Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I have had the issue before at resort properties (which are obviously resorts).

What did the Stanton offer as breakfast for plats?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:06 pm

Is there a rational reason why a ‘resort’ is less able to provide a late checkout than a ‘hotel’?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:54 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
There may be a period of adjustment for legacy Marriott hotels. My son (who is PPE) was told this morning at the Lido Autograph in Newport that the latest check out possible was 12:30, called the desk again and was given 4 pm when he (politely ) reminded them it was a guaranteed benefit,

I haven’t had to do that much anymore at legacy SPG properties. Years ago it would happen occasionally.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
So far I never have any issue with 4pm late checkout.
Even most of the resorts properties happily extend that benefit. Granted my stays were in their low seasons.

The Cosmopolitan give 2pm checkout straight away (resort property so they excluded from 4pm guarantee)

Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
There may be a period of adjustment for legacy Marriott hotels. My son (who is PPE) was told this morning at the Lido Autograph in Newport that the latest check out possible was 12:30, called the desk again and was given 4 pm when he (politely ) reminded them it was a guaranteed benefit,

I haven’t had to do that much anymore at legacy SPG properties. Years ago it would happen occasionally.
4PM Checkout has actually been in place for a little while now at Marriott. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by how most hotels have provided it, with a few exceptions course.

The biggest problem is that unlike other "guarantees" in Marriott Rewards, there is no clearly defined penalty for non-compliance.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Is there a rational reason why a ‘resort’ is less able to provide a late checkout than a ‘hotel’?
Resorts have more leisure travelers than business travelers. Leisure travelers are more likely to want to check in early (vs. head straight to the office from the airport) and stay late (vs. checkout in the morning and head to the office). So housekeeping may have less time to clean and prepare rooms before check-in time. Also, resorts attract more children so rooms may be messier.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by getagb

Resorts have more leisure travelers than business travelers. Leisure travelers are more likely to want to check in early (vs. head straight to the office from the airport) and stay late (vs. checkout in the morning and head to the office). So housekeeping may have less time to clean and prepare rooms before check-in time. Also, resorts attract more children so rooms may be messier.
In some places (but unlikely in Miami), they all arrive/depart around the same time as there may be limited flights.

Originally Posted by damon88
There may be a period of adjustment for legacy Marriott hotels.
Originally Posted by GoPhils
4PM Checkout has actually been in place for a little while now at Marriott. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by how most hotels have provided it, with a few exceptions course.
This has been in place at Marriott's for quite a while -- seems like at least a couple of years. I can't think of any legacy non-resort MR property where this has been an issue since it was rolled out (at resorts ... it can be a negotiation).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
A quick google search shows that the guaranteed 4pm late checkout for Marriott elite gold and above was implemented May 16, 2016.

ryw likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In some places (but unlikely in Miami), they all arrive/depart around the same time as there may be limited flights.
If we pick and choose individual areas/hotels, I'm sure we can find exceptions on both sides. The real issue is what is "generally" the situation. And I would tend to think it is possible that "generally" resorts may well have larger numbers of folks checking in at more varied times. And there may also be a larger % that want/desire to take advantage of late checkout.

Also, resorts may have a more varied sets of room types (low numbers of a lot of different room types versus lots of rooms in only 3 or 4 different room types). A business hotel, might have a couple of suites, a Concierge Level and everything else. (Again, I'm sure we can do a search and find exceptions, but in "general" this has been my experience.) A resort will quite often have multiple different view types, possibly balconies, Jr and full suites, etc. And I'm also wondering if resorts might, in general, tend to have a higher % of elites (using all those points they earned.) That could all translate into much more stress having to wait for late checkouts, while others want to check-in to their rooms.

At the end of the day, all we can do is "guess" at what might be driving Resorts from being excluded. But I think it is reasonable to assume, given both Marriott and Starwood before the merger excluded resorts, that there is some different dynamic between other hotels and resorts. And whatever that dynamic is, it has caused both to exclude resorts from the 4pm late checkout benefit.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

I request late check out almost every week and only once has a Marriott property denied me a 4 PM checkout. That was the Residence Inn Foggy Bottom which wasn't the best property anyway IMO.

That was over two years ago, they may have changed management, policies, whatever, but I haven't been compelled to go back. Mostly because of the bonus point policy with RIs.

I have had several situations (all at the same hotel, Marriott Conference Center College Park MD) where housekeeping would barge in to my room even though I had been granted late checkout, AND I had a DND sign on my door, but, after the first time I learned to put the security chain on. I think they have a communication problem at that place.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by jrich7970
I have had several situations (all at the same hotel, Marriott Conference Center College Park MD) where housekeeping would barge in to my room even though I had been granted late checkout, AND I had a DND sign on my door, but, after the first time I learned to put the security chain on. I think they have a communication problem at that place.
Unfortunately, I've seen this at many properties, and I've had multiple intrusions on many occasions, even after telling the housekeeper of my late checkout and/or contacting the front desk. I believe 4 total intrusions is my record
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Chatting w/ a friend, when late c/o is requested at c/i, the FD is supposed to tell the housekeeping staff about late c/o & specifically what time. If FD does it properly & the housekeeping staff is up to snuff, then it's honored. If FD doesn't communicate it to housekeeping, though, then housekeeping goes in at noon thinking the room has been checked out, not knowing about late c/o. From what I understand there's not an automated way of late c/o request at FD notifying HK. That is something MAR should probably implement.

Cheers.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Chatting w/ a friend, when late c/o is requested at c/i, the FD is supposed to tell the housekeeping staff about late c/o & specifically what time. If FD does it properly & the housekeeping staff is up to snuff, then it's honored. If FD doesn't communicate it to housekeeping, though, then housekeeping goes in at noon thinking the room has been checked out, not knowing about late c/o. From what I understand there's not an automated way of late c/o request at FD notifying HK. That is something MAR should probably implement.

Cheers.
I have only had this issue at one property. I think it's just an issue with them specifically. But, you would think that it would be something that is communicated. Oh, by the way, I have had several colleagues have the same issue at the same property.

I'm there next week...we'll see what happens.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by goldenbear
As for what is a convention/resort hotel, I’m always a bit confused (outside of having resort in the name).. I did just find this website and am wondering if it’s indeed a inclusive list:

https://www.marriott.com/convention-...etwork/home.mi
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At some point, the Starwood Lurker posted a list of all Starwoods that were officially classified as resorts and convention hotels (for the guaranteed late checkout and perhaps other purposes).

There were many surprises, including some places that I would have thought were considered convention hotels but officially were not.

IIRC there was also a discussion about whether having the word convention or conference in the title meant that the hotel was officially convention property and whether the absence of such words means that it isn't a convention property, but I don't remember the conclusion.
Originally Posted by markko
It's actually quite simple if you use the Hotel Directory Search: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi

(This page can also be found by navigating from the "Find & Reserve" menu to the "Browse by Destination" option.)

If you choose the "Filter" option, you can filter by "Convention Hotels" and/or "Resorts" to see which properties are officially classified as such.
I found this (partial?) list for pmMarriott (a sub-page of the link at the top, but easier to find; just click on the states)

Find a Convention Hotel | Marriott's Convention Hotels and Resorts
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
There are many reports of housekeeping knocking on the door early. I don’t think it’s usually because the FD didn’t communicate it to them, I think it’s because they want to see if you did end up leaving sooner. But they should at least honor the DND sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.