Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Book future Category 8 hotels (85,000 points) at the Category 7 rate (60,000 points) until March 2019.
These were 35K SPG points or the equivalent of 105K Marriott points, with the all suite properties being at least twice that points level.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Save up to 25,000 points per night when you book future Category 8 hotels at the Category 7 rate until March 2019.

How far into 2020 can we book?
Marriott opens up award availabillity one week at a time on Saturdays. On 1 March 2019 we can book thru 15 Feb 2020.

Hotel list: (thank you, CPRich)
Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort and Spa, Crete
Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d'Ampezzo
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Giardino Ascona, A Member Of Design Hotels
Giardino Mountain, a Member of Design Hotels
Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels™
G-Rough, Rome, a Member of Design Hotels
Hotel Cala di Volpe, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Hotel President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Geneva
Hotel Romazzino, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda
Kenoa Exclusive Beach Spa & Resort, Barra de Sao Miguel, a Member of Design Hotels
Le Méridien Bora Bora
Mystique, A Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini
PalazzinaG, Venice, a Member of Design Hotels
Parklane, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Limassol
Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale
Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris
Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos
Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg
Sir Joan Hotel, Ibiza City, a Member of Design Hotels
Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale
The Chatwal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, New York City
The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice
The Miami Beach EDITION
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour, Miami
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
The St. Regis Aspen Resort
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
The St. Regis Bali Resort
The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
The St. Regis Deer Valley
The St. Regis Florence
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort
The St. Regis New York
The St. Regis Osaka
The St. Regis Princeville Resort
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort
The St. Regis Rome
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
W Koh Samui
W Maldives
W South Beach
W Verbier
Print Wikipost

Booking high end (aspirational) properties at reduced points til 5 March 2019

Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Who can figure out the latest date we can book in 2019? What we know: this discount will be available thru 2018. It's possible this will extend into early 2019, but we don't know that. So let's say that Dec 31 is the final day we can book at this rate. I found this 2015 post by CPRich where he said that we can book 50 (perhaps 51) weeks in advance. Further, he said that Marriott opens up space every Saturday for an additional week at a time. That would mean that we see the furthest dates available on Saturday, Dec 29. 50 weeks ahead would take us to 14 Dec 2019. Who has better intel on this?
I would expect that you can continue to book these soon-to-be Cat 8 properties at reduced Cat 7 rates as long as they are and become available in the schedule before Marriott institutes the new award chart with Cat 8 pricing. At the rate Marriott is managing its IT, I wouldn't be shocked if you can get them booked even during the 2019 holiday period for some!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:54 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Who can figure out the latest date we can book in 2019? What we know: this discount will be available thru 2018. It's possible this will extend into early 2019, but we don't know that. So let's say that Dec 31 is the final day we can book at this rate. I found this 2015 post by CPRich where he said that we can book 50 (perhaps 51) weeks in advance. Further, he said that Marriott opens up space every Saturday for an additional week at a time. That would mean that we see the furthest dates available on Saturday, Dec 29. 50 weeks ahead would take us to 14 Dec 2019. Who has better intel on this?
Your scenario was what was confirmed to me. The important date is booking by 12/31/2018. It doesn’t matter when your stay is as long as it is bookable by that date.

I just booked 5 nights at StR NYC in May and will probably book at least one more 5 night stay at a different future Cat 8 for 2019 before the end of the year. It’s just too sweet a deal to pass up. The same 240000 5 night stay cost the equivalent of 390000 points last March.

Just need to study the list and come up with a game plan.
SanDiego1K and miles4CDG like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:28 pm

Just my 2 cents - I don't think the new cat8 and peak/low season pricing will be in effect exactly on Dec 31, 2018. Given Marriott said "early 2019", and given the massive migration mess by Marriott IT, it just won't happen exactly on that day.
margarita girl and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
I must say that we are huge fans of the New York Edition. We have stayed at most of the Hilton, SPG and Marriott options in the city. That includes Ritz on Central Park South. Edition wins hands down
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:03 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller
I must say that we are huge fans of the New York Edition. We have stayed at most of the Hilton, SPG and Marriott options in the city. That includes Ritz on Central Park South. Edition wins hands down
That's great to learn. At the moment, it's a category 7, which will remain 60K points after the window closes for reduced points required to book category 8 properties.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Edition is frequently available under $400 per night on an FHR rate (which will give you actual benefits, unlike Marriott status). At that price point, 60k for an award is not a good deal at all. In fact, the paid FHR rate would have to be over $500/night for the award to pencil out.

