep my room till 2 pm per the front desk or 4 pm per the app? Trying to decide if I should come back to my room after my meeting.
My guess is it’s 2pm as per the front desk.
Recently at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in the DC area (also classified as a convention hotel I believe) I had requested a 3pm late checkout when doing OLCI but forgot to inquire about it at the check in desk. Morning of departure, my app said I was all set for a 3pm checkout but when I called the front desk they said there was no late checkout attached to my room (but granted it to me as a plat anyways). It’s only 1 data point but this leads me to believe it’s possible for the app to not show the correct late checkout time - I’d go with the front desk.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
With the current state of Marriotts IT, I wouldn’t trust the app either.

The convention centers & resorts aren’t always obvious, they will sneak up and get you. When I know I’ll need the hotel I’ll call and ask if they honor the 4pm guaranteed late checkout just in case.

I wish Marriott would make it obvious when booking what is excluded (like checkouts) benefits.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Conclusion - always ask. Some of you might feel this should be automatic and you don't need to open your mouth. But to the establishment they know not all Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador need to stay as long as 4 p.m., and the more accurately they can expect out check-out time (like I'm checking out at 10 a.m. to catch a flight instead of 4 p.m.), the easier they can turnover our rooms for the next guest.

Please be courteous and help them do that. I have been told by management that Platinums (and above) are only hurting themselves, if they can't turnover the suites, then they don't have a suite for you at the time of your check-in. They found many Platinums are leaving early anyway (before 12 noon) but will simply say they need the room till 4 p.m. As a result, they can't turnover the suites that they would of prioritize and then have it available for Platinum or above upgrades.
Agree. If you need 4pm, certainly ask for it. But if you don't really need it, don't ask for it just because it's a bennie. Housekeeping can't clean the room until 4pm & if you've (generic you've) left earlier, then it does potentially screw things up for the next elite guest. Also, if you did ask for it thinking you would legitimately need it & then find out you're able to leave earlier, call the front desk or housekeeping to let them know of earlier check out. That way housekeeping isn't just waiting until 4pm, can turn the room earlier, and also get home earlier. If they have to wait for a bunch of 4pm check-outs that left earlier, would suck for them & for us elites hoping to get the room or suite.

Cheers.
Horace and C17PSGR like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a Marriott Titanium, I requested 4 pm checkout at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina with the Marriott app. When I showed up, they told me I only have 2 pm late check out because they are completely full the next day.
I'm pretty sure what they told you controls over anything the app says. You might ask again at the front desk day of departure. This property has always treated me pretty well . . . I suspect that if they can find a way to give you 4 pm, they will.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Definitely 2pm. The housekeeping staff will have a print out of who is leaving that day and your room will be marked for 2pm check out because that's what the front desk assigned to your room. The app is useless and awful and always wrong, even if you requested it.

So at 2pm if you haven't unoccupied the room of your stuff you can expect it to be un-neatly tidied and put in some closet so that housekeeping can clean the room and move on. Or, they may leave it there and the hotel charges you for another night. Both of these are real possibilities. Are they likely to happen? Not sure you want to take that risk.

-RM
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Definitely 2pm. The housekeeping staff will have a print out of who is leaving that day and your room will be marked for 2pm check out because that's what the front desk assigned to your room. The app is useless and awful and always wrong, even if you requested it.

So at 2pm if you haven't unoccupied the room of your stuff you can expect it to be un-neatly tidied and put in some closet so that housekeeping can clean the room and move on. Or, they may leave it there and the hotel charges you for another night. Both of these are real possibilities. Are they likely to happen? Not sure you want to take that risk.

-RM
OTOH the app is a "written" document showing a 4 pm checkout time confirmation, so that should prevail over an employee's verbal statement or in a he said versus she said situation.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

I do whole heartedly agree with others though. Ask for what you need. Then when you checkout (if it’s 6am or 330pm) Take off the DND sign and hit the checkout button on the app. Just let housekeeping know you’ve left.

It will only help the next person (and hopefully help you get into a room earlier one day).
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH the app is a "written" document showing a 4 pm checkout time confirmation, so that should prevail over an employee's verbal statement or in a he said versus she said situation.
I 99% of the time never use app check-in because it's useless and offers zero benefit (to me). However, the few times I can remember using it I'm pretty sure when I requested late check out it reminded me that it's a "request", not a guarantee ... and you still have to check with the front for the late check out request.

So I believe the front desk overrides anything the app may say. Plus we all know the app constantly lies and displays wrong data.

-RM
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by goldenbear
I’m sure it can cause room management problems if the hotel is not with it, d down.

As for what is a convention/resort hotel, I’m always a bit confused (outside of having resort in the name).. I did just find this website and am wondering if it’s indeed a inclusive list:

https://www.marriott.com/convention-...etwork/home.mi
It has always been part of the Marriott program too - no change. The "convention hotel' is hard to figure out though. From the hotel side, you are correct, housekeeping is mostly gone by that time
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I 99% of the time never use app check-in because it's useless and offers zero benefit (to me). However, the few times I can remember using it I'm pretty sure when I requested late check out it reminded me that it's a "request", not a guarantee ... and you still have to check with the front for the late check out request.

So I believe the front desk overrides anything the app may say. Plus we all know the app constantly lies and displays wrong data.

-RM
These days, late check-out usually shows as a "request" (click YES rather than setting a time) with a 2PM default. 4PM needs to be confirmed at check-in.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:55 am

Is there a wiki started with a list of properties that are (or claim to be) resorts or convention hotels? And if they still give late checkouts of any kind?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyou10
Is there a wiki started with a list of properties that are (or claim to be) resorts or convention hotels? And if they still give late checkouts of any kind?
Marriott provides a list. Convention & Resort Hotels

Many of these properties will still offer late check-out. In fact, I've been offered 4 pm at Marquis San Diego, which is the one that sparked this discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.