Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Book future Category 8 hotels (85,000 points) at the Category 7 rate (60,000 points) until March 2019.
These were 35K SPG points or the equivalent of 105K Marriott points, with the all suite properties being at least twice that points level.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Save up to 25,000 points per night when you book future Category 8 hotels at the Category 7 rate until March 2019.

How far into 2020 can we book?
Marriott opens up award availabillity one week at a time on Saturdays. On 1 March 2019 we can book thru 15 Feb 2020.

Hotel list: (thank you, CPRich)
Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d'Ampezzo
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Giardino Ascona, A Member Of Design Hotels
Giardino Mountain, a Member of Design Hotels
Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels™
G-Rough, Rome, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Cala di Volpe, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Geneva
Hotel Romazzino, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Kenoa Exclusive Beach Spa & Resort, Barra de Sao Miguel, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Méridien Bora Bora
Mystique, A Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
PalazzinaG, Venice, a Member of Design Hotels
Parklane, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Limassol
Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale
Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos
Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Sir Joan Hotel, Ibiza City, a Member of Design Hotels
Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale
The Chatwal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, New York City
The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
The Miami Beach EDITION
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour, Miami
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
The St. Regis Bali Resort
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
The St. Regis Deer Valley
The St. Regis Florence
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort
The St. Regis New York
The St. Regis Osaka
The St. Regis Princeville Resort
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
The St. Regis Rome
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
W Koh Samui
W Maldives
W South Beach
W Verbier
Print Wikipost

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Just from the Middle East I have Maldives on my door step, so not sure it would be that much different Bora Bora to the maldives and rather to try something different I thought Gritti Palace, St Regis New York and Mystique as the standouts in America/Europe....
I have been to both St.Regis Maldives and St.Regis Bora Bora this year. While I agree New York would be different, but I would argue that Maldives and BB are not as similar as you insinuate. In the Maldives the hotel is far more luxurious and you spend all your time on the resort / island because there is nothing around it. However in BB the highlight is all the activities which are more plentiful with easy access to the main island of BB, plus snorkeling / diving is infinitely better than in St.Regis Maldives, heck you even have snorkeling in the home-made lagoon in the hotel grounds in St.Regis BB. I found the two destinations to be quite different to be honest. Go to Maldives if you want pure hotel luxury, go to BB if you want to explore nature and care more about activities. Of course if you compare to NYC that is another story, no argument possible!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I have been to both St.Regis Maldives and St.Regis Bora Bora this year. While I agree New York would be different, but I would argue that Maldives and BB are not as similar as you insinuate. In the Maldives the hotel is far more luxurious and you spend all your time on the resort / island because there is nothing around it. However in BB the highlight is all the activities which are more plentiful with easy access to the main island of BB, plus snorkeling / diving is infinitely better than in St.Regis Maldives, heck you even have snorkeling in the home-made lagoon in the hotel grounds in St.Regis BB. I found the two destinations to be quite different to be honest. Go to Maldives if you want pure hotel luxury, go to BB if you want to explore nature and care more about activities. Of course if you compare to NYC that is another story, no argument possible!
As advanced divers, we found the diving around Bora Bora to be quite disappointing--but that could have been a lack of good fortune, wrong season (April), etc. Of course, we also know that so many honeymooners and people who've never before dived often come to Bora Bora and think it's amazing because they have less perspective.

Your comments about the diving/snorkeling being even worse at the StR Maldives is the biggest cause for our concern to go there. As much as I've love to check it out, I got a little bored in Bora Bora (e.g. Boring Boring) once I realized the diving wasn't so great. I've heard that I may face that in the Maldives, too. Your comments reinforce that for diving around the StR Maldives. Did you dive or just snorkel? (Snorkeling is expected to be paltry for the first few years after a new property opens, as the construction always scares away a lot of marine life.)

But otherwise I think you make excellent points about the significant differences between the two properties and the two locations.
bresnab likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
New Marriott points award chart dates

I can't find this information anywhere.

I know the new points award chart is being implemented in 2019. But does it start as of next week, or was it moved to March ?

I have a few stays for a trip in the Spring, and was wondering if I have to book my hotels this week before the rates go up, or if it's something that will change in March.

The main 2 changes im concerned about are, new cat-8s, and peak pricing for all categories.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cat 8 has definitely moved to March - marriott.com says so - and we are assuming peak/off-peak has been delayed too.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

Rates for 2019 reward bookings

Presume reward rates for Starriott hotels are going up effective 1/1/19? Is there any easy way to check what the new redemption rates will be for specific hotels?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s now expected for March. You can see the peak/ off peak numbers on Marriott.com.
jeanie likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:29 pm

I am seeing a charge of around 1450 dollars when I try to book 5 nights in St Regis Maldives using points. Is there anyway to avoid those fees?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by novikb
I am seeing a charge of around 1450 dollars when I try to book 5 nights in St Regis Maldives using points. Is there anyway to avoid those fees?
Not that I am aware of as $60 is for government taxes & fees and $1390 of that is the seaplane transfer for two persons.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
Not that I am aware of as $60 is for government taxes & fees and $1390 of that is the seaplane transfer for two persons.
Haha, I’m sure that all the people who are denigrating Al Maha for changing its all-inclusive award stay room policy (not involving the changed terms after the official change was announced) will soon be denigrating StR Maldives for its audacity to not provide free seaplane transfers as part of their award stays.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am Marriott gold. Do I get free breakfast in St. Regis?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick reply. I am Marriott gold. Do I get free breakfast in St. Regis?
Breakfast is not normally a benefit for Gold unless you were old Marriott Gold which becomes Platinum now.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...nefits/gold.mi
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Gold is more or less worthless now tbh. Not sure about the free breakfast, but i believe you would have to be at least Platinum.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:45 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Haha, I’m sure that all the people who are denigrating Al Maha for changing its all-inclusive award stay room policy (not involving the changed terms after the official change was announced) will soon be denigrating StR Maldives for its audacity to not provide free seaplane transfers as part of their award stays.
Umm, seaplane transfers were never included and always clearly marked as extra. People had Al Maha reservations that were booked as saying "includes full board + 2 activities daily" and then later were told the room is now Room Only and there would be a $700+ per night surcharge to have full board and activities.

I don't think you're being fair here.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Umm, seaplane transfers were never included and always clearly marked as extra. People had Al Maha reservations that were booked as saying "includes full board + 2 activities daily" and then later were told the room is now Room Only and there would be a $700+ per night surcharge to have full board and activities.

You’ve unfortunatel misunderstood.

Bolding mine.

My comments absolutely were not intended to include those whose reservations were changed after having booked with the clear understanding of full board and activities being included. My comments only are intended for those who continue to think Al Maha owes them full board and acitivities even after the new policy announcement was made public.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MilesTalk

You’ve misunderstood me or I wasn’t as clear as intended.

Bolding mine.

My comments absolutely were not intended to include those whose reservations were changed after having booked with the clear understanding of full board and activities being included. My comments only are intended for those who continue to think Al Maha owes them full board and acitivities even after the new policy announcement was made public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.