I personally did not like this property at all, though I love the location, which is IMO among the best in Manhattan.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

​​​​​
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Edition is frequently available under $400 per night on an FHR rate (which will give you actual benefits, unlike Marriott status). At that price point, 60k for an award is not a good deal at all. In fact, the paid FHR rate would have to be over $500/night for the award to pencil out.

I personally did not like this property at all, though I love the location, which is IMO among the best in Manhattan.
Wow, two very different opinions. If I can ask, what are the things @Catskilltraveller likes and what are those that @Kacee doesn’t? I can guess that the W-esque vibe appeals to some and not others.

I agree with Kacee that at $400, it isn’t worth using 60K points. And that the location is wonderful. (I’ve also posted these quoted comments in the Mew York Edition thread in case that’s more appropriate.)

I dont entirely agree with Kacee, though, in that there I believe there are elite benefits at the Edition—even if there is no lounge and only a limited breakfast benefit. I’ve stayed once there and was upgraded to a suite as a mere Marriott Platinum (since my matched status didn’t include Ambassador or even Plat Premier), and I also used points for my sister and his husband to stay there on a different occasion and they also upgraded them to a suite as a courtesy to me (I called and asked since it was a special occasion for them). I’d say my pre-Aug 18 status and elite recognition was very good, actually. I’d expect even better elite recognition now that they officially recognize Ambassador status.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Definitely not. They’re the good stuff, but what use is the good stuff if the only benefit you get is a 1000 pt welcome amenity? No breakfast, no lounge, no suite upgrade, no thanks!
i was upgraded to the lake view suite on a paid stay at The Ritz in Geneva just a couple of weeks ago. Yes no breakfast nor lounge but my expectations were already tempered for that 😆.
margarita girl and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I believe there are elite benefits at the Edition—even if there is no lounge and only a limited breakfast benefit.
There is no breakfast benefit whatsoever at Edition. You get late checkout. You theoretically get an upgrade, but NYC Edition is notoriously stingy, and we got not only no upgrade but a very crappy room assignment (and it's not like we booked the cheapest room - this was a very expensive "loft studio," which is one category below a suite).

My issues at this property (apart from the room assignment) were spartan style-over-substance furnishings, a badly stained sofa, a very hard bed, lack of a decent sized closet or indeed any place to put our clothes or luggage (we stacked them on the floor), and incredible stinginess (for example, they gave us only one bar of soap to split between shower and sink).

I really wish we'd had a better experience, because we loved the location.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no breakfast benefit whatsoever at Edition.
I know this is officially true at both Edition and RC hotels. Yet we had comp'd breakfast in the restaurant at RC Kyoto on an award stay. So while it may not be guaranteed, it perhaps is offered at the property's discretion. Perhaps because I was Ambassador status (even though it was well before Aug 18)? Or perhaps because I was lucky.

Either way, I generally look for any excuse to get room service. So the lack of breakfast benefit is largely lost on me. It's nice to have, don't get me wrong. I just don't care if I don't get it since I rarely want to use it! (My husband, OTOH, loves a free breakfast.)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
The location of the Edition is superb. The dining is super ( I enjoy many of the walkable restaurants, especially Union Square and Casa Mono and Gramercy Tavern).

We love the rooms. We have ALWAYS been upgraded to a great room with a great view.

The staff has always been most gracious.

Love the feel, not super cool and dark like a W.

Location is just perfect for us
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UAL,CO
"An unexpected error has"
Obstacles to booking this with the Marriott website are discouraging.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:25 am

Vana Belle has totally shut down online award reservations. Points are now not even a rate option. This was bookable for a while, so it's definitely a deliberate pull-back. Anyone seeing this at the other high end SPG properties?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
I see availability on points using the app.

Are you using the app or a desktop web browser? I have found the app has been the only way to book rewards much of the time...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by smokie
I see availability on points using the app.

Are you using the app or a desktop web browser? I have found the app has been the only way to book rewards much of the time...
I was using the website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.